X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkblot
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasDigger View Post
    I just don't see UIW or HBU (or for that matter, Abilene Christian) making it in FCS or FBS.
    Well, last season UIW made the FCS playoffs and ACU made the basketball tournament. Which is ironic considering that in D2 UIW was a basketball power and ACU was a football power.

Leave a comment:

• TexasDigger
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I wouldn't put UIW and HBU in the same category as each other. UIW is growing and I've heard rumors that they want to be in the FBS.

(Also, UTPB is still in D2.)
    My bad on UTPB ... You are 100% correct.

I just don't see UIW or HBU (or for that matter, Abilene Christian) making it in FCS or FBS. But - they all three do have one thing in common ... $$$$.

And now Tarleton is moving to D1 (FCS) ... they absolutely have the support both monetarily & a fast growing student body, plus they proved that they can compete by whipping SFA's butt (at SFA) earlier this season.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    When PRATT & WHITNEY decides to conclude their naming rights, it will be even less profitable. The HUSKIES seem to average around 20,000 per game or 50% capacity which isn't terrible considering that STORRS is 24 miles away from EAST HARTFORD which has a crime rate higher than 91% of CT. Speaking of their egos UCONN football has won 1 game this year....24-21 over WAGNER....who also lost to ESU 24-14...so there's that.

Leave a comment:

• Inkblot
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasDigger View Post
    Here in Texas I can think of the following ..... Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word (San Antonio), UT-Permian Basin (Odessa).
    I wouldn't put UIW and HBU in the same category as each other. UIW is growing and I've heard rumors that they want to be in the FBS.

(Also, UTPB is still in D2.)

Leave a comment:

• TexasDigger
    replied
    Here in Texas I can think of the following ..... Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word (San Antonio), UT-Permian Basin (Odessa).

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by canadarican View Post
    Said it before, but Presbyterian needs to drop back down
    Their fans on here were pretty cocky while they were reclassifying.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Why wouldn't UCONN join the CAA like VILLANOVA. Really geographically tight competitive league. Everything else BIG EAST. Seems like a natural fit.

Leave a comment:

• canadarican
    replied
    Said it before, but Presbyterian needs to drop back down

Leave a comment:

• Tony Nicolette
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I think the perception you're portraying here is the problem. It shouldn't be national title or bust in every sport for these schools. SDSU might not be "competitive" with the likes of Duke and UNC in men's basketball, but they've still made the NCAA Tournament in 4 of the last 8 seasons. I would hardly call that pointless, even if they haven't advanced far in the tournament. There's good money for these schools in the national tournaments that makes being Division I worthwhile if they can get there on a regular level.
    I can understand why you interpreted what I wrote that way, but it isn't true. I don't believe it should be "title or bust"...BUT, I do believe that being able to be truly competitive in a real way should be attainable. Fine, SDSU made the tourney a few times...no, not "pointless", but the reality is that they aren't TRULY competitive...particularly on an annual basis...particularly across the board for all of their programs.

And as for the "good money" for these schools to make in national tournaments, I guess that depends on your definition of "good". Teams in this year's D1 basketball tournament (the most lucrative of them all) earned a $1.7M stipend for playing in a single game in the tourney (whether they win or lose), but that money is typically paid directly to the team's Conference to be distributed. While they don't "have to" pay it out evenly, the NCAA "strongly encourages" the practice. So, let's say the Summit League plays along...no matter who gets in from the League (SDSU from your example, or otherwise) every member gets the same amount. The $1.7M is actually paid out over six years, but since a team from the league gets in every year that's sort of moot as the years accumulate and the net is the same. So, take that $1.7M and divide it by the league's nine members: That's a hair under $189,000 per year. Nothing to sneeze at, no, but when the league's athletics budgets range from about $10M on the low end to $27M on the higher end, you're talking about a max impact of less than 2% of the school's athletic budget.

OH BY THE WAY...seldom is the full amount distributed in these smaller conferences. Many of these leagues use this "guaranteed" revenue as a part of THEIR budget, and the schools only get what is left over after those league expenses are covered. In our example above, the $189K is a "best case scenario", and likely not what really happens.

Now, sure, if the league's team manages an upset and play another game, they can earn some additional $. But again, every if they do, the # may double...but even with full distribution it isn't going to cause a big shift in their budget. Again, what's the definition of "good"? Does that amount of money make being in D1 "worthwhile"?

I will say that perhaps my use of the word "pointless" to describe a team's being in D1 or making its tournament wasn't reflective of my true meaning. No, it isn't pointless. It is, however, worthy of a second look when a school considers why they're spending SO much money. Yes, they're educating some more kids and that is important. But can't there also be an importance placed on having at least a couple of your teams being able to play for something real in terms of accomplishment and championships? Can't that ability to market your institution and draw even more students to it be a desired and reasonable outcome? As I mentioned in my prior post, there are glaring examples of just this question that are very short drives from GV. Three MAC schools in Michigan all shift $20M+ (on average) from their general funds to their athletics budgets EVERY YEAR. What are they truly getting for that?

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

I agree with 4 tats and I don't think UCONN will drop all the way back to their old FCS conference. Especially considering when the Big East sponsored football they were part of a BCS conference and made it to the Fiesta Bowl one year. I think that would be a far drop for them to go all the way back to FCS. Personally with all the Mid Atlantic and Northern ACC and Big Ten schools I think they could string together some decent schedules as an independent.

I will say that I think UMass is more likely to move back down. The MAC gave them an ultimatum of join for all sports or drop the associate membership for football, and they decided they'd rather be in the A10. I can't see them wanting to leave the A10 basketball so it wouldn't surprise if they go back to the CAA and try to restore their FCS football glory.
    Still puzzles me why UCONN figures it's more big time than NOVA, also from the BE, and certainly more successful than the HUSKIES in both football and basketball as of late.

Leave a comment:

• LegalRam
    replied

Why wouldn't UCONN join the CAA like VILLANOVA. Really geographically tight competitive league. Everything else BIG EAST. Seems like a natural fit.
    I agree with 4 tats and I don't think UCONN will drop all the way back to their old FCS conference. Especially considering when the Big East sponsored football they were part of a BCS conference and made it to the Fiesta Bowl one year. I think that would be a far drop for them to go all the way back to FCS. Personally with all the Mid Atlantic and Northern ACC and Big Ten schools I think they could string together some decent schedules as an independent.

I will say that I think UMass is more likely to move back down. The MAC gave them an ultimatum of join for all sports or drop the associate membership for football, and they decided they'd rather be in the A10. I can't see them wanting to leave the A10 basketball so it wouldn't surprise if they go back to the CAA and try to restore their FCS football glory.

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied

Personally don't think UConn would move to FCS like Idaho was willing to do. People on other boards I frequent have suggested that if they can't find a new FBS conference home in the next handful of years, UConn would rather shut down the program and add (NCAA level) Men's Lacrosse in it's place.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Maybe they hope to fill the void left by UCONN if they decide to cut football lol

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    It may be piling on, but how about Wagner,?!

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Well they're non-scholarship in football....

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X