Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

College athletics has become a mercenary sport. Very tough to build long term with good players reaching for the next brass ring and reserves moving on for playing time. Just a game of musical chairs with strategy being grab the best players you can from the portal to replace those you lose year after year in hope they forge into a complimentary unit. With few exceptions, NW Missouri being a rare example up to now, the best players get the itch to find something they see as better and every year presents a rebuild project for coaches.

Then at the higher levels it’s become all about money with some players driving new Porsches while others still eat Rahman noodles. Then the court says players are employees and can unionize for pay and benefits. Someone explain to me how this is a sustainable model at any but the highest levels which has kind of become the Big 10 and SEC. I’ve said for some time said there is too much money in big time college sports and I feel that statement is beginning to bear fruit.
    Well written. I am disgusted with the Big10 and SEC grabbing all the money schools in big markets. The rest of college programs who find a great player will lose them with the dollars of NIL and transfer portal. What we have now is a huge money minor league system calling themselves universities. It sure as hell is not equitable.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      What we have now is a huge money minor league system calling themselves universities. It sure as hell is not equitable.
      College football and basketball has always been and will continue to be the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. As far as big money is concerned, that's been in progress since cable and ESPN came into our living rooms. Frankly, I've tuned out all the hype and just enjoy small college sports. They're every bit as entertaining and don't take up whole afternoons for just one game.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

College football and basketball has always been and will continue to be the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. As far as big money is concerned, that's been in progress since cable and ESPN came into our living rooms. Frankly, I've tuned out all the hype and just enjoy small college sports. They're every bit as entertaining and don't take up whole afternoons for just one game.
        Concur with this.

I still enjoy the big college sports, but my fandom has waned as my age has increased.

And to D2 sports…I think we all understand this isn’t the top level of competition, but good D2 football and basketball is extremely entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Concur with this.

I still enjoy the big college sports, but my fandom has waned as my age has increased.

And to D2 sports…I think we all understand this isn’t the top level of competition, but good D2 football and basketball is extremely entertaining.
          If some of this stuff becomes imbedded, like having to treat players as employees, a lot of small schools just might decide to scrap athletics altogether. And for schools like the Dakota state universities for example to think of themselves as real D1’s moving forward is a joke. The NCAA will become more irrelevant, and may go extinct, as the big boys decide it is they who will make the rules. Times they are a changin.

Comment

If some of this stuff becomes imbedded, like having to treat players as employees, a lot of small schools just might decide to scrap athletics altogether. And for schools like the Dakota state universities for example to think of themselves as real D1’s moving forward is a joke. The NCAA will become more irrelevant, and may go extinct, as the big boys decide it is they who will make the rules. Times they are a changin.
            The landscape is changing for sure, but I don’t yet think the sky is falling. We’ll see in time.

Comment

Josh Dilling from Northern State is in the portal now.

Comment

Made a needed update to the list on the first page.

AUGUSTANA
                Brady Helgren

BEMIDI STATE
                Barnell Davis
                Ty Miller

CONCORDIA-ST. PAUL
                DJ Akpati
                John Grigsby
                James Jacobs

UM-CROOKSTON
                Blaize Sagna (Second Team All-NSIC)

U-MARY
                Brock Heffner
                Jeremiah Jones

NORTHERN STATE
                Josh Dilling (Second Team All-NSIC)
                Isaiah Hagen
                Ian Motschenbacher

ST. CLOUD STATE
                Dominic Aguilar
                Andre Renta

WAYNE STATE
                Trey Deveaux (Second Team All-NSIC)
                David Harmon

WINONA STATE
                Drew Adams
                Tyler Borowski
                Bryant Brown
                Connor Dillon (First Team All-NSIC)
                Nate Montgomery

Comment

Concur with this.

Amen -- transfer portal has made it harder to like though

Comment

Enormous hit for WSU on portal. Connor Dillon. Suppose he wants to test the D1 waters. Also Tampa transfer Bryant Brown who never played due to injury and reliable 6’8” reserve Drew Adam’s.
                    connor Dillon - stud -- huge loss

Comment

Wonder why so many WSU players are in the portal? Team seemed to be on a upward trajectory. Connor Dillon I assume has D1 stars in his eyes. Really hate portal trend, coaches invest time and money recruiting only to see their efforts go up in smoke.

Comment

Wonder why so many WSU players are in the portal? Team seemed to be on a upward trajectory. Connor Dillon I assume has D1 stars in his eyes. Really hate portal trend, coaches invest time and money recruiting only to see their efforts go up in smoke.
                        He’s been there 4 years. Could have his degree and wants to do graduate school, while playing ball?

Coaches get D1 stars in their eyes, too. Saint Craig of Doty is the latest to prove that.

Comment

He’s been there 4 years. Could have his degree and wants to do graduate school, while playing ball?

Coaches get D1 stars in their eyes, too. Saint Craig of Doty is the latest to prove that.
                          I was simply speaking about basketball transfers in this situation.

You really took a lot out of that I didn't say!

Comment

It is individuals decisions to make these moves, I don't fault them and the world needs people to chase dreams, but the amount of people who leave a good thing chasing money or attention that then fall flat on their face should be a good life lesson as well. Sometimes its better to appreciate what you have.

If a coach leaves players can stick around or bounce, if players leave a coach can't always "find greener pastures" Again, i dont fault these young adults or coaches, but this new era has made being a college fan quite difficult.

Oldest is 10+ and he and his travel team buddies have zero interest in college athletics which stems from players leaving, essentially. While it isn't a big sample size I found it interesting.

Comment

I saw an interesting stat last night. Only 27% of D2 scholarship athletes who enter the transfer portal receive a scholarship offer from another school.

Comment

Put Dillon aside, the others aren't a surprise. Adams hardly played this past season after getting decent minutes in pervious years. Brown was a new transfer and was hurt all year. The other two guys had fallen down the depth chart. No surprise..

Dillon hurts. A lot. Sets the program back big time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X