Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

I'm of the opinion that the NFL should start a minor league system like the MLB and NBA (sort of) has, and ALL college athletics should be funded much more like the D2 level. The NCAA is a monster and needs to be changed.
    They already have it and don't pay for it. It's called Power 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

They already have it and don't pay for it. It's called Power 5.
      What I don't get is paying tight ends coaches $325,000 a year; and special teams coaches the same or more. I know a knuckle-dragger, dumb as dirt guy, who got a Power 5 outside LB coaching job for $300K about five years ago. Dude can't spell his own name.

Supply greatly outweighs demand on coaching, yet colleges are willing to build Taj Mahal facilities, pay middling coaches millions, and willing to risk debt. College athletics simply doesn't adhere to simple supply & demand economics, I've never gotten it. I guess I understand the payoff of a big time winning coach and a good coordinator or two, but after that is one receiver coach really better than another. I once was watching a Power 5 practice and the receivers coach was standing right there as his group dropped 8 straight passes. He said nothing. He's now a highly paid head coach of a Power 5 school on the west coast. I thought his initial receiver coaching was a joke, seen junior high guys better ... now he's big time. I don't get the business, and I agree with Iron Ore, though the NFL will never give up its free minor league system called college football.

I liked college football just as much if not more decades ago with semi-normal looking size linemen and average paid coaches. If it's going to be Clemson vs. Alabama until the end of time, I'm out.

Comment

So ummmm, it looks like New Haven (NE10) is eyeing a move to Division 1.

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...7vu-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

What I don't get is paying tight ends coaches $325,000 a year; and special teams coaches the same or more. I know a knuckle-dragger, dumb as dirt guy, who got a Power 5 outside LB coaching job for $300K about five years ago. Dude can't spell his own name.

Supply greatly outweighs demand on coaching, yet colleges are willing to build Taj Mahal facilities, pay middling coaches millions, and willing to risk debt. College athletics simply doesn't adhere to simple supply & demand economics, I've never gotten it. I guess I understand the payoff of a big time winning coach and a good coordinator or two, but after that is one receiver coach really better than another. I once was watching a Power 5 practice and the receivers coach was standing right there as his group dropped 8 straight passes. He said nothing. He's now a highly paid head coach of a Power 5 school on the west coast. I thought his initial receiver coaching was a joke, seen junior high guys better ... now he's big time. I don't get the business, and I agree with Iron Ore, though the NFL will never give up its free minor league system called college football.

I liked college football just as much if not more decades ago with semi-normal looking size linemen and average paid coaches. If it's going to be Clemson vs. Alabama until the end of time, I'm out.
          Too add on, the NFL did what it could to kill the AAF with its rules for even practice squad players and that league tried to be a developmental league for the NFL. I've seen articles Vince McMahan also wants the new XFL to fill that role, so let's see how it goes. I remember though when the NFL did have a developmental league called NFL Europe, helped Jon Kitna break into the NFL by getting playing time and lead Seattle to the playoffs from the dregs where they had been.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
            So ummmm, it looks like New Haven (NE10) is eyeing a move to Division 1.

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...7vu-story.html
            I'm sure they'll contend with Clemson for the national title in football and Kentucky in men's hoops ... in reality, they're hoping for a 50-point loss in the first round of the NCAA tournament and Big Dance money. Crazy business model.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

I'm sure they'll contend with Clemson for the national title in football and Kentucky in men's hoops ... in reality, they're hoping for a 50-point loss in the first round of the NCAA tournament and Big Dance money. Crazy business model.
              Maybe they hope to fill the void left by UCONN if they decide to cut football lol

Comment

my daughter went to the smallest D1 school in the nation at the time on a volleyball scholarship but by the time she was a senior they had dropped down to D3 (should have dropped to D2) - they gave all students the opportunity to move to another D1 school if they so chose - the NCAA said they could go and play immediately - she stayed, the academics were very good and she just played a sport she loved (yes, she kept her full scholarship thus the team couldn't do playoffs until after her senior year)

Comment

Everyone in the MEAC and SWAC barely have any money. The NEC I believe does not have the full 63 scholarships, and have stadiums the size of D2 ones. Morehead State is in the PFL despite being in the OVC for other sports. For non-football, the entire WAC except NMSU and GCU are D2 material, in fact that conference is basically putting a lot of schools in debt and killing off western D2 in an attempt to stay afloat, Nearly all of the low-majors should go down to D2, except the Ivies and NDSU and the like. Chasing a pipe-dream, or being stubborn, it is not the place for small, regional universities to pretend to have extra money (by blowing student fees everywhere). Yes, it would happen in D2 as well but at least they would be closer to living within their means. All D2 versus D3 still allows for a scholarship to reward a player for their efforts, which they should get.

Comment

Just curious has Cal Berkley and/or UCLA ever done anything to prevent UC Davis from rising to their level athletically?

I know some states have legally blocked lower level public universities from moving up divisions in NCAA, pretty much allowing only the state's flagship schools to be the only major D1 presence. I feel that over the years Grand Valley State is constantly mentioned as a D2 school that could easily transition to D1 but the state of Michigan won't allow them to do so. Same thing with Wisconsin-Whitewater in D3.
                    The state of Michigan couldn't care less what GVSU does for athletics. They barely give GVSU any money and Division I athletics is generally funded by donations as well as fees built into tuition. GVSU's decision to stay in D2 was strictly made within.

Comment

Maybe they hope to fill the void left by UCONN if they decide to cut football lol

Comment

Nicholls State University in Louisiana should definitely be a DII school. As broke as the state of LA is, I can't understand how this school can afford the requirements needed to be in the FCS. Although McNeese has had more recent success in football, they could be a candidate for D2.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                          Nicholls State University in Louisiana should definitely be a DII school. As broke as the state of LA is, I can't understand how this school can afford the requirements needed to be in the FCS. Although McNeese has had more recent success in football, they could be a candidate for D2.
                          Nicholls State went to the playoffs the past two seasons and making it to the second round last year. I think they came close to beating Georgia a few seasons back as well.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                            Nicholls is a former GSC school. Both schools you mentioned, of course, would fit perfectly in the GSC footprint.
                            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

The state of Michigan couldn't care less what GVSU does for athletics. They barely give GVSU any money and Division I athletics is generally funded by donations as well as fees built into tuition. GVSU's decision to stay in D2 was strictly made within.
                              GV gets $70 million a year from Michigan to operate. That's before state student aid and state funded building projects. Significantly less than the flagships but that's life for a regional state school.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

D2 is taxing students every bit as much as the rest...
                                Agreed but how much less could they be taxing their students if they dropped football down to FCS?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X