Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Martin sighting today. Cam made his first appearance on the court for KU today, coming back from his shoulder injury. He played just a few minutes, but he was out there with several of their starters. Glad to see Cam make his debut, and glad to see him meeting his goal of coming back for the Mizzou game.

Comment

The #9 Lady Lions lost to Pitt State at home 87-79 last night. Lacy Stokes had a huge game with 28 points. The teams overall effort was not there last night, with a very poor defensive effort. The ladies are now finding out that it is much more difficult to be the hunted than the hunter. Currently struggling to defend mobile post players and the 3 point shooters. The remainder of the week will be very tough with trips to Fort Hays and Kearney. Will learn a lot about the ladies this week.

The men played very well last night, winning their 4th consecutive game 84-63. Solid overall effort on both ends of the floor and our most well-rounded performance yet. Winston Dessesow is really breaking out now. Sam Thompson played very aggressive and had a very good performance. If this version of Sam shows up every night, we'll be a tough out. Christian Bundy took the challenge of matching up with DeShaun English and outplayed him. Christian's best performance of the year. It was great handing Coach Boschee a loss against his former team! Tough road trip coming up the rest of this week.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
        The #9 Lady Lions lost to Pitt State at home 87-79 last night. Lacy Stokes had a huge game with 28 points. The teams overall effort was not there last night, with a very poor defensive effort. The ladies are now finding out that it is much more difficult to be the hunted than the hunter. Currently struggling to defend mobile post players and the 3 point shooters. The remainder of the week will be very tough with trips to Fort Hays and Kearney. Will learn a lot about the ladies this week.

The men played very well last night, winning their 4th consecutive game 84-63. Solid overall effort on both ends of the floor and our most well-rounded performance yet. Winston Dessesow is really breaking out now. Sam Thompson played very aggressive and had a very good performance. If this version of Sam shows up every night, we'll be a tough out. Christian Bundy took the challenge of matching up with DeShaun English and outplayed him. Christian's best performance of the year. It was great handing Coach Boschee a loss against his former team! Tough road trip coming up the rest of this week.
        Womens bball is just brutal in the miaa. IMO any team from this league that makes the tournament has a decent elite eight shot.

Comment

TE=southside;n731566]

Womens bball is just brutal in the miaa. IMO any team from this league that makes the tournament has a decent elite eight shot. [/QUOTE]

The top 5 or 6 teams are really, really good. Seems like the bottom tier may be a little worse than last year. Haven't figured out Emporia yet...that loss to Newman is pretty ugly. If Western can minimize their stretches where they lose their minds on the offensive end of the floor they'd probably have one or two more conference wins. You can be successful with a stretch of 3 or 4 bad possessions, but when you string more than that and do it more than once (vs Hays) you aren't going to beat good teams. Western has a tough stretch in a couple weeks UCM @ home, @ Hays and @ UNK in an 8 day stretch will be very telling. Before that @NW, @ Newman and @ UCO...those teams haven't shown much so far. Last year NW drug Western into their game at NW and won ugly 49-46...we'll see if they can do that again this year (Haven't been impressed with NW so far this year...struggled to beat a bad Rogers team at home isn't a good sign for them...)

Is it just me or has Washburn really dropped off this year? Not that they were elite last year, but they were quite a bit better than they seem to be this year.

Haven't seen UCM in person yet, watched a couple games on MIAA TV and they're better than I thought they'd be without Collier this year...I'd hate to see them with a healthy Graycen Holden.

Should be a really fun 2nd half of the conference season!

Comment

In regards to NW, they are in a tough spot. Austin is essentially coaching on his own after Addae resigned right before the season. 2 projected starters out for the year, 1 rotation player out for the year, and another rotation player has been out with serious illness for the last month or so. That's where they are currently and doesn't include earlier injuries where players missed a game or two here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
              In regards to NW, they are in a tough spot. Austin is essentially coaching on his own after Addae resigned right before the season. 2 projected starters out for the year, 1 rotation player out for the year, and another rotation player has been out with serious illness for the last month or so. That's where they are currently and doesn't include earlier injuries where players missed a game or two here and there.
              Other than Atwood, who else are you referring to?

I feel for her...just can't stay healthy. Talked with her right before the season, she was optimistic she'd be ready to go by the first game...hasn't played much and in the limited time I've seen her, she didn't look 100%.

Comment

Really? I didn’t know an assistant abruptly quit. He was getting a little traction too.

washburn has a new coach right? I expect it to take a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
                  TE=southside;n731566]

Womens bball is just brutal in the miaa. IMO any team from this league that makes the tournament has a decent elite eight shot.
                  The top 5 or 6 teams are really, really good. Seems like the bottom tier may be a little worse than last year. Haven't figured out Emporia yet...that loss to Newman is pretty ugly. If Western can minimize their stretches where they lose their minds on the offensive end of the floor they'd probably have one or two more conference wins. You can be successful with a stretch of 3 or 4 bad possessions, but when you string more than that and do it more than once (vs Hays) you aren't going to beat good teams. Western has a tough stretch in a couple weeks UCM @ home, @ Hays and @ UNK in an 8 day stretch will be very telling. Before that @NW, @ Newman and @ UCO...those teams haven't shown much so far. Last year NW drug Western into their game at NW and won ugly 49-46...we'll see if they can do that again this year (Haven't been impressed with NW so far this year...struggled to beat a bad Rogers team at home isn't a good sign for them...)

Is it just me or has Washburn really dropped off this year? Not that they were elite last year, but they were quite a bit better than they seem to be this year.

