Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In light of the non-call in the Rams/Saints Game...

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
    It was the correct call, but in those pre-replay days for them to overturn how the play was called initially was a pretty big upset.
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Before they did, I would have said it was an impossibility.
    A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
      A good crew will do this in cases, such as the one detailed, warrant reviewing it. I have seen this happen on several occasions, or even when the crew gets together to discuss.

There are many workings that an officiating crew goes through that the fans have no knowledge or understanding of. I know that many of you think I am an apologist; not at all. It is a difficult job that is further made difficult by many.
      How often have we heard "There is no flag for intentional grounding, there was a receiver in the area" or "the quarterback was out of the pocket". Another, "there was no pass interference as the ball was uncatchable". I'd say it isn't as uncommon as we like to think.

Comment

Comment

I remember when the "jet sweep" first showed up in the HS ranks. You had one side screaming "it was a fumble!" and the other side screaming "forward pass!". We had an officiating clinic at the start of the season where this was brought up. Along with several fellow officials, I attend the Montana Coaches Clinic each year, and the RPO was in one of the sessions, along with the jet sweep play. We went through this (there wasn't any video of specific instances where the play occurred with the incomplete pass), so when it first happens, it looks odd, and your first notion is fumble.

Comment

I remember when the "jet sweep" first showed up in the HS ranks. You had one side screaming "it was a fumble!" and the other side screaming "forward pass!". We had an officiating clinic at the start of the season where this was brought up. Along with several fellow officials, I attend the Montana Coaches Clinic each year, and the RPO was in one of the sessions, along with the jet sweep play. We went through this (there wasn't any video of specific instances where the play occurred with the incomplete pass), so when it first happens, it looks odd, and your first notion is fumble.
            I know Mel T. invented football in 1994, but I didn't know he invented the shovel pass too. :)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                I know Mel T. invented football in 1994, but I didn't know he invented the shovel pass too. :)
                That was Jim.

Comment

When you can hear the head coach yell "That's un-American!" at the top of his lungs to the Referee across the field, when he asked for a measurement, after the Referee called a first down after the punt team and return teams had entered the field and never got one.

Comment

Has there ever been a head coach that has missed a call?

Comment

The 5th down play between Mizzou and Colorado

Comment

Has there ever been a head coach that has missed a call?
                        Probably not in recorded history...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveItWhenYouCallMeLittlePoppa View Post
                            The 5th down play between Mizzou and Colorado
                            Springfield MO talk radio still whines about that one at least once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                              Springfield MO talk radio still whines about that one at least once a week.
                              I mean it was pretty egregious. A failure to count to 4 by not one official but the entire crew and chain gang

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveItWhenYouCallMeLittlePoppa View Post
                                I mean it was pretty egregious. A failure to count to 4 by not one official but the entire crew and chain gang
                                I loved McCartney's take on that in ESPN's 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac". I have a ton of respect for Bill McCartney. I hate to hear of his recent health problems.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X