Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

If I remember correctly, when there were 6 classes, the reason why they added a 6A was because there was a nearly 2,000 student gap from the smallest big school to the the biggest school.
    According to the MSHSL website 6A football is for enrollments of 1,711 and above. Which still leaves a 1,300 size gap as I think Eden Prarie, Wayzata, and Minnetonka are all over 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
      Wow. Pennsylvania has six classes and people here are suggesting that there should be less than that. I can't imagine seven classes here, much less in a smaller state.
      And it should be noted Pennsylvania only recently increased from four classes.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

A gap of 2000? Some of these schools are getting too big! We need to build some more one room schoolhouses!
        That was Hermiston's problem in Oregon, they were reaching 1600 students in a town of about 18k with enough funding for just one High School. They were 5A with a large conference travel area, but were going to be 6A this year and have to play all conference games nearly 200 miles away as none of the Portland schools were willing to travel there. In the end, they joined the 3A/4A (equivalent to 5A/6A in Oregon) conference in Washington with no school more than 40 miles away. When I went there, they had league games at 199 miles away and that wasn't even the largest conference road trip which was at 240 miles for the other school.

I'd love to see more states do what Oregon and Washington did in the end for outlier schools like them.

Comment

In Missouri, 351 teams in six 11-man classes and one 8-man class.
          8-Man: 27 (1-150)
          Class 1: 64 (1-195)
          Class 2: 64 (196-342)
          Class 3: 64 (343-563)
          Class 4: 64 (564-1021)
          Class 5: 36 (1022-1311)
          Class 6: 32 (1312-2055)

Class 5 is the catch 22 class. The biggest 32 schools are put in class 6.
          Every team makes the playoffs in Missouri. Lots of blowouts the first couple of rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin Albertson View Post
            In Missouri, 351 teams in six 11-man classes and one 8-man class.
            8-Man: 27 (1-150)
            Class 1: 64 (1-195)
            Class 2: 64 (196-342)
            Class 3: 64 (343-563)
            Class 4: 64 (564-1021)
            Class 5: 36 (1022-1311)
            Class 6: 32 (1312-2055)

Class 5 is the catch 22 class. The biggest 32 schools are put in class 6.
            Every team makes the playoffs in Missouri. Lots of blowouts the first couple of rounds.
            And Missouri rules for blowouts:
            8-Man: Mercy Rule after 45 point differential at/after halftime, but both teams must agree to end the game in the playoffs. One conference has it as a rule for their conference games. Running clock after 45 point difference.
            11-man: No mercy rule, running clock on 30+ point games after halftime.

I called a 96-42 8-man game last night. It was a 4/5 matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I just looked at the nine-man brackets- it looks like all of the teams made it. I think each section can determine their own rules but I doubt if anyone missed out. I mostly just pay attention to nine man or the local teams if they are a higher class.

Yes. Every team makes the postseason. They play for seeding during the regular season - effectively turning it into a really long and glorified preseason.

Hypothetically, the first couple rounds should weed out the weaker teams, but that's not always the case. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the lower seed wins. They usually get annihilated down the line. Most people I've discussed this with enjoy this model, but I personally think it's really, really stupid.

Also, this is the model for every sport. Hockey, basketball, baseball, volleyball - everyone goes to sub-sections/sections to play for a shot at state. Given how we have 17 classes to begin with, it's kind of ridiculous.

Comment

Talked to a guy from Pierre at the Mav game. He was saying at which point the 2nd, 3rd, 4th strings got in. That they wanted to do running time and actually did, which is different than the account that I read. High school league should make some rule changes so that things don't get out of hand.

Comment

Last Friday Nebraska had a first-round playoff game in 6-man football with a 100-0 score. There is a running clock in the second half once a 35-point scoring margin is reached.

In Nebraska there are seven classes for football. Four 11-man classes, two 8-man classes and one 6-man class.

Nebraska's class breakdown is as follows:

-----11-Man----
                  Class A: 32 schools / 16 make playoffs
                  Class B: 23 schools / 16 make playoffs
                  Class C1: 42 schools / 16 make playoffs
                  Class C2: 39 schools / 16 make playoffs

-----8-man-----
                  Class D1: 57 schools / 32 make playoffs
                  Class D2: 52 schools / 32 make playoffs

----6-man----
                  Class D6: 31 schools / 16 make playoffs

Comment

In contrast, sister state North Dakota officially has 4 classes, although 6-man football is gaining some traction, so we could be up to five if 6-man gets officially sanctioned by the NDHSAA when they reclassify teams the next time. I'll still list 6-man since there are schools playing at that level.

6-Man: 8 teams, 4 in playoffs
                    9-Man: 38 teams, 16 in playoffs
                    A: 32 teams, 16 in playoffs
                    AA: 12 teams, 8 in playoffs
                    AAA: 16 teams, 8 in playoffs

So I agree with those stating that any system that lets everyone in the playoffs is ridiculous. The whole point of the regular season should be to eliminate the worst teams and give good teams a reward with the playoffs.

Comment

Montana has four classifications, with the C level having 8 and 6 man levels. That is five total for football.

Class AA: 901 students or more
                      Class A: 351-900 students
                      Class B: 131-350 students
                      8-Man: 66-130 students
                      6-Man: 65 students or fewer

AA 15 teams. All teams make the playoffs this year since it was an addition (Belgrade) that made it not possible to have 9 games in regular season. Bozeman adds a new HS next year to bring the total to 16 teams.

A 21 teams. 16 teams make the playoffs.

B 38 teams 16 teams make teh playoffs

C 105 total schools. Some co-op to get enough kids for a team. This might involve schools 40 miles apart splitting game and practice locations. One game I did this year involved two teams that each had a co-op of three schools in order to get enough kids for a 6 man team.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                        Montana has four classifications, with the C level having 8 and 6 man levels. That is five total for football.

Class AA: 901 students or more
                        Class A: 351-900 students
                        Class B: 131-350 students
                        8-Man: 66-130 students
                        6-Man: 65 students or fewer

AA 15 teams. All teams make the playoffs this year since it was an addition (Belgrade) that made it not possible to have 9 games in regular season. Bozeman adds a new HS next year to bring the total to 16 teams.

A 21 teams. 16 teams make the playoffs.

B 38 teams 16 teams make teh playoffs

C 105 total schools. Some co-op to get enough kids for a team. This might involve schools 40 miles apart splitting game and practice locations. One game I did this year involved two teams that each had a co-op of three schools in order to get enough kids for a 6 man team.

Co-ops are fairly common in Nebraska as well.

Comment

After 103-0 loss last week, Spearfish Head Football Coach Chad McCarty has resigned.

0-10 season and only 23 points scored all season.

Comment

Different problem in a different part of the country. Scoring too much has consequences

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...564488131.html

Comment

Originally posted by Devin Albertson View Post

And Missouri rules for blowouts:
                              8-Man: Mercy Rule after 45 point differential at/after halftime, but both teams must agree to end the game in the playoffs. One conference has it as a rule for their conference games. Running clock after 45 point difference.
                              11-man: No mercy rule, running clock on 30+ point games after halftime.

I called a 96-42 8-man game last night. It was a 4/5 matchup.
                              Missouri 11-man is 35+ point differential with running clock after halftime. Maryville could've easily put 80+, maybe 90+ on St. Joe Christian last week. The score was 35-0 after the 1st. The average 1st round score in our Class 2 district was 55-11.
                              Go Hounds!
                              B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                              Cyclone Power
                              ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                                Different problem in a different part of the country. Scoring too much has consequences

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...564488131.html
                                Yes, what message does punting on first down send?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X