Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Sure Andrews can play but is he the best offensive or defensive player on his team?
    Quite possibly yes to both questions. He averaged 18, 10 and 3 last year. He also shot 64% from the field. Brown and Blair are also very good on offense, but they both play on the perimeter so difficult to compare. Brown also a very good defender.

Comment

I noticed one national pollster picked NW Missouri #1 and UMD #4 in his preseason top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
        I noticed one national pollster picked NW Missouri #1 and UMD #4 in his preseason top 10.
        Is this the one you're referring to? - https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...er-10-rankings

Some interesting comments about several Central Region teams in this article. I'll just pull out/quote the stuff pertaining to Central Region teams (plus a special appearance from a South Central Region team).

NWMSU:
        He writes quite about the Bearcats in the article intro:

There’s not much reason to think things change in 2022-23. And that’s why Northwest Missouri State enters the season as the No. 1 team in the country.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. How does a team that loses Trevor Hudgins even compete? Because the Bearcats have been doing this for years. Whether it was Justin Pitts, Joey Witthus, Ryan Hawkins, or Hudgins, Northwest seems to reload very easily. With Diego Bernard back in Maryville, along with cohorts like Wes Dreamer, Luke Waters, Mitch Mascari, and Isaiah Jackson, there is plenty of fuel to fire yet another run to Evansville, Indiana.
        Then gets to his poll/commentary here:

The 2022-23 DII men’s basketball preseason Power 10 rankings

No. 1 Northwest Missouri State: Anyone remember last year, when the Bearcats had a whopping five losses and were ranked No. 10 in the nation heading into the tournament? We saw how that turned out. Head coach Ben McCollum has created a beast, and it is one that is still hungry for more. His Bearcats have gone 193-13 with four titles since 2016-17.
        No. 4 Minnesota Duluth: You may think I’m nuts having the Bulldogs ranked so highly, but this team is scary good. Last year was a season that ended with a large “what if?” What if Austin Andrews was healthy in that tournament game? There is no denying this team had the talent to make a run, and this year, we will get to see. Eleven players return, including Andrews and the rest of the starting rotation. Last year this team was very good as a bunch of young and hungry ballers. Now that they are experienced, watch out.
        (Just throwing this one in for our new South Central Region friend from the other thread...)
        No. 6 West Texas A&M: Head coach Tom Brown simply doesn’t know how to lose. Last year was another big season, reeling off 29 wins before running into the Cinderella Yellow Jackets in the tournament. The top three scorers from last season — Julius Brown, Larry Wise and Zach Toussaint — are back as well as some potential impact transfers. Lubbock Christian came on strong last year, so the Lone Star will be a battle, but the Buffs have the experience to rise among the top once again.
        First five out (in alphabetical order)
        • Augustana (SD): Some see this as a rebuilding year, but does Tom Billeter ever really rebuild, or simply reload? Some of the best scorers in the NSIC are gone from this team, but there's still plenty to watch.
        • Central Oklahoma: Part of an absolutely stacked Central Region, there’s a lot to like about the Bronchos. They lost their top scorer, but just about everyone else returns with a trio of impact transfers waiting in the wings.
        • Northern State: It says something when a 20-win season is a “down year” for your program. If we were ranking by number, the Wolves are my No. 11 and may be too low. They return all of their top scorers for a very experienced team.
        Also considered (in alphabetical order): MSU Moorhead, Upper Iowa

I appreciate his commentary about Augustana, but I think I'll need to see some proof they belong in that "first five out" category before I feel good about that spot. :) #apostleofapprehension

Comment

Yea, that’s the guy. I know he doesn’t do real deep dives into each region/conference, but I always find it funny when they jump over teams from the coaches poll. I know Augie and nsu programs have earned national respect, but I still think if nsu (or Augie) was picked #16 in the nsic preseason coaches poll this guy would have said/written the same thing about them.

Comment

Just throwing this one in for our new South Central Region friend from the other thread..

Thanks - Tom Brown is a very good coach - his teams are well-coached and play hard. They are fun to watch
            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
              Just throwing this one in for our new South Central Region friend from the other thread..

Thanks - Tom Brown is a very good coach - his teams are well-coached and play hard. They are fun to watch
              ALL of the Winona fans were glad to see Brown and Gove go. Good riddance they said. I think wsufamily was driving the bus out of town for them ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

ALL of the Winona fans were glad to see Brown and Gove go. Good riddance they said. I think wsufamily was driving the bus out of town for them ;)
                Sarcasm right?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Bring back John and cheesefactor!!!

Comment

Gone are the days of Toucan talking down to us and yelling at me...now he's been replaced by a different person at a different school and I almost miss him.

Comment

man what happened to John?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

man what happened to John?
                        I do miss some of the old comrades.

Comment

Anybody else go back and forth between this message board and the old d2basketball.com back in the day?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Sarcasm right?
                            I mean, maybe just a little bit

Comment

NABC Preseason Poll has UMD at #7, Augustana #18, MSUM #21 and UIU #22.

NW Missouri St. is #1.

Comment

Having been around Quincy Henderson for several years at WT, I think St. Cloud got one of the brightest young coaches in the nation. Give Q a couple of years and he's have St. Cloud competing for championships. Bet on it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X