Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-23 NSIC Season

I know we're technically a few days away from the official start of basketball season, but I figured I'd fire up a new thread for the NSIC conversation since we don't really need the "way too early" thread anymore.

That being said, I think Moorhead123's breakdown of the tiers in the "way too early" thread seemed pretty reasonable to me. I'd love to see Augie climb up into that top tier this year, but there are too many unknowns still to make that prediction today.

Hearing good things about several of the new players, but haven't had a chance to see them myself. Looking forward to those games a month from now to really get an idea of what this season will look like.

I don't see how Duluth and Moorhead wouldn't be considered the favorites this season, with Northern not far behind. The UIU chatter is interesting to me, as everyone keeps saying, "If they can replace Williams and Smoldt..." like those aren't two really difficult guys to replace. The South Division may be down this year. Then again, if Wayne puts the pieces together, we might still have some fire in the South.

Only a few days away from the season starting, which is awesome.

On a side note, we had an exhibition games thread in the past. I'm too lazy to start one of those, but if you know your team has an exhibition game coming up in late-October, early-November, feel free to throw it in here, especially if it's one that will be livestreamed.

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    On a side note, we had an exhibition games thread in the past. I'm too lazy to start one of those, but if you know your team has an exhibition game coming up in late-October, early-November, feel free to throw it in here, especially if it's one that will be livestreamed.
    SMSU exhibitions
    Oct. 22 Alumni Game
    Nov. 4 at St. Olaf

Comment

The way I see UIU is that Williams was hurt a lot last season…so I look at it like UIU really only needs to replace smoldt. That is not an easy task, especially on offense, but smoldt was only an average defender. I think UIU has 5 of their top 7 back from last season.

Comment

Augie scrimmages NDSU in Sioux Falls on Oct. 22.

Comment

https://northernsun.org/news/2022/10...ches-poll.aspx

coaches poll out. No significant surprises in my mind.

Comment

Women's preseason coaches poll:

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Austin Andrews being preseason POY despite not being the best offensive or defensive player on his team is pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Austin Andrews being preseason POY despite not being the best offensive or defensive player on his team is pretty funny.
                Didn’t he win player of the year in the north last season? If so, he was the only option. He is a flopper on defense, but he is a very good player.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how a middle of the road MOSO team from the MIAA fares against two middle of the road teams from the NSIC (Mankato and Winona) in KC on Nov 11-12.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                    Looking forward to seeing one of the NSIC's best (UMD) square off against two of the MIAA's best (MOSO and MoWest) in KC on Nov 5-6.

Comment

I am expecting us to have a great year. We did lose Kai but G-Herbo has made big strides and I expect him to be a 20/10 guy this year… he should be able to lead us to the top of the North. Duluth and Moorhead with be tough to overcome however… anyone hating on Andrews can kick rocks, kid can hoop. One of my daughter’s friends used to date him as well and he is a super nice kid. Goodluck to all this year and can’t wait for NSIC hoops!

Comment

Originally posted by GoMauraders2020 View Post
                        I am expecting us to have a great year. We did lose Kai but G-Herbo has made big strides and I expect him to be a 20/10 guy this year… he should be able to lead us to the top of the North. Duluth and Moorhead with be tough to overcome however… anyone hating on Andrews can kick rocks, kid can hoop. One of my daughter’s friends used to date him as well and he is a super nice kid. Goodluck to all this year and can’t wait for NSIC hoops!
                        So you got Mary winning the north this year? I’d take that wager…

You are right about Andrews. He is a very good player and difficult matchup…very skilled. Looks like he is putting on some extra muscle too.

Comment

So you got Mary winning the north this year? I’d take that wager…

You are right about Andrews. He is a very good player and difficult matchup…very skilled. Looks like he is putting on some extra muscle too.
                          I like them competing for the title. Moorhead is obviously very good as well as Northern returning alot… and we all know what Duluth is capable off. Heard rumors about Charlie Gorres being back for duluth after almost 2 years out because of injury. High flyer who can fill it up and add to their depth, heard he can drink a case of Busch light with the best of them too. I think we have a couple freshman and a transfer who can help right away with what we lost with Kai. Will be tough. Regardless, Im just excited that hoops season is around the corner.

Comment

I like them competing for the title. Moorhead is obviously very good as well as Northern returning alot… and we all know what Duluth is capable off. Heard rumors about Charlie Gorres being back for duluth after almost 2 years out because of injury. High flyer who can fill it up and add to their depth, heard he can drink a case of Busch light with the best of them too. I think we have a couple freshman and a transfer who can help right away with what we lost with Kai. Will be tough. Regardless, Im just excited that hoops season is around the corner.
                            Usually real tough for true freshman to step into nsic and make huge impacts, but maybe Mary got a couple real good ones.

I think Gorres will remain in street clothes. I thought he hung up the jersey due to prior injury problems. He is not dressed in the new team picture. Hopefully he can get back on the court. Not sure he’d be able to get too many minutes with the very strong team UMD will have this year.
                            Last edited by Moorhead123; 10-15-2022, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Sure Andrews can play but is he the best offensive or defensive player on his team?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X