Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-II teams defeating D-I (FCS) programs

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D-II teams defeating D-I (FCS) programs

    By my count, we're already up to 5 upsets of Div-II programs over D-I (FCS) ...

    Week 1
    Bowie State def. Del State
    Virginia State def. Norfolk State

    Week 2
    Barton def. Davidson
    Colorado Mesa def. San Diego
    Miles def. Alabama State


    Each year it seems like there is one or two of these upsets ... 5 seems like a lot, and particularly within the first two weeks. Does anyone have an idea of years that had more D-II wins over D-I opponents within a given season?

  • #2
    There's a big opportunity next week when Ferris State plays Montana. The Grizzlies are usually a pretty good team at the DI-AA/FCS level but I do think Ferris has a definite shot at grabbing a win.

    Comment


    • #3
      This week is a double header of ranked D2 vs. ranked FCS with Ferris at Montana and West Florida at Florida A & M. This is shortest road trip (200 miles) in West Florida history and I’m curious to see how both top 10 D2 teams do against ranked FCS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Argonut View Post
        This week is a double header of ranked D2 vs. ranked FCS with Ferris at Montana and West Florida at Florida A & M. This is shortest road trip (200 miles) in West Florida history and I’m curious to see how both top 10 D2 teams do against ranked FCS.
        I think West Florida has a better chance than Ferris does. But I doubt either team will win. Hope I'm wrong!
        Western New Mexico Mustangs

        Comment


        • #5
          There was even an NAIA over FCS upset this past weekend as Northwestern (IA) beat Drake. Honestly not a surprising outcome, but still worth mentioning.

          SMSU will be playing Valpo in a few weeks, so there's another opportunity.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post
            By my count, we're already up to 5 upsets of Div-II programs over D-I (FCS) ...

            Week 1
            Bowie State def. Del State
            Virginia State def. Norfolk State

            Week 2
            Barton def. Davidson
            Colorado Mesa def. San Diego
            Miles def. Alabama State


            Each year it seems like there is one or two of these upsets ... 5 seems like a lot, and particularly within the first two weeks. Does anyone have an idea of years that had more D-II wins over D-I opponents within a given season?
            Central State beat MVSU (SWAC) in week 1. MVSU plays Delta State this week and I would imagine that Delta State will be the favorite.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

              Central State beat MVSU (SWAC) in week 1. MVSU plays Delta State this week and I would imagine that Delta State will be the favorite.
              Massey has Delta as a 23.5 point favorite. Holy cow.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

              Comment


              • #8
                Also, off the top of my head I would think 2010 probably had more D2 over FCS wins. I know WSSU beat NC A&T and NCCU, Tusculum beat Western Carolina, LR beat Davidson, North Greenville beat Presbyterian, and Tuskegee beat Alabama State. I'm sure there had to be more.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                  Massey has Delta as a 23.5 point favorite. Holy cow.
                  That’s probably due in part to Delta being the home team, which is unusual.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                    This week is a double header of ranked D2 vs. ranked FCS with Ferris at Montana and West Florida at Florida A & M. This is shortest road trip (200 miles) in West Florida history and I’m curious to see how both top 10 D2 teams do against ranked FCS.
                    I think West Florida will pull the upset, even though Florida A&M was a good team last year and appears to be fairly good so far this year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Probably the most famous D2 over FCS win in recent times (at least IMO) was CSU-Pueblo beating Sam Houston State in 2014. CSU-Pueblo won the D2 national title that year, but SHSU themselves reached the FCS national semifinals that same season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                        There was even an NAIA over FCS upset this past weekend as Northwestern (IA) beat Drake. Honestly not a surprising outcome, but still worth mentioning.

                        SMSU will be playing Valpo in a few weeks, so there's another opportunity.
                        Charleston won @ Valparaiso back in 2019. https://www.valpoathletics.com/footb...n-on-saturday/
                        Western New Mexico Mustangs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by crixus View Post

                          Charleston won @ Valparaiso back in 2019. https://www.valpoathletics.com/footb...n-on-saturday/
                          I'm 50/50 on this one... maybe even leaning towards Valpo a bit. It's the only NSIC v. FCS matchup this year so there might be some extra eyes on it.

                          Actually, it's SMSU's first D1 game since UNI in 1999, and the first FCS opponent for any NSIC school since I started following D2.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
                            Probably the most famous D2 over FCS win in recent times (at least IMO) was CSU-Pueblo beating Sam Houston State in 2014. CSU-Pueblo won the D2 national title that year, but SHSU themselves reached the FCS national semifinals that same season.
                            In 2006, Chadron State beat Montana State 35-24 one week after the Bobcats had beaten Colorado in Boulder. MSU went on to the FCS playoffs and lost to eventual champ Appalachian State in the QFs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Virginia Union beat Hampton 36-17 in 2019 as well.

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X