X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
    They started Marching Band the same year they started Football (2009). Compared to some HSs, 50 looks very small. Did not realize that it was a good size D2 band.
    Fain, I really am not sure how many D2s have traditional marching bands. The Uindy one is intermittent and doesn't really march, just plays in the stands.

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied
    They started Marching Band the same year they started Football (2009). Compared to some HSs, 50 looks very small. Did not realize that it was a good size D2 band.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    An extremely high percentage of NDCs full-time, non-commuter students play sports.

Last I checked, NDC had over 500 student athletes, 50+ in the marching band (I know that's a small band, there is certainly room for growth), and probably about 50 cheerleaders (when you count football and basketball plus dance team). That means that probably 650 or more students are directly or indirectly related to NDC sports offerings.
    For a D2, that seems like a big band. Uindy always had to con a 10 or 20 kinds from the music department with some free food in the hospitality area in order to have a band at football or basketball games. I would be surprised you had a marching band at all.

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied
    An extremely high percentage of NDCs full-time, non-commuter students play sports.

Last I checked, NDC had over 500 student athletes, 50+ in the marching band (I know that's a small band, there is certainly room for growth), and probably about 50 cheerleaders (when you count football and basketball plus dance team). That means that probably 650 or more students are directly or indirectly related to NDC sports offerings.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Exactly right, schools like Lake Erie would not have the enrollment to survive on their own most likely without sports bringing in more students who paying partial or full tuition.
    I think there is an extremely long list of small colleges that would close but-for sports. I've said before on here - if HS kids' desire to play college sports ever fades, a whole lot of small colleges are in big big trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

The G-MAC schools (and most privates for that matter) want to offer as many sports as possible - wrestling, both men's and women's lacrosse, swimming/diving, equestrian, bowling, etc. Sports is a huge enrollment driver. A healthy athletic department can have 500 to 800 student athletes, or more.
    Exactly right, schools like Lake Erie would not have the enrollment to survive on their own most likely without sports bringing in more students who paying partial or full tuition.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Oh, I agree that KSU to the MEAC seems crazy given enrollment and finances. But the article said they are at least exploring it.

As to Central State - I don't really know how burnt the bridge is. It may have just been a mutual parting of the ways based on different goals. The G-MAC had basic core sports that it required and CSU did not want to play those sports. I don't know if the G-MAC was angry about it, or just like...."its obvious to both of us this isn't a fit".

CSU's current sports model is completely opposite the G-MAC schools' model.

CSU intentionally has very limited sports offerings. They concentrate their resources into allowing their football and basketball teams to travel into the deep south to play other HBCUs. All other sports at CSU are the "meet" type where you just show up for the conference championship. Volleyball is kind of a hybrid - the SIAC has 3 big meets a year that allow both CSU and KSU to get all their conference games in.

The G-MAC schools (and most privates for that matter) want to offer as many sports as possible - wrestling, both men's and women's lacrosse, swimming/diving, equestrian, bowling, etc. Sports is a huge enrollment driver. A healthy athletic department can have 500 to 800 student athletes, or more.

Leave a comment:

• kdubnation
    replied
    I cannot imagine Ky State jumping to D1, that would be ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• WKYDave
    replied
    Given KSU's financial situation - and the state's - I would be shocked if they did.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    That certainly adds an interesting move. I doubt very strongly Central State would be invited back to the GMAC (the exit is very dramatic and messy, with the sheer number of NCAA and conference rules simply ignored). They are also a former GLVC member, maybe the MEC offers them to pair with NDC? Honestly, I think they would end up staying just because the HBCU thing.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    They've got another rant going on over on the GLIAC board - about how the now-G-MAC schools were simply afraid to compete in the GLIAC and how they fled to an inferior conference.

I've mentioned before that many of the schools that left the GLIAC to join the G-MAC were actually much more competitive than most folks are willing to admit. Below are the GLIAC All-Sports standings the year before the big exodus. The now-G-MAC schools actually held 4 of the top 6 spots in the GLIAC All-Sports rankings. And mores specifically, they held 4 of the 5 spots behind GV.

Put another way - the GLIAC lost 4 of the 5 schools that lined up behind GV - including the only school that consistently nipped at GV's heels. The void between GV and the rest of the GLIAC just widened significantly - and while many don't seem willing to admit that, I think its starting to sink in.

Conversely, it feels like the G-MAC All-Sports standings should be much more competitive among the top 5 or so schools..

I am extremely convinced that good (and competitive) times are ahead for the G-MAC.

2016-17 Presidents' Trophy (All-Sports)
    1. Grand Valley State ..218.5
    2. Ashland...................153.0
    3. Saginaw Valley .......148.0
    4. Findlay .................... 144.5
    5. Tiffin ....................... 143.5
    6. Hillsdale..................131.0
    7. Wayne State ............ 125.5
    8. Ferris State .............. 124.0
    9. Northwood ..............105.0
    10. Walsh ........................ 96.0
    11. Northern Michigan....93.0
    12. Michigan Tech ..........86.0
    13. Ohio Dominican .......74.5
    14. Lake Erie...................67.0
    15. Lake Superior State... 40.5

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied

And, to your earlier point, a former WVIAC member.
    Exactly, it was a natural fit then and a natural fit now (or in a year or two at least).

Leave a comment:

• Stea1th
    replied
    Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I would say Bluefield State makes to the most sense for them once they get their program off the ground.
    And, to your earlier point, a former WVIAC member.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I agree to a degree. MEC is not going to invite teams from way outside their foot print. But that said, their foot print is a 5 to 6 state area. I could see the MEC moving into KY but only with a "pod" of teams. Dont see them bring in an individual team. But I get the feeling that the MEC is happy being the size it is. One niggling issue is UNCP. I think they would like a full member who plays football. There are several options but as they say, it takes 2 to tango. Not saying any plans are in the works but some candidates could be Gannon, Seton Hill, UPike, and Bluefield State.
    I would say Bluefield State makes to the most sense for them once they get their program off the ground. I also agree on the KY idea. It is not impossible, but it would take probably 4 at least for it to make sense for the rest of the MEC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X