• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
    Random thought, and it may be too far left field... but thinking about the Indiana footprint and the fact that you have an all-women's college with Ursuline...what about adding Wabash College to balance that out?

I say that not knowing a darn thing about their sports other than they are NCAA III.
    I've thought the same thing before - except I was thinking of the NAIA women's college in KY. Agreed that it should be considered.

Leave a comment:

• schnautza
    replied

Random thought, and it may be too far left field... but thinking about the Indiana footprint and the fact that you have an all-women's college with Ursuline...what about adding Wabash College to balance that out?

I say that not knowing a darn thing about their sports other than they are NCAA III.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

In my mind, its fine-tuning at this point. You have about 4 spots in order to:

1) fill in geographical gaps / create travel partners, or
    2) balance the conference east/west or north/south, or
    3) add schools that have certain desired sports, or
    4) ...etc.

.... and every spot you fill impacts/limits what you can do with the remaining spots.

Leave a comment:

• UFSwimDad
    replied

I am all for more Indiana schools! Marian is going to become a major school as they now have a medical school there. They are just doing it right! I read on here about UINDY but I would not think they would jump ship!

I read where Wheeling Jesuit isn't a big consideration because of football but who knows.

I would love Lindsay Wilson and maybe Campbellsville because as of right now, swimming wise, I think Findlay will dominate.

So basically in my mind my fantasy picks for the league would be Tiffin and Ashland, (ha!) Lindsay Wilson and Cumberland, and ?????

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

BTW - I'd be absolutely fine with Tiffin. Another school up in that Hillsdale/Findlay corner would be great. After that, I'd rather the conference focus on IN schools (mostly to help KWC out - but would also benefit Hillsdale, Findlay, CU) and maybe one more WV school (giving AB and D&E one more close conference-mate).

We are at 12 mens/13 womens schools right now. If 16/17 is the natural stopping spot, I only see 4 openings.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
    NAIA schools- from what was explained to me, the GLIAC had a LOT to do with those schools not gaining D2 status.
    Yeah, I heard the same from varying sources.

I remember well the mood of us G-MACers in August 2012. G-town (sponsored by G-MAC) had been rejected by the NCAA, UVa-Wise had been approved (sponsored by G-MAC), but literally as soon as they got their approval, they were announced as founding members of the MEC. Urbana left the G-MAC for the MEC. NDC had previously left the group that would become the G-MAC (for unannounced/unknown reasons) and now reappeared as a founding member of the MEC.

That left the G-MAC with: KWC, TNU, Cedarville, Ursuline (no men's sports teams), and Central St. (did not field teams in all sports). Those were some dark days on the message board. We thought we were on our death bed.*

In retrospect, I'm sure the GLIAC would like a redo. If the G-MAC had been able to add the Mid-South Conference NAIA schools, the G-MAC might have become a KY/TN-heavy conference and the GLIAC-South schools may never have joined. Sometimes you have to watch what you wish for. Karma?

* that was deathbed #1. Deathbed #2 was 2 years later (July 2014) when G-town got rejected again and Cumberland got rejected.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alumnifan
    replied

Lindsey Wilson is a sister institution with KWC. Lindsey Wilson was a two year school until the late 80's. Many LWC Board of Trustees members, if not all, know the KWC Board of Trustees members. Lindsey Wilson began as a boarding prep school, for the most part and was a feeder program for Vanderbilt. As a junior college it fed a lot of students to KWC.

If there is any program in the Mid South Conference that could get into the NCAA, it would be LWC. It might happen one day, but I don't see it happening soon. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alumnifan
    replied

Just for the record it is Kentucky Wesleyan College, not University - has been since 1858.

Leave a comment:

• UFSwimDad
    replied

Thanks for the warm welcome and discussion. I really believe that this conference i has the potentional to be very strong! I am most excited about the UF- KWU basketball matchup. I grew up minutes from St. Joe in Indiana and remember going to games to watch former HS alumni and those KWU teams were fantastic!

Football- I think Ohio Dominion may be the powerhouse team next season in he new league. UF has been hanging around the .500 mark the past couple of years so maybe this move gets them to the 7 win area?

Tiffin and Ashland- at the GLIAC conference swim meet this past week, I heard a lot of Tiffin moving for sure talk. How true I do not know. As for Ashland, I would agree that especially football wise, staying in the GLIAC makes total sense. But I do know that they are at least considering it mainly to reduce travel. Again, not sure how true that is.

