Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally some clarity.

UNK basketball coach’s resignation came after being told his contract would expire - ​​https://central.newschannelnebraska....t-would-expire

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post
      Finally some clarity.

UNK basketball coach’s resignation came after being told his contract would expire - ​​https://central.newschannelnebraska....t-would-expire
      This athletic director is on another planet based on what he says in this article. He knew he wasn’t gonna renew the coaches contract then he should’ve actually fired him in the spring, so basically he “fired” him in the spring but let him collect a paycheck for the next 8 months (which Lofton probably would have received anyway if fired) while setting the program back another year in development.

Although maybe I should’ve already known this athletic director is a clown since he hired the Newman coach Drew Johnson to replace his incredibly good women’s coach Carrie Eighmey when she left to go to Idaho. Eighmey built up that program & the athletic director brought in a guy who has never been successful at any previous coaching stops.
      Last edited by ichabodhater; 12-04-2023, 05:52 PM.

Comment

The clarity is nice, but he still should resigned immediately then. He quit on his team, so he sucks. The AD sucks as well he should have just fired him, he hurt his program worse by keeping him on.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
          The clarity is nice, but he still should resigned immediately then. He quit on his team, so he sucks. The AD sucks as well he should have just fired him, he hurt his program worse by keeping him on.
          Not sure why you’re so invested in the narrative of painting the guy as a quitter but it appears he resigned as soon as he knew:

Fast forward to November 17th this year. Bauer told Lofton he wasn’t renewing the contract and Lofton chose to resign instead of finishing out the month.

This is completely on the school/AD for having a coach’s contract expire in season and not making a decision (or not communicating that decision) until two weeks before the end date. I’m sure they have their reasons, but it looks pretty damn dumb from the outside.

Comment

I have zero knowledge of how coaching contracts are typically structured, but it did seem really strange to me that the contact end date would be in-season.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
              Read the article.

"Fast forward to November 17th this year. Bauer told Lofton he wasn’t renewing the contract and Lofton chose to resign instead of finishing out the month."

"Bauer elected not to fire Lofton in March, but also chose not to extend his contract for the full-length of the upcoming season... setting up the likely scenario where the Lopers would be without a permanent head coach for most of the season.

In an interview with NCN, Bauer said he felt Lofton deserved an opportunity to make changes but there wasn’t much he could have done over one offseason to earn an extension"

The AD set up a contract with an end date that is unbelievably illogical. This is on him and no one else. Lofton did what most people in most professions would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Read the article.

"Fast forward to November 17th this year. Bauer told Lofton he wasn’t renewing the contract and Lofton chose to resign instead of finishing out the month."

"Bauer elected not to fire Lofton in March, but also chose not to extend his contract for the full-length of the upcoming season... setting up the likely scenario where the Lopers would be without a permanent head coach for most of the season.

In an interview with NCN, Bauer said he felt Lofton deserved an opportunity to make changes but there wasn’t much he could have done over one offseason to earn an extension"

The AD set up a contract with an end date that is unbelievably illogical. This is on him and no one else. Lofton did what most people in most professions would do.
                Agreed. This sure looks like administrative incompetence, set up by a bad contract written three years ago, and compounded by inaction in March. The outcome was going to be equally difficult for the team members whether Lofton left immediately or two weeks later.

Comment

Well, the coaching turmoil doesn't seem to have affected the team too much. Last night, they upset previously unbeaten #22 Missouri Western on a buzzer-beating halfcourt heave by Damiri Lindo. Here's the video: https://twitter.com/GottulaTodd/stat...u3eDEPKmw&s=19

EDIT: Here's a better angle and with the play by play call: https://twitter.com/D2BuzzerBeaters/...S5kleTDow&s=19

The Lopers are now 4-3 (2-1) which leaves them just 1 overall win and 1 conference win from matching their totals from ALL of last year.

This team can score, but they need to improve defensively. If they can do that, they could be a team worth keeping an eye on. But for now, I'd consider them more of a team that can jump up and bite you if you're not careful than one that I'm confident will finish in the top half of the conference.
                  Last edited by loper legionnaire; 12-08-2023, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post
                    Well, the coaching turmoil doesn't seem to have affected the team too much. Last night, they upset previously unbeaten #22 Missouri Western on a buzzer-beating halfcourt heave by Damiri Lindo. Here's the video: https://twitter.com/GottulaTodd/stat...u3eDEPKmw&s=19

EDIT: Here's a better angle and with the play by play call: https://twitter.com/D2BuzzerBeaters/...S5kleTDow&s=19

The Lopers are now 4-3 (2-1) which leaves them just 1 overall win and 1 conference win from matching their totals from ALL of last year.

This team can score, but they need to improve defensively. If they can do that, they could be a team worth keeping an eye on. But for now, I'd consider them more of a team that can jump up and bite you if you're not careful than one that I'm confident will finish in the top half of the conference.
                    The Loper's coach's reaction on the bench says it all. Love it!

Comment

Well, after Antoine Young went 5-21 as interim head coach, including a 17-game losing streak to end the season, it would seem likely that he is not going to be retained. It's now 2 years in a row with just 5 wins... I can't believe I just typed that.

The roster turnover, predictably, is already huge. Of the 13 players who saw minutes this year, 1 exhausted his eligibility, 7 have entered the transfer portal, and 1 is no longer listed on the roster but I couldn't confirm a reason. The departures so far include 7 of the top 8 in starts and ppg.

Assuming a coaching change is made, the program will essentially be starting over from scratch next year.

Comment

I am still amazed by how big of a mess this was. What did UNK expect to happen...give the head coach coming into the season 2 weeks to prove to you he should keep his job...put the assistant in the interim position starting in December and wish him luck....were the players even bought in for the season? The entire situation has even put UNK further behind. By giving the head coach 2 weeks you said 1 of 2 things in my opinion: 1 - we know this season is going to be bad, and we don't care about the season, players, future OR #2 you thought Antoine Young was the guy and this was his full-on trial run without having to "fire" the previous coach.

For someone like Antoine Young, I hope this doesn't impact his future coaching career. For the players I feel bad because it looks like the school admin didn't really care what happened. For the fans and supporters, it was another bad year, and a completely new team with coaches and players next year is tough in this league, so likely a tough year next year - maybe not but likely.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerAlum View Post
                          I am still amazed by how big of a mess this was. What did UNK expect to happen...give the head coach coming into the season 2 weeks to prove to you he should keep his job...put the assistant in the interim position starting in December and wish him luck....were the players even bought in for the season? The entire situation has even put UNK further behind. By giving the head coach 2 weeks you said 1 of 2 things in my opinion: 1 - we know this season is going to be bad, and we don't care about the season, players, future OR #2 you thought Antoine Young was the guy and this was his full-on trial run without having to "fire" the previous coach.

For someone like Antoine Young, I hope this doesn't impact his future coaching career. For the players I feel bad because it looks like the school admin didn't really care what happened. For the fans and supporters, it was another bad year, and a completely new team with coaches and players next year is tough in this league, so likely a tough year next year - maybe not but likely.
                          Agreed. A very bizarre situation all around. Rebuilding won't be easy and will take awhile. But at this point, starting over makes the most sense.

Comment

Another Loper entered the portal today. That makes 8.

Comment

We only have Tom Connelly and Clayton Moore left.

Comment

https://unkantelope.com/29771/sports...ng-candidates/

Hope the new coach knows the transfer portal.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X