Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nonconference schedules 2018-19

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Drury shot 38%. WT shot 32%. WT went 9/37 treys, 24%. We usually shoot about 37% from outside (and more like 45 attempts). Buffs only returned two starters. Three freshmen played key roles. If we'd had our typical shooting game, WT wins by 20.

By the way, the Drury radio crew was very good. it was easy to follow the game.
    Your "typical shooting game" wasn't against us and it was also with players who are no longer on your team. Hall is not Chavlovich. You guys shot a better % from 3 for the game than we did...and last year we were 7th in the country in team 3pt FG %. West Texas wasn't in the top 50. Drury shot 35.7% for the game, not 38%, 5/25 (20%) from 3, and most importantly, 69% from the FT line, which is the shooting I was talking about.

If you've been following basketball for more than a year you'll know that the defense probably had something to do with the shooting percentage of both teams. I could just as easily say, "if we'd have shot 40% from 3 like we did last year, Drury wins by 15". The difference in the game was the 4 minute stretch before halftime when Drury was up 11 and committed an offensive foul and had 3 turnovers on 4 consecutive possessions to let WT right back into it.
    Last edited by DUPanther; 11-03-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
      Your "typical shooting game" wasn't against us and it was also with players who are no longer on your team. Hall is not Chavlovich. You guys shot a better % from 3 for the game than we did...and last year we were 7th in the country in team 3pt FG %. West Texas wasn't in the top 50. Drury shot less than 35.7%, not 38%, and 5/25 (20%) from 3.

If you've been following basketball for more than a year you'll know that the defense probably had something to do with the shooting percentage of both teams. I could just as easily say, "if we'd have shot 40% from 3 like we did last year, Drury wins by 20". The difference in the game was the 4 minute stretch before halftime when Drury was up 11 and committed an offensive foul and had 3 turnovers on 4 consecutive possessions to let WT right back into it.
      Did the WT D have anything to do with those 3 TO's?

WT and Drury will both have good teams. WT will have to improve quickly to even get close to last year's team. WT barely beat Lindenwold today, 65-62, after being down by 7 at the half and 15 at the 7:43 mark in the first. After the game, Lindenwood's HC credited WT's D for the loss. It sure hasn't been our offense yet (Buffs averaged about 90 points a game last year).

Like you said, we don't have a Chavlovich and his 2,500 career points on the floor!

Good luck the rest of the way!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        Did the WT D have anything to do with those 3 TO's?

WT and Drury will both have good teams. WT will have to improve quickly to even get close to last year's team. WT barely beat Lindenwold today, 65-62, after being down by 7 at the half and 15 at the 7:43 mark in the first. After the game, Lindenwood's HC credited WT's D for the loss. It sure hasn't been our offense yet (Buffs averaged about 90 points a game last year).

Like you said, we don't have a Chavlovich and his 2,500 career points on the floor!

Good luck the rest of the way!!!
        One of them was a steal....the other 2 were a player dribbling off his foot and another player letting a ball go right through their hands. The offensive foul was an illegal screen. So, on those 3, no, the defense had pretty much nothing to do with those.

Comment

One of them was a steal....the other 2 were a player dribbling off his foot and another player letting a ball go right through their hands. The offensive foul was an illegal screen. So, on those 3, no, the defense had pretty much nothing to do with those.
          I see Concordia won by 3 yesterday. The Panthers shot better. Are you in California for the games? If so, how did Concordia look?

We had air/room/car and had to cancel at the last minute for business.

Comment

Drury played tough and lost two close games so far.... I think that is positive for them. Expect they will pick up win today. Lindenwood has looked good so far. They are going to be an excellent addition to GLVC. Play BU at knights hall this year, maybe BU's toughest non con home game this year, depending on how good Barry is this year.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
              Drury played tough and lost two close games so far.... I think that is positive for them. Expect they will pick up win today. Lindenwood has looked good so far. They are going to be an excellent addition to GLVC. Play BU at knights hall this year, maybe BU's toughest non con home game this year, depending on how good Barry is this year.
              Wow....played 120 minutes in regulation and wound up 4 points short to go 0-3 for the weekend. Played well at times, but too many turnovers in crucial situations, missed crucial free throws and didn't play with fire for long enough stretches.

Played 3 good teams (the first two were better than Azusa), but team toughness needs to improve. Hats off to walk-on Sam Marshall who played with more grit than anyone else on the team. Conley Garrison sat out most of the game with some kind of injury...hope that's not serious.

Comment

One horse league this year with Bellarmine and then several mediocre teams not even close to the level of the Knights.

Wow....played 120 minutes in regulation and wound up 4 points short to go 0-3 for the weekend. Played well at times, but too many turnovers in crucial situations, missed crucial free throws and didn't play with fire for long enough stretches.

Played 3 good teams (the first two were better than Azusa), but team toughness needs to improve. Hats off to walk-on Sam Marshall who played with more grit than anyone else on the team. Conley Garrison sat out most of the game with some kind of injury...hope that's not serious.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                  One horse league this year with Bellarmine and then several mediocre teams not even close to the level of the Knights.
                  It's a long season, but at this point it sure looks like it. I think maybe you're a little glass half-empty though. Bellarmine is likely a top 3-5 team - there's quite a bit of room between "mediocre" and being on their level.

