Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA Coaching Changes

So far three Coaching positions are open. two womens positions and one mens position

WOMEN:
    Northeastern State - Hired Keith Ferguson from NAIA Bethany College
    Emporia State - Hired K-State Assoc. HC Brian Ostermann
    Fort Hays State - Talia Kahrs announced as HC same day as Tony Hobson's retirement
    Nebraska-Kearney - Hired Drew Johnson from Newman
    Newman -

MEN:
    Central Missouri - Hired Adam Bohac from Southern Nazarene
    Last edited by AlexTheHAMMER; 05-10-2023, 07:59 AM.

Thanks, that's good info, keep us up to date.

Comment

Update: Updated Central Missouri closing with new Head Coach. Link: https://ucmathletics.com/news/2023/3...l-history.aspx

Home run hire here for Central Missouri in this situation. Proven winner in the NAIA and NCAA D2 levels.

Fort Hays WBB also made a change but it was in-house. Longtime assistant Talia Kahrs will now be HC. https://fhsuathletics.com/news/2023/...asketball.aspx

I liked Tony and I will miss him. I wish him well in a deserved retirement and hope it isnt long before we see him inducted into the Fort Hays HOF.

There are still unfilled women's openings at Emporia State and Northeastern State.

Comment

Northeastern State has named their new head coach, hiring NAIA Bethany's Keith Ferguson. Link: https://goriverhawksgo.com/news/2023...all-coach.aspx

If I were looking within the KCAC, I wouldve been town between K.C. Bassett at Sterling or Keith Ferguson. Bassett is a proven NAIA winner, while Ferguson has D1/JUCO expierence.

Emporia State women's remains the only open position

Comment

Big change at UNK

WBB Coach Eighmey headed to Idaho.

https://govandals.com/news/2023/4/28...ead-coach.aspx

Comment

ESU has their coach :
            https://esuhornets.com/news/2023/4/2...all-coach.aspx

Comment

UNK has a new coach, and he's coming from within the conference.

Drew Johnson Named Head Women’s Basketball Coach at UNK - https://lopers.com/news/2023/5/9/wom...ch-at-unk.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post
                UNK has a new coach, and he's coming from within the conference.

Drew Johnson Named Head Women’s Basketball Coach at UNK - https://lopers.com/news/2023/5/9/wom...ch-at-unk.aspx
                What's the talk about this hire from the Loper faithful?

Do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

What's the talk about this hire from the Loper faithful?

Do you like it?
                  I would love to hear thoughts of those that actually follow MIAA Women's basketball and also UNK fans!!

As a follower of the league I am very surprised by this hire for UNK!! Were they just trying to hurry up and get the job filled?? It has not even been 2 weeks since the announcement. Figure the first couple days is getting things lined out and making some phone calls to see who might be interested. Initial interview probably over zoom and then campus visit. I would imagine their would have been some people interested in the position even if it out of conference or even NAIA. Hard to understand this one but I might be wrong in the future.

A good move for Coach Johnson and Nicole.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerAlum View Post

I would love to hear thoughts of those that actually follow MIAA Women's basketball and also UNK fans!!

As a follower of the league I am very surprised by this hire for UNK!! Were they just trying to hurry up and get the job filled?? It has not even been 2 weeks since the announcement. Figure the first couple days is getting things lined out and making some phone calls to see who might be interested. Initial interview probably over zoom and then campus visit. I would imagine their would have been some people interested in the position even if it out of conference or even NAIA. Hard to understand this one but I might be wrong in the future.

A good move for Coach Johnson and Nicole.
                    I think it is quite obvious UNK is a better job than Newman. Definitely a good move for coach.

I am surprised also. I've been to 6 games vs. Newman in the last 3 years, plus watching several on the MIAA Network and I've not been impressed with him as a HC. Newman got a little better while he was there, made the MIAA tourney once...which is probably a big deal for them.

Did the UNK AD have a connection or previously worked with him?

Totally agree it seems to be a quick move and I would have thought that job would have been attractive enough to have some very qualified applicants. Maybe this change happened too late in the cycle and the AD felt they had to move quickly.