NAIA schools- from what was explained to me, the GLIAC had a LOT to do with those schools not gaining D2 status. I can tell you that the attitude toward FIndlay bad. Nothing outwardly said to us, just the general feeling that we're being punished for leaving the conference. Felt that way at the dual meets in season as well. But since GLIAC as added two naia schools for next year would seem to pave the way for others to join the GMAC?!?

Swimming- never considered looking for associate members. Would def need that for men's.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Regarding Tiffin, this is what my buddy received earlier this month:

Hello, XXXXXXX!
    Tiffin University is exploring the pros and cons of two different conference affiliations: Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) and the newly formed (2011) Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC). A possible change is under review at TU to reduce, among other factors, travel time and expenses and student-athlete time away from campus.
    As a former student athlete, you know Tiffin University became an NCAA Division II institution in 2008, leaving the NAIA. When Tiffin University joined the GLIAC there were 11 members: Ashland University (private), Ferris State University (public), University of Findlay (private), Grand Valley State University (public), Hillsdale College (private), Lake Superior State University (public), Michigan Technological University (public), Northern Michigan University (public), Northwood University (private), Saginaw Valley State University (public) and Wayne State University (public). Over the next 4 years the GLIAC added: Ohio Dominican University (private), Lake Erie College (private), Walsh University (private) and Malone University (private).
    In 2017-2018, the GLIAC member schools will be: Ashland University (private), Davenport University (private), Ferris State University (public), Grand Valley State University (public), Lake Superior State University (public), Michigan Technological University (public), Northern Michigan University (public), Northwood University (private), Purdue University Northwest (public), Saginaw Valley State University (public) and Wayne State University (public).
    The GMAC member schools are: Alderson-Broaddus University, Cedarville University, Davis & Elkins University, Kentucky Wesleyan University, Malone University, Ohio Valley University, Trevecca Nazarene University and Ursuline University (all private institutions).
    We are reaching out to our alumni to gain your insight, opinions and knowledge.
    Please click the green button below to complete this BRIEF survey.

GO DRAGONS!
    Vickie Wilkins, Director of Alumni Relations

Complete Survey

Privacy Policy
    | Unsubscribe

Tiffin University, Advancement Office
    155 Miami St., Tiffin, OH 44883

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Regarding swimming - The G-MAC could probably pick up a few associate members pretty easily if it wants to sponsor swimming (which I have to assume it does). NDC and Urbana have both M & W swimming. They swim in something called the Appalachian Swimming Conference. They are the northernmost members of the conference (with other members being as far south as GA) and would likely jump at the opportunity to swim in a Midwest-based conference. Also - the ASC isn't even a D2 conference - some of the members are NAIA and D3. So, the G-MAC would likely be extremely appealing.

Also, Wheeling Jesuit and WV Wesleyan swim in the same ASC.

I know many only like offering associate memberships when it is absolutely necessary. However, all four of those schools would appear to align pretty well with the G-MAC footprint / like-mindedness.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
    All 5 schools you mention have been discussed on here through the years. Here are a few items:

Tiffin - Definitely actively considering. In fact the school recently sent out a questionnaire regarding possible G-MAC move to former athletes.

Ashland - When the other schools switched, their AD said they would monitor the situation and if the G-MAC became "viable", they would need to consider a move. I've heard nothing since.

IWU - We've speculated about them for years. When they had their press conference to announce the addition of football, their AD took a direct question from the press regarding possibly going D2. The AD emphatically denied any interest. Things could have changed since. If they did, I guess the GLVC and GLIAC might also have interest.

Cumberland - Applied for D2 already (sponsored by the G-MAC) and were denied. I've heard nothing about them since.

Lindsey Wilson - I know the least about them. However, I always thought they would be a great addition - especially if paired with Campbellsville. Some of the KY guys on here have stated that LW likes being a "big dog" in the NAIA and feel that they benefit from some of the NAIA's looser recruiting/administration stipulations.

Oh - and welcome to the G-MAC!
    Unless the attitudes towards G-MAC vs. GLIAC have changed over the past year, I don't see Ashland leaving the GLIAC. They've been among the better programs in the GLIAC over the past few seasons and their administration appears committed to remaining in the GLIAC in the long run.

