Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    In defense of UC Davis, they should be in the Mountain West and D-1. Darn near 40,000 students, top 30 school academically, and new $40 MILLION football operations/athletic facility being built. In the Sacramento metro area (15 miles away), they spent too much time in D2.
    Just curious has Cal Berkley and/or UCLA ever done anything to prevent UC Davis from rising to their level athletically?

I know some states have legally blocked lower level public universities from moving up divisions in NCAA, pretty much allowing only the state's flagship schools to be the only major D1 presence. I feel that over the years Grand Valley State is constantly mentioned as a D2 school that could easily transition to D1 but the state of Michigan won't allow them to do so. Same thing with Wisconsin-Whitewater in D3.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Just curious has Cal Berkley and/or UCLA ever done anything to prevent UC Davis from rising to their level athletically?

I know some states have legally blocked lower level public universities from moving up divisions in NCAA, pretty much allowing only the state's flagship schools to be the only major D1 presence. I feel that over the years Grand Valley State is constantly mentioned as a D2 school that could easily transition to D1 but the state of Michigan won't allow them to do so. Same thing with Wisconsin-Whitewater in D3.
      The Universities of Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin have been accused of the same thing. With good reason I might add.

Comment

Western Illinois has been rumored as a potential school that might need to reclassify to Division II.

Comment

I can honestly say I've never heard of Chicago State before you guys replied to this thread.
          Chicago State has long had one of the worst men's basketball programs in Division I (probably 20-25 years). Chicago has long been a college basketball wasteland, particularly since Ray Meyer retired at DePaul in 1984, but even within the Chicagoland area the Chicago State program is irrelevant (from what I've read) relative to Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago, and Illinois-Chicago.

If Chicago State does drop out of Division I, they wouldn't be the first Chicago area college/university to do so; Northeastern Illinois dropped all sports in the late 1990s after playing in Division I for 10 years.

Comment

As a GV alum and a Michigan resident, I am not familiar with this paradigm. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I have not heard it to be true.

I have people regularly ask me when is GV moving up, or why they have yet to. My standard answer is: "How long you got?" GV is right where it belongs, and all of the proof needed lies within short 60, 100, and 150 miles drives of campus. Just look at the $ Western, Central and Eastern pour into their athletic departments from their general fund every year so they can be no-names in D1. It's pure lunacy. Until the NCAA is disbanded, or the divisions realign, GV should stay right where it is.

As for schools that should move down, I think that begs a larger question to which I just alluded: When does the NCAA blow up, or realign? I mean, if I'm Holy Cross or Colgate or Incarnate Word or South Dakota State, I can be semi-competitive to competitive in football but I have no hope of anything real in pretty much any other sport. So, they may be in the right spot for football, but one could argue the rest of their D1 existence is all but pointless.

SO, when looking at D1 schools that could/potentially SHOULD move down I think other posters are on the right track that this is a question that may be better-asked regarding NON-football schools. There are probably far more of those who have a story that is compelling to a more appropriate alignment. At least within football, they're primarily playing schools with a story and mission that is at least in the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
              I mean, if I'm Holy Cross or Colgate or Incarnate Word or South Dakota State, I can be semi-competitive to competitive in football but I have no hope of anything real in pretty much any other sport. So, they may be in the right spot for football, but one could argue the rest of their D1 existence is all but pointless.
              I think the perception you're portraying here is the problem. It shouldn't be national title or bust in every sport for these schools. SDSU might not be "competitive" with the likes of Duke and UNC in men's basketball, but they've still made the NCAA Tournament in 4 of the last 8 seasons. I would hardly call that pointless, even if they haven't advanced far in the tournament. There's good money for these schools in the national tournaments that makes being Division I worthwhile if they can get there on a regular level.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I think the perception you're portraying here is the problem. It shouldn't be national title or bust in every sport for these schools. SDSU might not be "competitive" with the likes of Duke and UNC in men's basketball, but they've still made the NCAA Tournament in 4 of the last 8 seasons. I would hardly call that pointless, even if they haven't advanced far in the tournament. There's good money for these schools in the national tournaments that makes being Division I worthwhile if they can get there on a regular level.
                Yes, there is money to be made in D1 MBB and reduce the need to fund raise the old fashioned way. But frequently this means that the rest of the athletic programs need to compete at the D1 level and getting there butts kicked. You might have a very nice D2 women's soccer team but when your school moves up to D1 that programs drops off dramatically versus schools that are fully funded and have an established history. Questionable but popular logic.

Comment

I can further make the case that most D2 schools should be D3. So there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                    Certainly many if not most.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                      Or NAIA. That'll tick some of you off.

Comment

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post

Or NAIA. That'll tick some of you off.
                        Why? There's nothing wrong with the NAIA for schools that belong there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I've had people get irate when I have made that statement in the past. Usually, it's MIAA, LSC and GAC people.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Would you consider NAIA to kind of be sandwiched between D2 and D3 in terms of athletic quality? What are NAIA scholarship standards compared to D2? What encourages schools to identify with NAIA rather than NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post

I've had people get irate when I have made that statement in the past. Usually, it's MIAA, LSC and GAC people.
                              Well it doesn't make sense for most of the schools in those leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Would you consider NAIA to kind of be sandwiched between D2 and D3 in terms of athletic quality? What are NAIA scholarship standards compared to D2? What encourages schools to identify with NAIA rather than NCAA?
                                Not really. In terms of the level of play - probably. But the cultures are very different. The NAIA model is mostly about throwing a little money at multiple things and hoping to increase enrollment.

There is more administration and oversight in the NCAA and better record keeping.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X