Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    More parity??? Maybe for the top 10-15 teams, but beyond that much LESS parity. We are now in an era when mega-donors will become defacto owner/general managers. How's a team going to be able to resist a mega donor saying, I've got this 5-star QB that I'm paying a million dollars to that I'm bring to you...all YOU have to do is start him from day one...OR...I've got $1M that I want to donate to your team...all you have to do is bench players A, B and C? Don't agree to do that? guess you don't want my million dollars!
    Yea I agree with this, for the most part. This is going to create even less parity when it comes to FBS football. That backup offensive guard who is sitting behind a 1st round NFL draft pick is not going to transfer to a mid-tier school for an opportunity to start. He's gonna get handed 50k a year to stay so he can fill in when the guy in front of him leaves. Oh, you have a 5-star QB who is going to be the backup? Usually that guy would bolt. Not anymore. A cool 10k a month to keep your mouth shut and wait for the starting QB to go pro will do the trick.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Yea I agree with this, for the most part. This is going to create even less parity when it comes to FBS football. That backup offensive guard who is sitting behind a 1st round NFL draft pick is not going to transfer to a mid-tier school for an opportunity to start. He's gonna get handed 50k a year to stay so he can fill in when the guy in front of him leaves. Oh, you have a 5-star QB who is going to be the backup? Usually that guy would bolt. Not anymore. A cool 10k a month to keep your mouth shut and wait for the starting QB to go pro will do the trick.
      Yep...only "competition" for these players will come from other cash fat programs. Want that 5-star second string QB who is sitting behind tha can't miss NFL QB1? Just up the $'s he's getting and promise him he starts from day 1.

Another thing worth noting, the contracts these players sign, as 18 year old kids will probably be chock full of clauses,sub sections and "non-compete" language that effectively make them slaves to the team they sign with for the $ they sign for. 3 Star WR signs a four year contract to play for Alabama for $75k then gets on the field and becomes the next big thing. Best believe the Bama Football Club is going to hold him to that contract. Oh, Georgia Bulldog Football Club wants to pay him 500k a year to play for them? Love to let him do that but he has this non-compete clause in his contract!

Bottom line, a few players will make out very well, but most will burn through whatever pittance they get within 2 years of the end of their contract...no college degree,, no experience, and very few prospects.

Comment

Nike's Phil Knight (net worth right at 50 Billion (with a big B) is a big time football fan with major donations going to Oregon and Stanford in my opinion would have stacked one or both of those schools with the elite level transfers from schools like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc.
        • Knight has pledged over $500 million in donations to both the University of Oregon and Stanford's Graduate School of Business, his alma maters.

Unfortunately, moving forward with donors / alumni now having a major roll in the potential success of a schools football program, I believe this will be a huge blow to HBCU programs, especially those which are already struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          Nike's Phil Knight (net worth right at 50 Billion (with a big B) is a big time football fan with major donations going to Oregon and Stanford in my opinion would have stacked one or both of those schools with the elite level transfers from schools like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc.
          • Knight has pledged over $500 million in donations to both the University of Oregon and Stanford's Graduate School of Business, his alma maters.

Unfortunately, moving forward with donors / alumni now having a major roll in the potential success of a schools football program, I believe this will be a huge blow to HBCU programs, especially those which are already struggling.

Comment

I actually think that D2 & 3 programs are going to be winners. As FBS moves toward professional status, certain fans will hunger to watch true, unfettered college sports. No b.s. Just college kids competing in a sport they love. Which is where everything began.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
              I actually think that D2 & 3 programs are going to be winners. As FBS moves toward professional status, certain fans will hunger to watch true, unfettered college sports. No b.s. Just college kids competing in a sport they love. Which is where everything began.
              I don't think that will happen. The eyeballs will always, always, always flock to the talent. The majority of competitive football each week is in D3, D2, NAIA, non-D1 levels, and people have never flocked to it. It will always be on the future professionals and names. The only time "amateurism" is desired is during the Olympics, and even then, the highest ratings go to the professional basketball and hockey players.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Regardless of how the new system shakes out over the next few years I am not looking forward to the college football media spending a lot of time on their shows discussing/arguing about college football contracts.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X