Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

They are much different. St Cloud admits 94% of students. Basically anyone that’s dumb enough to apply there. MSU admits 69%, which is less than UofM, U of Iowa, and all the other Minnesota State schools. Even below prestigious Augustana at 72%. I do understand the amount of applicants obviously varies though.

So in actuality, they have one of the lower acceptance rates in the upper Midwest. Strange that he’s so wrong…
    Just think what Mankato could be if any of their graduates were to ever stay connected to the school.

I hear it from a person who works there but it just always floors me how little alumni support a school of that size has

Comment

They are much different. St Cloud admits 94% of students. Basically anyone that’s dumb enough to apply there. MSU admits 69%, which is less than UofM, U of Iowa, and all the other Minnesota State schools. Even below prestigious Augustana at 72%. I do understand the amount of applicants obviously varies though.

So in actuality, they have one of the lower acceptance rates in the upper Midwest. Strange that he’s so wrong…
      Honest and sincere question. Is a "lower acceptance rate" a good thing when applied to a publicly funded institution that was created to be an access point for all students?

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Honest and sincere question. Is a "lower acceptance rate" a good thing when applied to a publicly funded institution that was created to be an access point for all students?
        I suppose it all depends on what your institution is capable of serving. Could be good or bad in that regard. MSU is growing still, which is unbelievably rare these days.

Also, this isn’t me defending MSU. I just wanted to feed the troll and point out that it wasn’t the easiest to get accepted into. At the end of the day, who the F cares?? Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Just think what Mankato could be if any of their graduates were to ever stay connected to the school.

I hear it from a person who works there but it just always floors me how little alumni support a school of that size has
          Alumni support isn’t generally the issue. The bigger issue is the university and the city have always had a sour relationship and haven’t been able to figure it out. That said, as with most places, alumni support could certainly be better.

If we’re talking mens basketball alumni support. Then yeah…MSU would probably be last (or maybe just above Winona and St Cloud these days).

Comment

I remember one year that scsu played at mankato and it was mankato's alumni night and they had 3 guys come out. Although the ding-a-ling currently at scsu isn't doing much better as they only had 7 guys show up this year. Down from the 30-35 they had been getting in the previous years. I suppose that thats what happens when you won't return emails from alumni that want to try and support you.(no not me, that will never happen as long as he's there)

Comment

Alumni support isn’t generally the issue. The bigger issue is the university and the city have always had a sour relationship and haven’t been able to figure it out. That said, as with most places, alumni support could certainly be better.

If we’re talking mens basketball alumni support. Then yeah…MSU would probably be last (or maybe just above Winona and St Cloud these days).
              It's definitely an issue...

We had to be there for mankatos homecoming a few years back and the tailgate was about eight parking spots with no one in it.

I have family that works there and with talking to them and another that works there I was floored by how much of a struggle they said it is to get more people to give back. At the time it was something like less than 1% of alumni or something.

Northern is about 1/4 or 1/5 the size of Mankato. We just had a giving day and had 1500 people donate a total of $391,000, in 24 hours.

Mankato is doing the same type of deal for an entire week and last year barely broke 100,000

This isn't a horn tooting, just has always floored me how Mankato can be such a large school but have so bad of support.

It just seems like Northern is a small school trying to be big and Mankato is a big school that thinks they are small, haha.

I'm assuming part of being close to the goofers, but ill never understand why youd rather cheer for them over the Mavericks.

Comment

Just a few observations, might be accurate, might not:

1. Mankato's student population is likely much more diverse than Northern's. They have a high percentage of international students who would be less likely to give as college athletics in much of the rest of the world are non-existent.

2. Last year, the tail-gating at the warm weather games was strong, the purple lot on the east side was pretty full.

3. There is the shadow of the big school in Dinkytown, for sure. But at least with hockey having a generation in Division I now, they are really carving out their niche there. Hopefully they can keep the momentum up with Hastings gone.

4. Alumni support? They got $500,000 for a new video board and some refurbishing at Taylor Center this year. That's no small beans.

5. I think there are a few people in town who still have a pretty sour taste about the Homecoming riots, but that was what, 15 years ago now?

6. No offense, but what else is there to do in Aberdeen but go to a game? Being the only game in town really helps them there.

Fire away...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post

1. Mankato's student population is likely much more diverse than Northern's. They have a high percentage of international students who would be less likely to give as college athletics in much of the rest of the world are non-existent.

