Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

What happens to the other 10%?
    I was told there would be no math quiz !

I guess it would be 27/ 73 % still 27 % is a big number

Comment

the portal has forever changed NSIC basketball

Comment

The best mid major players portal to power 4 conference schools. The best D2 players portal to mid majors. This is not an absolute. Greed and money wins out. D2 has been crippled by the portal. Sad.

Comment

Added
          Caden Kirkman, Augie
          Arhman Lewis, Augie
          Colin Schaefer, BSU

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            The best mid major players portal to power 4 conference schools. The best D2 players portal to mid majors. This is not an absolute. Greed and money wins out. D2 has been crippled by the portal. Sad.
            Upward mobility! Capitalism! Players who develop have a chance to reach a level they weren't at, or projected to be at, out of high school! That's a fantastic thing for most players.

Yes it's an adjustment for fans to have more roster turnover but it's not like D2 schools are hapless in this process. Mankato made an enormous leap compared to last year due to tremendous contributions from portal additions.

Comment

I think all of the COVID years (extra years of eligibility) has made the portal come to a head this year. Tons of grad transfers by kids who got their degree but have an extra year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Upward mobility! Capitalism! Players who develop have a chance to reach a level they weren't at, or projected to be at, out of high school! That's a fantastic thing for most players.

Yes it's an adjustment for fans to have more roster turnover but it's not like D2 schools are hapless in this process. Mankato made an enormous leap compared to last year due to tremendous contributions from portal additions.
                I think my biggest issue is that it becomes difficult to build a program with so much potential for inconsistency. Zimmer brought up this point on his podcast yesterday, but imagine the NBA/NFL if players could just declare that they were changing teams after each season. Trying to develop pieces to complement key players, put systems in place, structure lineups to work well together, etc. would become almost impossible under those circumstances. I think a number of college programs are basically facing that same situation with the portal.

In terms of rights, yes, every kid should have the right to go where he or she wants to be. In the end, that’s what matters most for these kids. I just think it makes it really difficult to build programs that are consistent year after year. But, to your point, it worked for Mankato this past season. I hope Schilling is able to make the most of the portal at Augie. We’ll definitely need to fill a few gaps this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Out of curiosity, do you think Billeter would have been able to keep the 15/16 NC team together under todays basketball climate?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I think my biggest issue is that it becomes difficult to build a program with so much potential for inconsistency. Zimmer brought up this point on his podcast yesterday, but imagine the NBA/NFL if players could just declare that they were changing teams after each season. Trying to develop pieces to complement key players, put systems in place, structure lineups to work well together, etc. would become almost impossible under those circumstances. I think a number of college programs are basically facing that same situation with the portal.

In terms of rights, yes, every kid should have the right to go where he or she wants to be. In the end, that’s what matters most for these kids. I just think it makes it really difficult to build programs that are consistent year after year. But, to your point, it worked for Mankato this past season. I hope Schilling is able to make the most of the portal at Augie. We’ll definitely need to fill a few gaps this year.
                    Let's not act like there aren't rules to the current system. Players can transfer once and be eligible to play immediately, their second transfer might result in being forced to sit for a season, they also need to transfer a certain amount of credits, and they have 30 days after a coaching change to decide if they want to change.

Adapt or die. This is the new reality of the system. If programs are trying to build the same way they did 5-10 years ago they're probably not going to succeed consistently. Margs was far ahead of the curve on embracing player movement. Yes fans won't like it because the odds of an all conference type talent lasting 4 years at his first school are lower than they have been, but if schools are truly serious about "setting players up for success in life" then that means living with better players leaving earlier than expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Out of curiosity, do you think Billeter would have been able to keep the 15/16 NC team together under todays basketball climate?
                      Probably not. It was apparent to anyone who watched the NSIC by about 2014 that Jansen, Schilling, and even Richter were D1 capable.

Comment

killing D2 sports. D2 schools aren't floating in money and it is hard to keep fans when kids are bolting. One of the best things about D2 the past 25 years is watching those kids develop of the 4-5 years and seeing those teams improve. That has all changed.

Sad stuff. Hard to keep fans excited with constantly changing rosters

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

I do agree it is a good things for those kids overlooked out of high school - if it works out.

But it doesn't always work out. Is Parker Fox better off? I suppose he would say he is -- but the Gophers sucked and the arena was mostly empty when he played. He could have been a 2 time all american at Northern -- just an example off top of my head.

But I do agree there are some good things especially some some student athletes

Comment

nope

Comment

Probably not. It was apparent to anyone who watched the NSIC by about 2014 that Jansen, Schilling, and even Richter were D1 capable.
                              correct

Comment

Mustangs would have lost Bruggeman at some point under todays rules. no doubt about it

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X