Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We seem to have gotten off track a bit focusing on individual sports cut by universities/colleges. What is the current tally of colleges that have perminently closed as a result of Covid?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      We seem to have gotten off track a bit focusing on individual sports cut by universities/colleges. What is the current tally of colleges that have perminently closed as a result of Covid?
      Nothing that I've seen, and I check everyday.

I was expecting a few more colleges to shut their doors, but they seem to be scraping by. The OP is updated with all closures based on the criteria I'm tracking, but a couple that I haven't listed are Robert Morris University (IL) and branch campuses. They merged with Roosevelt University pre-coronavirus, but I think it just went into effect at the end of the year. Pine Manor College merged with Boston College as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Nothing that I've seen, and I check everyday.

I was expecting a few more colleges to shut their doors, but they seem to be scraping by. The OP is updated with all closures based on the criteria I'm tracking, but a couple that I haven't listed are Robert Morris University (IL) and branch campuses. They merged with Roosevelt University pre-coronavirus, but I think it just went into effect at the end of the year. Pine Manor College merged with Boston College as well.
        Probably we'll see a lot more mergers than outright closings ala URBANA. A lot of the small campuses have a good deal of history and drawing power but due to administrative incompetence and/or malfeasance, are in a bind. As any one who follows me knows my #1 candidate for this is WU being changed with little difficulty into WVU-WHEELING which I feel could be very viable. Time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Probably we'll see a lot more mergers than outright closings ala URBANA. A lot of the small campuses have a good deal of history and drawing power but due to administrative incompetence and/or malfeasance, are in a bind. As any one who follows me knows my #1 candidate for this is WU being changed with little difficulty into WVU-WHEELING which I feel could be very viable. Time will tell.
          IMO, there are way, way too many schools. Many of the small private schools that are closing are academically unremarkable in my opinion. Why go to Marlboro College for a BA - English when you can get the same degree at a bigger school for half the cost? Why go to Marlboro College for a BA - English when there are 20 other small private schools offering the same degree in a 100 mile radius?

But yes, I think you are correct - I think mergers will be the big player early on, especially in the dense Northeast.

Urbana is interesting because they actually ceased operations in 2014. Since then, they've been operated by Franklin University. FU (lol) retained the name and athletic department, but has since chose to re-allocate resources. Based on what I've read, both UU and FU (lol) aren't that remarkable academically.

Running a list like this is difficult because I'm only interested in scenarios which a campus closes - so many of the mergers don't make the cut based on my definition of closing because they will continue to operate in some spiritual fashion.

Comment

• The University of Vermont is closing it's Campus Children's School - in part due to COVID-19. The school is over 80 years old. Tuition is over $14,000 a year(!).

https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/01/uvm-...school-closes/

Comment

• This is the former stadium for Morris Brown in Atlanta. It was the site of the Olympic field hockey competition. Reportedly MB is down to 40 students and has lost accreditation.

https://abandonedplaygrounds.com/201...st-apocalypse/

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                This is the former stadium for Morris Brown in Atlanta. It was the site of the Olympic field hockey competition. Reportedly MB is down to 40 students and has lost accreditation.

Sad to see what was a nice stadium reduced to this abysmal state.

Comment

This is the former stadium for Morris Brown in Atlanta. It was the site of the Olympic field hockey competition. Reportedly MB is down to 40 students and has lost accreditation.

Interesting. I've never heard of this college, but I looked them up on Wikipedia and they seem to have a pretty wild history. The president was caught in a massive embezzlement scheme in the late '90s which caused their accredidation to be revoked in the early '00s. The alumni association has pledged to keep the school alive and they are looking at regaining accredidation, almost 20 years after losing it.

Herdon Stadium was a popular filming location it seems, being used in at least three sizable movies. The program was a founding member of the SIAC and was briefly a D1 program until being discontinued in 2003.

I'm going to read up more on this school. I'm curious about them. Thanks for posting the link!

Comment

Interesting. I've never heard of this college, but I looked them up on Wikipedia and they seem to have a pretty wild history. The president was caught in a massive embezzlement scheme in the late '90s which caused their accredidation to be revoked in the early '00s. The alumni association has pledged to keep the school alive and they are looking at regaining accredidation, almost 20 years after losing it.

Herdon Stadium was a popular filming location it seems, being used in at least three sizable movies. The program was a founding member of the SIAC and was briefly a D1 program until being discontinued in 2003.

I'm going to read up more on this school. I'm curious about them. Thanks for posting the link!
                    Gophers hosted them in men's basketball around the year 2000. Gophers beat them but almost all of their games were road paydays. Another school that doesn't have sports anymore is Northeastern Illinois, which was D1 but dropped them in 1998. They were in the Mid-Continent (later called the Summit).

Comment

Gophers hosted them in men's basketball around the year 2000. Gophers beat them but almost all of their games were road paydays. Another school that doesn't have sports anymore is Northeastern Illinois, which was D1 but dropped them in 1998. They were in the Mid-Continent (later called the Summit).
                      Originally posted by laker View Post

Interesting way to stay afloat I guess, although it didn't end up working.

Oddly enough, Morris Brown gets about 2,500 applications a year. With no accreditation, the school can't provide financial aid so almost all of the students go elsewhere. If they are successful in their quest to gain TRACS accreditation, they might be in a salvageable spot as weird as that is to say. Hopefully they can pull something together.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that field was used for the movie Stomp the Yard starring Nick Cannon.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                          I'm pretty sure that field was used for the movie Stomp the Yard starring Nick Cannon.
                          You are correct. It was also used in Drumline and We Are Marshall.

Comment

Interesting way to stay afloat I guess, although it didn't end up working.

Oddly enough, Morris Brown gets about 2,500 applications a year. With no accreditation, the school can't provide financial aid so almost all of the students go elsewhere. If they are successful in their quest to gain TRACS accreditation, they might be in a salvageable spot as weird as that is to say. Hopefully they can pull something together.
                            According to what I read, Morris Brown is seeking accreditation through TRACCS (Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools) which they hope to complete in October 2020. They state that if they get this accreditation students will be eligible for federal student aid. If they truely have over 2000 applicants a year, that would probably up their enrolement considerably. Getting back in the good graces of the HBCU financial aid process from the federal gov will help them imeasurably as they try to claw their way back from the grave.

Got so say that I'm rooting for them, provided they do it right! I like these counted out by everyone, never say die, rise from the grave stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I would suspect that the state universities in West Virginia (WVU, Marshall, West Liberty, Fairmont State, Glenville State, Bluefield State, Concord and Shepherd) are in their own financial binds, so it just doesn't make much sense for WVU to take over the Wheeling campus. Presuming there are still financial issues at Wheeling University, why would the state of WV want to add more debt on the taxpayers?
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I would suspect that the state universities in West Virginia (WVU, Marshall, West Liberty, Fairmont State, Glenville State, Bluefield State, Concord and Shepherd) are in their own financial binds, so it just doesn't make much sense for WVU to take over the Wheeling campus. Presuming there are still financial issues at Wheeling University, why would the state of WV want to add more debt on the taxpayers?
                                Or there's that option just let them shrivel up and die.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X