I'm putting Bellarmine's chances to host the regional at about 85%, though. Looking at their schedule, I'm really not sure who they're going to lose to. Most of the good teams they play at home and beating them there is a tough proposition. Actually, since the conference tournament is in a neutral spot, I think there's a greater chance they don't win the conference than there is that they don't host the regional.

Comment

I'm putting Bellarmine's chances to host the regional at about 85%, though. Looking at their schedule, I'm really not sure who they're going to lose to. Most of the good teams they play at home and beating them there is a tough proposition. Actually, since the conference tournament is in a neutral spot, I think there's a greater chance they don't win the conference than there is that they don't host the regional.
                    I agree with your analysis of BU's schedule, their tougher games appear to be at home. There are still going to be some tough conference road games at Indy, Lewis, and maybe USI. Of course, Bellarmine is not going to have to win every one of them to end up with the #1 seed. Four losses or less will probably get the #1 seed.

Believe it or not, the upcoming trip to Saginaw may be a prime spot for BU to lose a game.

Comment

Big non-con game tonight: Ferris v. Findlay. Ferris beat them early last year in the final moments. Ferris may not have won the championship if that game had gone the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                        Big non-con game tonight: Ferris v. Findlay. Ferris beat them early last year in the final moments. Ferris may not have won the championship if that game had gone the other way.
                        A couple of thoughts...

#1, What defending national champion starts their season with 9 straight games away from home?

- neutral court tourney against Fairmont St then NW Missouri
                        - @ Davis & Elkins
                        - @ Alderson Broaddus
                        - @ Hillsdale
                        - @ Findlay (tonight)
                        - @ Lewis
                        - @ Wayne St.
                        - @ Ashland

Then they finally have their first home game on 12/6 vs. Northwood.

#2, Neither Findlay or Ferris seem quite as dominant so far this year as they did late last year. Findlay trounced Truman St. but their other two wins weren't by large margins, and none of the teams they've played so far have started off the season very well. Ferris, on the other hand, lost by 14 against NW Missouri (granted, they are one of the top 2-3 teams in the nation) and other than a 19 point win at D&E have had very tight margins in their games. Also, they got beat by more than 80 points against Duke...although Duke is ridiculous this year so I'm not sure any other D2 team would have done much better.

So that being said, the game tonight really looks like a toss-up. I would have to give Findlay a slight edge due to home court advantage.

My prediction is Findlay wins by 4

Comment

Findlay by 9

Except for Bellarmine Midwest is down a bit. Means lots more games will be interesting. Coaching will be very important.

This is an important weekend for W. Defense has to re ready to stop the threes from raining down.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                            #2, Neither Findlay or Ferris seem quite as dominant so far this year as they did late last year. Findlay trounced Truman St. but their other two wins weren't by large margins, and none of the teams they've played so far have started off the season very well. Ferris, on the other hand, lost by 14 against NW Missouri (granted, they are one of the top 2-3 teams in the nation) and other than a 19 point win at D&E have had very tight margins in their games.
                            I know what NW's ranking is but I honestly don't believe they are one of the top 2-3 in the country. If so, then D2 is way down because while NW has a very good team, it is below the level they have been for the last 3-4 years and they have some big holes in the lineup. In all reality, they are most likely in the 20-25 range.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                              A couple of thoughts...

#1, What defending national champion starts their season with 9 straight games away from home?

- neutral court tourney against Fairmont St then NW Missouri
                              - @ Davis & Elkins
                              - @ Alderson Broaddus
                              - @ Hillsdale
                              - @ Findlay (tonight)
                              - @ Lewis
                              - @ Wayne St.
                              - @ Ashland

Then they finally have their first home game on 12/6 vs. Northwood.

#2, Neither Findlay or Ferris seem quite as dominant so far this year as they did late last year. Findlay trounced Truman St. but their other two wins weren't by large margins, and none of the teams they've played so far have started off the season very well. Ferris, on the other hand, lost by 14 against NW Missouri (granted, they are one of the top 2-3 teams in the nation) and other than a 19 point win at D&E have had very tight margins in their games. Also, they got beat by more than 80 points against Duke...although Duke is ridiculous this year so I'm not sure any other D2 team would have done much better.

So that being said, the game tonight really looks like a toss-up. I would have to give Findlay a slight edge due to home court advantage.

My prediction is Findlay wins by 4
                              That is a brutal schedule and I would imagine Ferris will be in the top 5 of SOS. Could give them as much as a two loss cushion over the top contenders for #1 seed, mainly BU and UF(although tonight's game could render the cushion moot as far as UF is concerned.) BU's schedule is not a cakewalk, but they have the advantage of most of their tough opponents are at home.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                                I know what NW's ranking is but I honestly don't believe they are one of the top 2-3 in the country. If so, then D2 is way down because while NW has a very good team, it is below the level they have been for the last 3-4 years and they have some big holes in the lineup. In all reality, they are most likely in the 20-25 range.
                                Fair enough; I haven't seen them play. That said, at 6-0 and aside from the season opener against Northern St. which was a 2 point win, they've not won a game by less than 14, so they're obviously doing something right.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X