• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb Street
    replied
    Re: There's the B1G, and then there is everyone else

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    The Ducks did have a good run, but have kind of fallen back into mediocrity the last 2 season / 4-8 and 7-6.
    Plus, even though all of that money has been pumped into the program over the years, they still haven't won a single national football championship.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 07-15-2018, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle74
    replied

The Ducks did have a good run, but have kind of fallen back into mediocrity the last 2 season / 4-8 and 7-6.
    Plus, even though all of that money has been pumped into the program over the years, they still haven't won a single national football championship.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

If it was all based on $$$ the Oregon Ducks would be the best football program in the nation.
    Yes, I believe that is in fact how they became one of the best football programs in the nation. $$$ ala Boone Pickens is also how a middling Oklahoma State became a perennial top 15 program.

Money can do a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle74
    replied

If it was all based on $$$ the Oregon Ducks would be the best football program in the nation.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Maybe Maryland will be more successful in the B1G.

Rutgers isn't really doing much better.
    Actually both are doihg better than they have ever have been. $$$

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied

None of the existing ACC schools have any desire of leaving their conference, and didn't really care that much about Maryland leaving. Maryland doesn't really have that big of a following. The Terps only average around 35 thousand in attendance 1/3rd empty seats, and don't really travel that well. They had a bump in attendance in 2014 but has fallen back. Overall, Maryland's football program hasn't been very impressive, and had only won one ACC football title in the past 30 years. Pitt and Louisville were nice additions to the ACC.

Rutgers isn't really doing much better: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...al_upsets.html
    Maryland and Rutgers are crying all the way to the bank.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle74
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    The B1G won't add anyone further from the ACC. There's no one from the ACC that brings compelling added value to the conference in terms of media. If they wanted good football they would have gone after Florida State or Clemson. If they wanted good basketball, they would have poached NC or Duke. That's not what the B1G wanted. They wanted big media markets.

They won't add any SEC schools. But they are holding two spots for OU and Texas you can count on it.
    None of the existing ACC schools have any desire of leaving their conference, and didn't really care that much about Maryland leaving. Maryland doesn't really have that big of a following. The Terps only average around 35 thousand in attendance 1/3rd empty seats, and don't really travel that well. They had a bump in attendance in 2014 but has fallen back. Overall, Maryland's football program hasn't been very impressive, and had only won one ACC football title in the past 30 years. Pitt and Louisville were nice additions to the ACC.

Rutgers isn't really doing much better: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...al_upsets.html
    Last edited by Eagle74; 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
    And sometimes the move you make depends on circumstances at the time. Mizzou wound up in the SEC but really preferred the BIG. The SEC preferred OU but wound up with Mizzou because the SEC really needed a second school to come on board with TAMU and OU was would only come with OSU whereas Mizzou had no such demand.
    Without question, Missouri has wanted to be in the B1G for a long, long time. The governor of Missouri kind of made a mess of things when he tipped that Missouri was making overtures to the B1G about joining back in 08 or 09. I kind of wonder if in fact things were in the works.

If I recall correctly, the Big 12 went south when either the Nebraska chancellor demanded at a Big 12 presidents meeting along about 2009, that UT cede their media rights to the conference, as the other schools had done. The UT president, I don't remember his name, said "We are not prepared to do that." Texas then publicly accused Nebraska of secretly "conference shopping" ("we didn't start this but by gosh we will finish it" https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ew-is-verified) , when it was later discovered that it was actually UT that had been making overtures to the Big 10 months prior. (Remember the "We have a Texas Tech problem" email? https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-tech-problem/ ) Talk about making a mess of your credibility.

That day was game over. Four flagship schools announced departure within twelve months.

In terms of cash, it was Nebraska that won the lottery, while A&M and Missouri also improved themselves significantly. CU actually did not improve themselves financially, but the stability of the PAC12 long term is solid. That was also a good move.

