Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Florida at Grand Valley 2024

The Argos lose 20 graduate and seniors at QB, RB, OL, WR, PK, DL, LB and DB most of whom started and/or were big contributors to team. What do the Lakers lose and keep for next year?

Argos are hoping Marcus Stokes stays and wins QB battle; he is outstanding passer who throws catchable ball and is extremely fast and elusive as runner. We might have a chance if he is starting QB and has enough games under his belt by September 28.

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
    The Argos lose 20 graduate and seniors at QB, RB, OL, WR, PK, DL, LB and DB most of whom started and/or were big contributors to team. What do the Lakers lose and keep for next year?

Argos are hoping Marcus Stokes stays and wins QB battle; he is outstanding passer who throws catchable ball and is extremely fast and elusive as runner. We might have a chance if he is starting QB and has enough games under his belt by September 28.
    Seniors this year for GV:

Starting QB (Conference POTY)
    Starting RB (All-American)
    Starting LG (All-American)
    Starting LT (All-Conference)
    Starting PK (All-Conference)
    Starting DE (All-American)
    Starting DE (All-Conference)
    Starting LB (All-American)
    Starting Safety
    Depth LB
    Depth DT

And we already know that the Sacks leader is transferring, who started at DE as well and was all-conference.

I'm guessing there's going to be quite a few others who will be attempting to transfer up, as well. And I'm also guessing there were quite a few listed juniors who already graduated due to the extra COVID year. Not sure who, though. The juniors were the entire WR group, the rest of the starting OL, and the rest of the starting defensive backs.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 12-20-2023, 08:19 PM.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Seniors this year for GV:

Starting QB (Conference POTY)
      Starting RB (All-American)
      Starting LG (All-American)
      Starting LT (All-Conference)
      Starting PK (All-Conference)
      Starting DE (All-American)
      Starting DE (All-Conference)
      Starting LB (All-American)
      Starting Safety
      Depth LB
      Depth DT

And we already know that the Sacks leader is transferring, who started at DE as well and was all-conference.

I'm guessing there's going to be quite a few others who will be attempting to transfer up, as well. And I'm also guessing there were quite a few listed juniors who already graduated due to the extra COVID year. Not sure who, though. The juniors were the entire WR group, the rest of the starting OL, and the rest of the starting defensive backs.

It looks like both teams will have to reload substantial numbers of starters on both sides of the ball. Maybe the Lakers can come down to Pensacola for spring break and scrimmage?

We have a nice beach here that attracts lots of out of town D2 tennis teams who use UWF courts for matches against the Argos and other out of town teams. Maybe the Lakers tennis teams can come too and save on travel expenses.
      Last edited by Argonut; 12-20-2023, 09:25 PM.

Comment

This is going to be a fantastic matchup. Bummed the series with Mines wasn't renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
          This is going to be a fantastic matchup. Bummed the series with Mines wasn't renewed.
          Agreed, would love another matchup with you guys. Was disappointed that we didn't get to have a rematch in the championship game. Always another year I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
            Maybe only a year or two hiatus? One never knows.

Comment

I was looking at Grand Valley football website and it shows first season was in early 1970’s. Is that true or a misprint? I thought they had been playing football for a lot longer than the 70’s.

Comment

I was looking at Grand Valley football website and it shows first season was in early 1970’s. Is that true or a misprint? I thought they had been playing football for a lot longer than the 70’s.
                Grand Valley State accepted their first students in 1963, so it's fairly new in the context of colleges. Their first varsity football season was 1971.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

As ctrabs said, 1971 was the first official season of varsity football, and they were NAIA for the first years. They started the program going 0-13 in 1971 and 1972!

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

As ctrabs said, 1971 was the first official season of varsity football, and they were NAIA for the first years. They started the program going 0-13 in 1971 and 1972!
                    Sorry, but you are wrong. Football started unofficially at Grand Valley in 1970 as a club sport with only 5 or 6 games. They played Ferris’s freshman, Ionia State Prison, Hope College to name 3. Their official entry into the NAIA was 71.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post

Sorry, but you are wrong. Football started unofficially at Grand Valley in 1970 as a club sport with only 5 or 6 games. They played Ferris’s freshman, Ionia State Prison, Hope College to name 3. Their official entry into the NAIA was 71.
                      So.....what about my post was wrong? I said the first year of *varsity* football was 1971. Club sport is not varsity. It is not counted in the records.

Comment

This will be a fun matchup.

Comment

Exciting match-up! Love seeing this game scheduled. We have a lot of work to do if we want to compete with them.
                          * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                          * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                          * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X