UNK looked to be taking a step back this year with the players they lost to graduation, I think this pushes them back further. Adding to how different the league is likely to look next season.

Will any players other than Sarah Schmidt be going to Idaho? Will any others leave with the coaching change?

I've been surprised coach Johnson and Nicole haven't been able to grab better talent at Newman with their connections to the club ball scene. Hell, maybe that changes with them being at UNK where by all accounts the support is significantly better.

I'm definitely interested in what the Loper faithful think about this move.

Comment

I'm a bit mixed. I like Johnson as a coach, and I am a fan of what he's done at Newman in a short time. However I have some hesitation with the short time that he had at Newman. Yes he had success, but that was only in a two year stretch.

Had the UNK job opened up a few years down the road, and Johnson had continued success at Newman, I would not have any hesitation.

Bauer wanted to have a short turnaround with the Ryan Held hire, wanting a head coach named by Christmas. He delivered on December 20. There was 7 days from the Lynn departure to the Held hire. I think this quick turnaround was so that the players had the opportunity to meet their head coach before finals week (UNK is currently in dead week, and finals week is next week.)

As for not being able to get talent at Newman, tuition at Newman (before any scholarships) is around $16,200/semester alone (add in fees and there's about $44,000/year), meanwhile the overall cost for UNK is $18,900/year. Sure youll get a large chunk of financial aid (i plugged in my numbers into the Newman cost calculator and I would get about 20,000/year in aid) but the sticker shock pushes some away from a private institution such as Newman

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post
                        I'm a bit mixed. I like Johnson as a coach, and I am a fan of what he's done at Newman in a short time. However I have some hesitation with the short time that he had at Newman. Yes he had success, but that was only in a two year stretch.

Had the UNK job opened up a few years down the road, and Johnson had continued success at Newman, I would not have any hesitation.

Bauer wanted to have a short turnaround with the Ryan Held hire, wanting a head coach named by Christmas. He delivered on December 20. There was 7 days from the Lynn departure to the Held hire. I think this quick turnaround was so that the players had the opportunity to meet their head coach before finals week (UNK is currently in dead week, and finals week is next week.)

As for not being able to get talent at Newman, tuition at Newman (before any scholarships) is around $16,200/semester alone (add in fees and there's about $44,000/year), meanwhile the overall cost for UNK is $18,900/year. Sure youll get a large chunk of financial aid (i plugged in my numbers into the Newman cost calculator and I would get about 20,000/year in aid) but the sticker shock pushes some away from a private institution such as Newman
                        I have no idea if Newman is fully funded or not...10 fulls...15 players, evenly divided is 75% leaving about $11k to cover...not great, but not terribly expensive for some...Pell Grant is between $5500 and $6, plus $5k in academic help and you're pretty much there. Or you rely on your recruiting to find 10 girls that can make a team and give them full rides. It is more difficult, but not impossible.

Personal opinion, if you're a high dollar private institution trying to compete in an elite D2 conference, you'd better be well funded.

Comment

I agree that the hire seemed quick. Regardless of the reasons for it, hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt them.

Johnson has shown the ability to be a program builder, but the sample size is small. UNK will be a rebuilding job with all of the changes within the program, so it could be the right place at the right time. However, it could also be a disaster if Johnson can't replicate his past successes.

I can't really grade the hire because of his relatively short resume in the college game and because he's coming in at a time of big transition for the UNK team as a whole. I'd be more comfortable if he was taking over a proven, experienced roster. There are just a lot of question marks.

Comment

Rogers State WBB has opened. Kyle Bent is departing after going 40-94 with the Hillcats in the past five seasons.

https://rsuhillcats.com/news/2023/5/...all-coach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post
                              Rogers State WBB has opened. Kyle Bent is departing after going 40-94 with the Hillcats in the past five seasons.

https://rsuhillcats.com/news/2023/5/...all-coach.aspx
                              Almost half the league with coaching turnover. Wonder if that's happened before.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X