2. Last year, the tail-gating at the warm weather games was strong, the purple lot on the east side was pretty full.

3. There is the shadow of the big school in Dinkytown, for sure. But at least with hockey having a generation in Division I now, they are really carving out their niche there. Hopefully they can keep the momentum up with Hastings gone.

4. Alumni support? They got $500,000 for a new video board and some refurbishing at Taylor Center this year. That's no small beans.

5. I think there are a few people in town who still have a pretty sour taste about the Homecoming riots, but that was what, 15 years ago now?

6. No offense, but what else is there to do in Aberdeen but go to a game? Being the only game in town really helps them there.

Fire away...
                  I mean...what I said is info that cones directly from Mankato employees so it isn't like I'm making it up.

Number 1 is funny to me. During my time Northern was at minimum 10% international students. But again, we are comparing schools with incredibly big differences in overall enrollment.

2. Tailgating isn't close, currently

3. I already alluded to possibly the Gophers thing.

4. 500k isn't small, but Northern did 100 million in nearly exclusively private dollars just lately.

5. I hadn't heard of the riots. I think we'll agree in not understanding them in any circumstance.

6. Always makes me giggle. Ive been to mankato a lot. It really just has more of the same as Aberdeen. Obviously, it is just under double the size.

But, in making it relative to what we are talking about...we were talking about alumni support. It isn't like every alumni live in either mankato or aberdeen so game attendance is irrelevant.

If we want to talk attendance though games are on tv for free so you don't have to spend $20 for a ticket. There is always something else you can do besides go to a game. The difference is in choosing to go or not to go.

All this said, my origmeal point was mainly of what Mankato could be, which is right on par with the old NCC foes that moved up, but from what I'm told directly, unless things greatly improve, that isn't a reality.

Good news (not for me personally) is, Mankato and Augie continue to run this conference top to bottom ;)

Comment

According to the MSU website, this spring there are 1709 International Students from 103 different countries. According to the most recent data I could find (2021) in that year Northern State had 69 International Students (nice).

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

It's definitely an issue...

We had to be there for mankatos homecoming a few years back and the tailgate was about eight parking spots with no one in it.

I have family that works there and with talking to them and another that works there I was floored by how much of a struggle they said it is to get more people to give back. At the time it was something like less than 1% of alumni or something.

Northern is about 1/4 or 1/5 the size of Mankato. We just had a giving day and had 1500 people donate a total of $391,000, in 24 hours.

Mankato is doing the same type of deal for an entire week and last year barely broke 100,000

This isn't a horn tooting, just has always floored me how Mankato can be such a large school but have so bad of support.

It just seems like Northern is a small school trying to be big and Mankato is a big school that thinks they are small, haha.

I'm assuming part of being close to the goofers, but ill never understand why youd rather cheer for them over the Mavericks.
                      Northern has their stuff together as far as community support and alumni support. I wish my alma mater would duplicate some of what they do

Comment

Fire away...
                        you are correct on the U of M factor. But Northern has SDSU to compete with and given the relative sizes of the MN vs SD, SDSU blueprint is just as big as U of M.

I would say pro sports are a bigger obstacle for the Minnesota schools. People pay attention to the pro sports more so.

I would say the Metro focus in Minnesota kills the smaller colleges (except St. Johns)

and to be fair what can you do in Mankato that you can't do in Abderdeen? I'm not talking about the Twin Cities, Mankato itself.

Comment

According to the MSU website, this spring there are 1709 International Students from 103 different countries. According to the most recent data I could find (2021) in that year Northern State had 69 International Students (nice).
                          good data

Comment

Fire away...
                            Mankato is just big enough many of the students simply go to school there. Northern is just small enough that students look for things to do. I have a HS buddy who went to Mankato. Huge sports fan. Stayed in Mankato. A few years ago, I was going over to watch basketball and invited him to join me. He had not been to a basketball game in 15 years ! Had not been to a football game in 25! loves hoops too - just never went. and I go to all the SMSU stuff. Just not on his radar. Interesting FWIW

Comment

LOL

Oof...good data. There was over three hundred during my time there. But, I'm old now

Comment

This is a point of pride? How many are chinese nationals "Uffda" From my college days in the late 70's, international students stayed in their own groups and didn't attend many athletic events.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X