Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/17)

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
      Exactly.

Comment

I don't know what a voter bases their opinions on. (Frankly I think the majority just look at w/l and MAYBE the score.) However, you have offered your opinion. It may be based on a lot of data, or just that.. an opinion. So who knows what is the right order? Have you watched the other teams play or are you just basing it on stats? Do you know what key people were playing or not playing and why? Many factors can go into a team's performance and many of the factors can be difficult to discover- especially in D2. k
        Key players may be nicked up or ill. A coach may want to give another guy a shot. etc. One thing for sure.. the polls are indeed subjective and can lead to head scratching results. But who knows what a voter does or does not know about a team? Or for that matter, how "honest" is their vote?

Still, they seem to garner more than their share of comments, so indeed the interest is there.

So, keep it coming. The more the merrier.

Comment

It can't be understated that few people, and I mean very few, actually understand the entire landscape of D2 football around the country. You're kidding yourself if you think all the voters and coaches are fully aware of what's happening across different regions or conferences.

These games aren't televised. There's no media coverage (minimal depending on which team you root for). Everything we know about every team is either what somebody tells us or what we believe based on a result that we see.

There's nothing more to these polls than talking points. They mean nothing. And you can tell how some of the "name brand" schools are treated differently by the voters. One team might lose to the same unranked opponent by the same score, but the name that people recognize may fall 6 spots, while the other program might fall 18. There's no consistency or formula. And again, it means nothing. Think West Florida cared what they were ranked in the Top 25 poll last year? No chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bos715 View Post
            i think GV should be ranked higher also struggled against delta but bad weather beat indy good after the first half but when A&M barley wins a 2 OT game and Minn State should have lost their 2nd game. and ferris played a really good findlay team and beat them by 40+ and i know rankings mean nothing but how do you not look at ferris and think they are better up to this point. even indiana pa struggled against ashland who is down, nw missouri has done great this year also had one fairly close game but ferris has not given up more then 6 points in a the first half yet
            Transitive property is not applicable to football, but this is beyond any property or logical thought.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
              It can't be understated that few people, and I mean very few, actually understand the entire landscape of D2 football around the country. You're kidding yourself if you think all the voters and coaches are fully aware of what's happening across different regions or conferences.

These games aren't televised. There's no media coverage (minimal depending on which team you root for). Everything we know about every team is either what somebody tells us or what we believe based on a result that we see.

There's nothing more to these polls than talking points. They mean nothing. And you can tell how some of the "name brand" schools are treated differently by the voters. One team might lose to the same unranked opponent by the same score, but the name that people recognize may fall 6 spots, while the other program might fall 18. There's no consistency or formula. And again, it means nothing. Think West Florida cared what they were ranked in the Top 25 poll last year? No chance.
              This isn't just a D2 problem. I truly believe this is the case in FBS as well. Ask a Central Florida fan.

Comment

Poll Schmoll

They are just for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

And at the end of the day, it's the regional rankings that reign supreme in terms of the playoffs. The national polls, while nice to look at and debate, carry about as much importance as the points on Whose Line Is It Anyway.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X