Tiffin might be reconsidering their status in the GLIAC, however. They've been near the top of the GLIAC all-sports standings along with Grand Valley, Ashland and Findlay in recent years, but many of their former NAIA rivals are now part of the G-MAC. Again, much like Ashland, there would have to be a seismic change in attitudes if Tiffin were to consider the G-MAC.

I can't really comment about Indiana Wesleyan or Lindsey Wilson, but I think that Cumberland's previous rejection by the NCAA to move to D2 might have scared off a lot of the Kentucky/Tennessee NAIA schools from making the move.

Leave a comment:

• kwcpantherfan
    replied

Likewise - welcome to the G-MAC and the message board. I fully expect KWC and Findlay to be the top 2 MBB programs in the conference for the next couple of years at least, and probably beyond if our two programs' histories are anything to go by. I, for one, am looking forward to building that rivalry with you guys as I expect that is going to be one of the games with the biggest circle around it on the calendar for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Hey all. New to the board. Have a daughter that swims for Findlay and the topic of conference expansion has been a hot topic for us. For the athletic department as a whole, the move from GLIAC to the GMAC is a no brainer. There are schools in Michigan that have two to seven times as many students as Findlay! At one time our football team was an NAIA powerhouse but has found it a tough go in the GLIAC which is arguably the best D2 conference in the nation. Basketball wise we have been good although the last couple of years have been down compared to where they want to be. I am sure you all are well versed in this already so I will just throw out some of the comments and hearsay that I have run across this past week. From what I have been told by those in the know is that the GMAC is def looking to expand south as to keep KWU and TNU happy! Their AD alluded to that when it was announced last summer! I am heading that Tiffin is almost certain to jump aboard and if Ashlands finances are ok, I believe they had their rating knocked down when we were there visiting in the summer of 2016, they may come aboard as well. Being selfish here but I am really wanting more schools with swimming! Right now we have six for women and 4 for men. My understanding is the league would not sponsor anything under six teams but I may be wrong. We would ideally like at least 8! Like most expansion, it comes down football as they would like to have at least 10 football schools. Also heard that Indiana Wesleyan, Cumberland and Lindsey Wilson may be getting a look. Ready for some good discussion.

Dave
    All 5 schools you mention have been discussed on here through the years. Here are a few items:

Tiffin - Definitely actively considering. In fact the school recently sent out a questionnaire regarding possible G-MAC move to former athletes.

Ashland - When the other schools switched, their AD said they would monitor the situation and if the G-MAC became "viable", they would need to consider a move. I've heard nothing since.

IWU - We've speculated about them for years. When they had their press conference to announce the addition of football, their AD took a direct question from the press regarding possibly going D2. The AD emphatically denied any interest. Things could have changed since. If they did, I guess the GLVC and GLIAC might also have interest.

Cumberland - Applied for D2 already (sponsored by the G-MAC) and were denied. I've heard nothing about them since.

Lindsey Wilson - I know the least about them. However, I always thought they would be a great addition - especially if paired with Campbellsville. Some of the KY guys on here have stated that LW likes being a "big dog" in the NAIA and feel that they benefit from some of the NAIA's looser recruiting/administration stipulations.

Oh - and welcome to the G-MAC!

Leave a comment:

• ABjo
    replied

Wesleyan doesn't start football until the 2018 season I believe, not that that is a problem. How are the better basketball and football teams in GMAC?
    Welcome to the board! My alma mater, AB, has swimming but I, honestly, don't follow it very closely. We're definitely no power, by any stretch.

I would take all three schools (Indiana Wesleyan, Cumberland and Lindsey Wilson) in a heartbeat.

Current G-MAC basketball:
    KWC is real good. Perennial power with 8 national championships
    AB is good. Won the G-MAC our first two years in the league. Went to several NCAA tournaments while in the WVIAC
    rest are decent to poor.

Current G-MAC football:
    Well, there are only three of us. AB, KWC and Malone
    AB won the first ever league championship last year. We had a record season going 9-2. Not terrible for a program that's only in it's 4 year of existence. We won't be contending for the title the next year or two, in my opinion, but we are up and coming.
    KWC has not been that great in the past, but they've shown some promise the last couple years. They gave AB a great battle for the Championship this past season. The loose a HUGE offensive weapon in Keenan Cole, so they'll need to figure out things without him.
    Malone is not that good, as I'm sure you're aware. They lost both league games last year to AB and KWC. Maybe with the renovation at hall of fame stadium, they can attract some more talent in the future.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X