Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up and Coming Coaches

I just read an article that has Willie Fritz the Tulane coach as a possible candidate for the Colorado job. A major reason I follow D2 college football is the grind of the coaching cycle-coaches really earn their way, a lot of D1 hires stem from nepotism and or players who have played at a certain school that is why its great to see coaches who have come from D2 programs. Off the top of my head the top 3 I see are.

Willie Fritz-Head Coach Tulane- D2 School coached at- Central Missouri
    Kalen Deboer-Head Coach Washington- D2 School coached at Sioux Falls (was NAIA at the time)
    Jake Dickert-Head Coach Washtington State- D2 School Coached at Augustana and Minnesota State

I was wondering who you guys feel will be the next coach out of D2 to a power 5. My guess would be Brandon Morris Head Coach of Colorado School of Mines. He has really put his stamp on the program and seems to have the presence to make the move one day. Given he would most likely take a coordinater job first before head coach. Some food for thought, would be great to see some other suggestions.

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
    I just read an article that has Willie Fritz the Tulane coach as a possible candidate for the Colorado job. A major reason I follow D2 college football is the grind of the coaching cycle-coaches really earn their way, a lot of D1 hires stem from nepotism and or players who have played at a certain school that is why its great to see coaches who have come from D2 programs. Off the top of my head the top 3 I see are.

Willie Fritz-Head Coach Tulane- D2 School coached at- Central Missouri
    Kalen Deboer-Head Coach Washington- D2 School coached at Sioux Falls (was NAIA at the time)
    Jake Dickert-Head Coach Washtington State- D2 School Coached at Augustana and Minnesota State

I was wondering who you guys feel will be the next coach out of D2 to a power 5. My guess would be Brandon Morris Head Coach of Colorado School of Mines. He has really put his stamp on the program and seems to have the presence to make the move one day. Given he would most likely take a coordinater job first before head coach. Some food for thought, would be great to see some other suggestions.

sorry Brandon Moore!

Comment

I fear that Coach Moore will move along... He played at OU and spent some time in the pros as a player and coach (analyst). He is strong on the defensive side and would make a great D-coordinator on a step up. Mines was just an offensive juggernaut that you could outscore until he came on staff and really balanced them out and raised their ceiling quite a bit.

I also think Brian Kelly won a little bit at D2 before moving to bigger ponds... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by d2 football fan View Post
        I fear that Coach Moore will move along... He played at OU and spent some time in the pros as a player and coach (analyst). He is strong on the defensive side and would make a great D-coordinator on a step up. Mines was just an offensive juggernaut that you could outscore until he came on staff and really balanced them out and raised their ceiling quite a bit.

I also think Brian Kelly won a little bit at D2 before moving to bigger ponds... LOL
        ahahaha Grand Valley State-Brian Kelly, thanks for the reminder, although his antics lately may have to have him removed from this list.

Yes, I can see Moore being picked up within the next couple of cycles.

Comment

I like the coaches at Tarleton St. - they were successful at D2 and now in year 3 of the move up to FCS and seem to be getting it together again. Coach Whitten probably getting to old to be considered a move up but I could see any of those assistants getting a shot at a head coaching job at another FCS team or lower FBS team and eventually working into a P5 - maybe a team like Houston gives them their big break.

Jerry Kill would be another example of a guy working the lower level rungs until breaking through to a P5

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
            I like the coaches at Tarleton St. - they were successful at D2 and now in year 3 of the move up to FCS and seem to be getting it together again. Coach Whitten probably getting to old to be considered a move up but I could see any of those assistants getting a shot at a head coaching job at another FCS team or lower FBS team and eventually working into a P5 - maybe a team like Houston gives them their big break.

Jerry Kill would be another example of a guy working the lower level rungs until breaking through to a P5
            Great call on Jerry Kill, his resume looks impressive, especially his stint at Saginaw. Tartleton's and Whitten have put together a nice staff. I can see someone coming out of there, ie. Adam Austin has the offense really firing.

