Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

I just watch the refs blow one for AB. Call after call that were really bad.

Comment

Blueblood

It looks like Cedarville finally put out the release on their new volleyball signees. Probably waiting until the post-season run was finished. http://yellowjackets.cedarville.edu/...ng-period.aspx

It looks like a very strong class. As I said before, Willow was a HUGE get for them. The setters both look really strong as well, and it sounds like Coach Walters is really excited for that libero from his comments. He has always been a super strong recruiter. So, I wouldn't expect this to be any different. He needs a good class to keep it going with the four seniors that he is losing making up a big part of his team. He will be returning Olson though which is a major deal. I think Wilkerson is about ready to start playing really well too. She was looking really good the last few weeks of the season.

Comment

Looks like we may have a Wheeling Jesuit announcement coming soon?

Honestly, it makes too much sense not to do this.

http://static.gmac.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Approved%20Schedules/2017-18/2018%20and%202019%20Men's%20Lacrosse%20Schedule%20-%20Final.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

http://static.gmac.sidearmsports.com...0-%20Final.pdf
          Everything that I have heard is that the MEC wants Wheeling out because of football! So, I am expecting some kind of announcement this coming summer to that end. I think whether or not they end up in the G-MAC though is still up for debate.

Comment

http://static.gmac.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Approved%20Schedules/2017-18/2018%20and%202019%20Men's%20Lacrosse%20Schedule%20-%20Final.pdf
            I don't read too much into that, since Wheeling, along with PSAC members Mercyhurst and Seton Hill, are affiliate members in men's lacrosse since neither the MEC nor the PSAC sponsor the sport.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
              I don't read too much into that, since Wheeling, along with PSAC members Mercyhurst and Seton Hill, are affiliate members in men's lacrosse since neither the MEC nor the PSAC sponsor the sport.
              I don't think I'm reading too much into it either. Mercyhurst and Seton Hill have already been announced as G-MAC affiliate members. WJU has not. I'm just saying that it looks like a WJU announcement could be forthcoming.

That's all I'm reading into this.

Now, if you want wild and crazy speculation: I think WJU and NDC would be nice adds for Swimming and Diving (only 4 G-MAC schools have Men's S/D) and Wrestling* (again only 4 schools have this). The GLIAC-to-G-MAC schools are used to having both of these as conference sports. Adding a couple affiliates so that the conference can sponsor (or more fully sponsor**) these sports seems like it could be advantageous for all parties. Those two schools have the sports, are in the conference footprint, and seem to fit the profile of G-MAC institutions.

* Alternatively, Tiffin and Ashland would also be possibilities for Wrestling affiliate members.
              ** I'm not sure that there is technically a minimum number of schools required to sponsor these sports. The GLIAC only has 4 wrestling schools, but lists it as a sponsored sport. However, they do not hold a conference meet like the MIAA or PSAC do.
              Last edited by BlueBlood; 12-14-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I don't think I'm reading too much into it either. Mercyhurst and Seton Hill have already been announced as G-MAC affiliate members. WJU has not. I'm just saying that it looks like a WJU announcement could be forthcoming.

That's all I'm reading into this.

Now, if you want wild and crazy speculation: I think WJU and NDC would be nice adds for Swimming and Diving (only 4 G-MAC schools have Men's S/D) and Wrestling* (again only 4 schools have this). The GLIAC-to-G-MAC schools are used to having both of these as conference sports. Adding a couple affiliates so that the conference can sponsor (or more fully sponsor**) these sports seems like it could be advantageous for all parties. Those two schools have the sports, are in the conference footprint, and seem to fit the profile of G-MAC institutions.

* Alternatively, Tiffin and Ashland would also be possibilities for Wrestling affiliate members.
                ** I'm not sure that there is technically a minimum number of schools required to sponsor these sports. The GLIAC only has 4 wrestling schools, but lists it as a sponsored sport. However, they do not hold a conference meet like the MIAA or PSAC do.
                Wheeling Jesuit is currently an affiliate for the Appalachian Swimming Conference, men's lacrosse is affiliated with ECAC, and wrestling is still independent. That said, I know Jesuit routinely competes against the majority of G-MAC schools in swimming and lax, although I'm not sure about wrestling. If Jesuit became a G-MAC affiliate for any of those sports, it wouldn't surprise for me.

As an alum, I'd love to see Jesuit as an affiliate for all three of those sports but this is all hypothetical. Though I am surprised Jesuit didn't become an affiliate at the same time Mercyhurst and Seton Hill jumped on board.

And on the topic of conference championships, I think the required minimum is six teams but I might be wrong on that.

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalAlum View Post

And on the topic of conference championships, I think the required minimum is six teams but I might be wrong on that.
                  That's the number I had in my head too. However, part of me thinks that might only be for sports where an AQ is on the line. I'm not sure how Wrestling/Swimming works. I was surprised that the GLIAC lists Wrestling as a sponsored sport with only 4 teams - the GLIAC situation is what got me thinking that 6 might not necessarily be needed.

Comment

Blue, we just hired a Cedarville grad from work. She is a recent grad and is attending George Mason for her grad work.

When she was introduced, they said she went to a "small school in Ohio". I asked where and she replied: "you probably have never heard of it....Cedarville". I said, oh yes, good Christian school outside of Dayton. She is good. She said she is real nervous and had to take sleeping pills because of being nervous about new job. She will do good. Just FYI. First Cedarville grad that I know of that I met in person.

Comment

JDon - Good to hear. Hope it works out for her and for your company. I've often thought that the G-MAC someday might be wise to include an alumni/career coop of sorts. None of the schools are really big enough to have a sizeable network by themselves. However, combined they would. It's not the craziest idea. I know that the Big Ten (and several other conferences) have an academic/research consortium.

Comment

Looks like the G-MAC office moved to downtown Indy. I saw a tweet from the GLVC which referenced the G-MAC being their "downtown neighbors". I looked at the website, and the address did indeed change. Looks like the new office is nicely positioned between the Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Comment

Looks like the G-MAC office moved to downtown Indy. I saw a tweet from the GLVC which referenced the G-MAC being their "downtown neighbors". I looked at the website, and the address did indeed change. Looks like the new office is nicely positioned between the Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil Stadium.
                          Movin' on up!

Comment

Originally posted by ABjo View Post
                            Movin' on up!
                            Yep, and the GLVC wasn't kidding about neighbors. The two conferences' offices are only one block from each other (which puts both approx one mile away from NCAA headquarters). It will be interesting to see if there is increased collaboration. They had a Christmas lunch/party together - so it seems pretty chummy.
                            Last edited by BlueBlood; 12-20-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Buckeye -

G-MAC v-ball news from all the way down here in Tampa:
                              Seffner Christian's Emma Noskey (2018, 5'11", OPP/RS) verbally commits to Hillsdale College.

My family might know just a little bit about this HS :)
                              From all I've heard, great kid. Wish it was CU, but nice to see her in conference.
                              Last edited by BlueBlood; 12-30-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Buckeye -

G-MAC v-ball news from all the way down here in Tampa:
                                Seffner Christian's Emma Noskey (2018, 5'11", OPP/RS) verbally commits to Hillsdale College.

My family might know just a little bit about this HS :)
                                From all I've heard, great kid. Wish it was CU, but nice to see her in conference.
                                Thanks for the update! Tough to recruit kids out of Florida to come up to Michigan so I am sure that is a great get for Hillsdale! Really looking forward to the 2017 conference race with all of the new teams joining in. Going to make for some great battles on the volleyball side of things!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X