Haven't seen UCM in person yet, watched a couple games on MIAA TV and they're better than I thought they'd be without Collier this year...I'd hate to see them with a healthy Graycen Holden.

Should be a really fun 2nd half of the conference season![/QUOTE]

You’re right about the top 5 or 6. There will be a few pretty good teams sitting at home in march. Regarding MWSU they play so fast that when it’s working it’s hard to beat but when they need to slow down it’s hard to tap the brakes. It’s obviously how the coach want them to play so they will need to live and die with that style. Reminds me a little of Roy Williams KU teams that could run people out of the gym but struggled in the half court.

Comment

Other than Atwood, who else are you referring to?

I feel for her...just can't stay healthy. Talked with her right before the season, she was optimistic she'd be ready to go by the first game...hasn't played much and in the limited time I've seen her, she didn't look 100%.
                    Atwood tore ACL again. She has graduated so not sure if she'll want to go through process to play again. Rau is the other starter. She may be done playing as well. Gillig has been ill. She was playing rotation minutes and was recruited by UCM out of high school until she was injured so she has potential. Just been a tough year on a number of fronts. Joseph could have been another rotation player but injured before season and I think she's done for the year but not sure on that.

Comment

Originally posted by southside View Post

Really? I didn’t know an assistant abruptly quit. He was getting a little traction too.

washburn has a new coach right? I expect it to take a few years.
                      There is an interim assistant but it's not ideal when the assistant resigns shortly before season begins. Options are limited at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by southside View Post

Should be a really fun 2nd half of the conference season!
                        You’re right about the top 5 or 6. There will be a few pretty good teams sitting at home in march. Regarding MWSU they play so fast that when it’s working it’s hard to beat but when they need to slow down it’s hard to tap the brakes. It’s obviously how the coach want them to play so they will need to live and die with that style. Reminds me a little of Roy Williams KU teams that could run people out of the gym but struggled in the half court. [/QUOTE]

They're pace on offense is tough for teams to keep up with...it's the 5 to 10 possessions where their shot selection goes to hell that is so costly against really good teams which does seem to happen in their half court, but when it does happen it tends to leak into their running game during that ugly stretch...it's like they lose their minds for a little while! Lately their defense has been really active which should help them more in those upper tier conference matchups...season started with 3 of the first 5 vs. top of the conference plus Pitt too (not sure if they're in the top though they did beat MoSo...so maybe they are). Then that 3 game stretch starting Jan 21st could tell us a lot about the conference could shake out.

Definitely fun to watch...excited to watch them next year when my daughter is out of MIAA jail...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Comment

Atwood tore ACL again. She has graduated so not sure if she'll want to go through process to play again. Rau is the other starter. She may be done playing as well. Gillig has been ill. She was playing rotation minutes and was recruited by UCM out of high school until she was injured so she has potential. Just been a tough year on a number of fronts. Joseph could have been another rotation player but injured before season and I think she's done for the year but not sure on that.
                          So wait...she tore it a 3rd time? She played on her 2nd torn ACL last season then had surgery...so again or just hasn't healed up from the 2nd one? I'd heard she was not going to come back next year...who could blame her, she's had a horrible string of luck...feel really bad for her. AM had told me 2 years ago she was his best player, unfortunately I never saw her play healthy.

Didn't realize Rau was hurt too, I had heard she was done playing but nothing was said about an injury...with the way Fields is playing I doubt she would have been a starter, but it's always good to have an able big body in this league. I guess I haven't seen Gillig play.

The thing with NW is nobody on their roster really scares you, they don't have anyone you have to prepare for. You look at the best teams in the league they have 2 or 3 of those types of players and the lower echelon teams don't really have any. Last year they played really well as a team and won some games they probably shouldn't have, so far this year that hasn't played out. They have a chance to repeat what they did last year beating Western at home in an ugly 49-46 affair.

Comment

From my understanding it was partially torn last year and she played through it. Tried to manage her minutes at beginning of this year but she tore it completely again.

Rau started 19 of the 26 she played in last year so I included her in starter role, at minimum splitting post minutes.

Agree on no one who scares the other team but they've been that way for awhile. Takes some winning to start getting those types of players. They've been making progress but this year has been a struggle due to those issues outlined earlier. I thought they had a chance to be in top 4 or 5 this year before season began.

Comment

From my understanding it was partially torn last year and she played through it. Tried to manage her minutes at beginning of this year but she tore it completely again.

Rau started 19 of the 26 she played in last year so I included her in starter role, at minimum splitting post minutes.

Agree on no one who scares the other team but they've been that way for awhile. Takes some winning to start getting those types of players. They've been making progress but this year has been a struggle due to those issues outlined earlier. I thought they had a chance to be in top 4 or 5 this year before season began.
                              Damn...hadn't heard that. That sucks.

Didn't Fields start for her later in the year? Maybe I'm misrembering.

I was impressed how much Fields improved from the beginning of the season to the end. She's a beast on the boards.

Top 4 or 5, I wouldn't have thought that high maybe similar to last year by making the Tournament.

May struggle doing that with their schedule. Beating MoSo definitely helps their case.

Roster management hasn't yet proven to be a strength.

Comment

Top 4 or 5, I wouldn't have thought that high maybe similar to last year by making the Tournament.

May struggle doing that with their schedule. Beating MoSo definitely helps their case.

Roster management hasn't yet proven to be a strength.
                                Finished 6th in league last year and only lost 1 senior who played substantial number of games/minutes.

Win against Southern was last year. Lost at their place this year so far.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X