The Big 12 is currently in fine financial shape from a media payout standpoint, but that is only because of OU and Texas and the panache that they deliver.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 07-14-2018, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvaara
    replied

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Related to this. nebraska is lucky Texas was such a jerk. Made nebraska make the move which has been great. And now with Frost, they'll be a major player as soon as 2019.

Already better in hoops,

Volleyball remains great. Such a win - thank you Texas!
    agree that frost will have Nebraska legit in no time..durkin is already well on his way to making Maryland dramatically bettet....the big 10 just keeps getting stronger

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    I remember when I heard rumors about Mizzou wanting to get into the BIG. I thought that would make a good choice to bring the conference to twelve members and two divisions. Suddenly out of nowhere Nebraska pops up and says "How would you like to take me to Prom?" The BIG couldn't believe what they were hearing and of course said why not? Adding the Huskers has been a great move for the BIG and a good move for Nebraska. Frost is going to get things turned around- Pederson was the one who screwed things up there, not the move to the BIG.

I was working basketball camp at Maryland when their were rumors going around about a move for the Terps. Students and coaches around there were excited about it. I was kind of surprised- after all of those decades in the ACC- the geographical proximity- I thought that there would be more negativity. Nope- this was a great opportunity and they took it, along with the money.

I'm not sure what the next move will be. Sometimes the best move that you make is the one that you didn't.

And sometimes the move you make depends on circumstances at the time. Mizzou wound up in the SEC but really preferred the BIG. The SEC preferred OU but wound up with Mizzou because the SEC really needed a second school to come on board with TAMU and OU was would only come with OSU whereas Mizzou had no such demand.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

I remember when I heard rumors about Mizzou wanting to get into the BIG. I thought that would make a good choice to bring the conference to twelve members and two divisions. Suddenly out of nowhere Nebraska pops up and says "How would you like to take me to Prom?" The BIG couldn't believe what they were hearing and of course said why not? Adding the Huskers has been a great move for the BIG and a good move for Nebraska. Frost is going to get things turned around- Pederson was the one who screwed things up there, not the move to the BIG.

I was working basketball camp at Maryland when their were rumors going around about a move for the Terps. Students and coaches around there were excited about it. I was kind of surprised- after all of those decades in the ACC- the geographical proximity- I thought that there would be more negativity. Nope- this was a great opportunity and they took it, along with the money.

I'm not sure what the next move will be. Sometimes the best move that you make is the one that you didn't.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

Related to this. nebraska is lucky Texas was such a jerk. Made nebraska make the move which has been great. And now with Frost, they'll be a major player as soon as 2019.

Already better in hoops,

Volleyball remains great. Such a win - thank you Texas!

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

BIG won't take Texas in the short term because Texas doesn't think it has to play by the same rules.

The whole reason the Big 12 blew up and Nebraska left is Texas screwed everyone.

Now, if Texas agrees to be a team player like the BIG requires. great fit. Good in all sports and huge market. But, I don't see it happening.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    The musical chairs game of who does the Dozen minus Duece invite if that would happen would have to start with Houston. Maybe BYU & Cincinatti.

Personally I'm against having conferences with three time zones because I like them to be for all sports- and that kind of travel poses problems.
    Without Texas and OU the B12 becomes a mid major conference no matter who they add.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    The big question is what happens to the remaining 8 Big 12 schools when Texas and OU bolt. I suppose they could stick with 8 - the Big 8 certainly did it for years. But would it be in the P5 mix? And the media payout per school - that would be cut dramatically - Texas Tech and KU would probably bring more to the media value than any of the remaining schools, and that's not saying a whole lot. North Texas and SMU might be the most logical invitees. At least they would bring additional media to the table as well as some cross-town rivalries.
    The musical chairs game of who does the Dozen minus Duece invite if that would happen would have to start with Houston. Maybe BYU & Cincinatti.

Personally I'm against having conferences with three time zones because I like them to be for all sports- and that kind of travel poses problems.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X