Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libertybearcat
    replied
    Just saw Ben's other signee, Marcus Glock is still coming to NW.

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied
    Originally posted by ClayCoCat View Post

No, but the remaining starters did leave.
    100% true...but that's not everyone as you stated. Two starters (Wes & Mitch) graduated and one part time starter (Byron) stayed. IMO, keeping 9 guys says quite a bit. Jaran Richman did a great job keeping those guys around until the new coach was hired to make their decision.

Leave a comment:

• northwest missouri state
    replied
    no question it’s hurt the sport and blows for fans but it’s here to stay. make peace with it to whatever extent you need to or find a new hobby. i don’t say that flippantly it just is what it is

the positive side is if yer in the toilet that can change fast.

Leave a comment:

• ClayCoCat
    replied
    Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Insinuate? Nah...just stating a fact that of 12 players on the roster, 75% didn't follow Ben to Drake or even leave. :)
    No, but the remaining starters did leave.

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Maybe this is why the transfer portal was put into place as it is today. The NCAA understands that, so rather than going through case by case in each situation to see the circumstances of the transfer before approval, there's now a blanket approval, so you don't even need to apply per se.

However, where the NCAA ran into major trouble is that combined with the NIL. The NIL turned from "here's away to earn some of the money we've made off of you" to "these teams are going to have a bidding war for your services". It's bribery, not getting paid for your service.
    NIL is where the real problem lies. I don’t blame the kids and again… I’m talking more in the D1 level, but if you have talent to capitalize, it’s probably foolish to not enter free agency (the portal) at least once during your career since there is no penalty in doing so.

To your point, it was made to allow students to profit off of their name, image and likeness. It’s definitely not that, and it’s not even pay for play because kids are getting huge money just to come to these schools before they ever play a game. It was never supposed to be a recruiting tool, but they lost all control of it and now without having to sit a year, schools, boosters, agents, or whomever are even recruiting kids off of other teams with NIL money. I’m a Mizzou fan and they’ve done pretty well with the portal (in football anyway) and I still hate it.

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Are you trying to insinuate that some people are fantastically catastrophizing the portal?????
    Insinuate? Nah...just stating a fact that of 12 players on the roster, 75% didn't follow Ben to Drake or even leave. :)

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied
    Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

9 guys stayed...3 left, so far one of the 2 signees went with Ben. Hardly "all leaving"
    Are you trying to insinuate that some people are fantastically catastrophizing the portal?????

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I hate the portal in combination with unregulated NIL and the hot mess it’s created on the D1 level. I do feel like on the D1 level, they should reinstate the sit out a year if they transfer rule to stop some of the madness, but that’s just me. However, and this pertains to the current situation at NW, I believe waivers should be granted to players when coaches leave a program. Coaches aren’t loyal to schools (I’m not questioning Ben’s loyalty… just in general), and I don’t think a player that goes to play for a coach should be handcuffed by him/her leaving. They didn’t sign up to play for someone they never met, so I can’t see any reason why I would force them to stay. On top of that, a coach or a school can pull a scholarship and give it to a new player anytime they want if they don’t feel that player is going to benefit the program… where’s the loyalty in that? That probably doesn’t happen as much at the D2 level, but it absolutely happens. I’m sure it wouldn’t bother anyone if it was the last 3 guys off the bench…
    Maybe this is why the transfer portal was put into place as it is today. The NCAA understands that, so rather than going through case by case in each situation to see the circumstances of the transfer before approval, there's now a blanket approval, so you don't even need to apply per se.

However, where the NCAA ran into major trouble is that combined with the NIL. The NIL turned from "here's away to earn some of the money we've made off of you" to "these teams are going to have a bidding war for your services". It's bribery, not getting paid for your service.

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied
    I hate the portal in combination with unregulated NIL and the hot mess it’s created on the D1 level. I do feel like on the D1 level, they should reinstate the sit out a year if they transfer rule to stop some of the madness, but that’s just me. However, and this pertains to the current situation at NW, I believe waivers should be granted to players when coaches leave a program. Coaches aren’t loyal to schools (I’m not questioning Ben’s loyalty… just in general), and I don’t think a player that goes to play for a coach should be handcuffed by him/her leaving. They didn’t sign up to play for someone they never met, so I can’t see any reason why I would force them to stay. On top of that, a coach or a school can pull a scholarship and give it to a new player anytime they want if they don’t feel that player is going to benefit the program… where’s the loyalty in that? That probably doesn’t happen as much at the D2 level, but it absolutely happens. I’m sure it wouldn’t bother anyone if it was the last 3 guys off the bench…

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied
    I can't help but feel disillusioned with college sports now with all this transfer portal business .Example: the Bearcat basketball team all leaving to follow their coach to Drake. Is there no loyalty to the school anymore? Just leave to wherever suits you now is the name of the game. To me, it's quite disheartening to see the players you cheered for just leave your school. Taking away consequences for leaving has hurt the fans imo.
    9 guys stayed...3 left, so far one of the 2 signees went with Ben. Hardly "all leaving"

Leave a comment:

• southside
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

To look at it from the other side:
    Would you rather have an option to better* your current placement in life, or have others dictate you must remain exactly as is for 4-5 years for their entertainment?

*I say that knowing full well many people will disagree with the term better. But unfortunately most of us don’t have the gift of hindsight during the decision making process.

Let’s also not pretend that schools are loyal to students, either. As mentioned in another post, kids commit to coaches most of the time. Schools just churn and burn students, they are a commodity. And then ask them for money after they graduate…
    +1

I get it but…the transfer portal isn’t really new anymore. Wasn’t it around 2018 that it changed. I would say Nw bball dodged it for basically 6 years. My guess is that it was strictly due to Ben and his character. You could go all the way back to hudgins coming back year after year when he probably could’ve gone to a major d1 school and started. I think without ben that kid plays one year at Northwest. Hawkins is probably another. They’re probably some I forgot about.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    I can't help but feel disillusioned with college sports now with all this transfer portal business .Example: the Bearcat basketball team all leaving to follow their coach to Drake. Is there no loyalty to the school anymore? Just leave to wherever suits you now is the name of the game. To me, it's quite disheartening to see the players you cheered for just leave your school. Taking away consequences for leaving has hurt the fans imo.
    To look at it from the other side:
    Would you rather have an option to better* your current placement in life, or have others dictate you must remain exactly as is for 4-5 years for their entertainment?

*I say that knowing full well many people will disagree with the term better. But unfortunately most of us don’t have the gift of hindsight during the decision making process.

Lets also not pretend that schools are loyal to students, either. As mentioned in another post, kids commit to coaches most of the time. Schools just churn and burn students, they are a commodity. And then ask them for money after they graduate…

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    In college sports a lot of times, you are committing to the coaches more than you are committing to the university. All of recruiting is about "this is how you will fit into my system", so a coaching change can have drastic effects on a player's individual success over the remainder of his eligibility.

Leave a comment:

• ClayCoCat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied
    NW asst AD Troy Katen is the new AD at Valdosta St

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X