Comment

Delane Fitzgerald Frostburg State University (2014-2021 Head Coach)- Led a resurgence in the FSU program and helped them transition from D3 to D2 without skipping a beat. Has been very competitive in the MEC conference and would have qualified for the playoffs if they were eligible in 2021. Got an offer to be the Head Coach at Southern Utah (FCS). Currently has them at 3-2, after they were 1-10 last year so already showing huge improvement there midway through his first year there.

Rob Keys Findlay University (2010-2021 Head Coach)- Very Successful tenure at Findlay. Made a few playoff appearances. Is now at THE Ohio State University as a quality control coach helping with the Special Teams. Could be a name to watch down the road.

Mickey Mental Notre Dame College (2019-2021 Head Coach)- 5 years as the OC at NDC, then promoted to Head Coach for his last 2 years there. Part of a staff that made NDC into one of the premier programs currently in Region 1. Took a job as the Offensive Coordinator at FCS Weber State. Weber State currently 4-0.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                Delane Fitzgerald Frostburg State University (2014-2021 Head Coach)- Led a resurgence in the FSU program and helped them transition from D3 to D2 without skipping a beat. Has been very competitive in the MEC conference and would have qualified for the playoffs if they were eligible in 2021. Got an offer to be the Head Coach at Southern Utah (FCS). Currently has them at 3-2, after they were 1-10 last year so already showing huge improvement there midway through his first year there.

Rob Keys Findlay University (2010-2021 Head Coach)- Very Successful tenure at Findlay. Made a few playoff appearances. Is now at THE Ohio State University as a quality control coach helping with the Special Teams. Could be a name to watch down the road.

Mickey Mental Notre Dame College (2019-2021 Head Coach)- 5 years as the OC at NDC, then promoted to Head Coach for his last 2 years there. Part of a staff that made NDC into one of the premier programs currently in Region 1. Took a job as the Offensive Coordinator at FCS Weber State. Weber State currently 4-0.
                Great finds, the Mickey Mental mention is interesting. I know Notre Dame College has been on the upswing the last little while. He seems to be really doing well at Weber State. Delane's success is great too. Their trajectory will be interesting.

Comment

Bob Chesney at Holy Cross-He coached at Assumption from 2013-2017 and took them to the SR1 finals in 2017. He’s won two straight Patriot League titles at Holy Cross and they’re favored to do it again. They also went to FBS Buffalo this year and won.

Comment

Former UNA QB & Harlon Hill Winner Will Hall coached at West AL and West GA before jumping to FBS as an assistant. He’s now the Head Coach at Southern Miss.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post

They got beat by ECU (D2) last spring. That alone should force them not to get a bigger job.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Great call on Jerry Kill, his resume looks impressive, especially his stint at Saginaw. Tartleton's and Whitten have put together a nice staff. I can see someone coming out of there, ie. Adam Austin has the offense really firing.
                        Kill was already a HC at a P5 at Minnesota. He left for health reasons. I'd say this is his last stop as a HC.

Comment

Brian Wright Pittsburg State is someone who could move up. He was the interim head coach at FAU for a few games in I think it was 2013 and the OC at Toledo for a few years before coming to Pitt and reviving a moribund program. His kid is at Pitt now, but with the transfer portal that probably doesn't matter much, although the kid had only smaller school offers coming out of high school. Wright interviewed with Montana State last year before his kid signed so he does have a bit of a wandering eye, although he also has history at MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                            Bob Chesney at Holy Cross-He coached at Assumption from 2013-2017 and took them to the SR1 finals in 2017. He’s won two straight Patriot League titles at Holy Cross and they’re favored to do it again. They also went to FBS Buffalo this year and won.
                            A year later, I would say Bob Chesney is at the top of this list. Hes doing great things at Holy Cross and really made a dent at Assumption. I can see him being considered for Syracuse, or a UConn, UMass down the road. Any NE program would be foolish not to look at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Kill was already a HC at a P5 at Minnesota. He left for health reasons. I'd say this is his last stop as a HC.
                              The more time goes by, the less I think it was actually health related (even with his episodes).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X