Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland

Ashland is in the process of holding town hall forums to consider a move to the GMAC. Sounds like fan base is split but administration is leaning our way.

Ever since the exodus I have maintained a belief that it was all but a matter of time before the Eagles joined us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ashland

I've been following this as well over on the GLIAC forum. The apprehension is obviously due to the football aspect. I don't think that anyone can deny that the GLIAC is a better conference for football overall. However if Ashland makes the jump, then someone like UIndy also comes over, I think that starts to move this conference forward in football. If Findlay and Hillsdale continues to improve, and if Tiffin can sustain their improvement, that should help the competition level of the conference. You combine Ashland, who has had some sustained success over the past five to eight years, with ODU, who has also had success since coming to D2, that's a pretty good conference. I do not mean any disrespect to the current conference members not mentioned, but at least this season, it's been tough for the majority of the conference. The difference between the GLIAC and GMAC will always be that the GLIAC's success as a whole, is strongly assisted by the strong presence of state universities. Ashland's football faithful may not like the idea, howver in the long run, I don't see this as a negative towards GMAC teams competing in post season play.

Comment

If Ashland and Indy do join - you can make the argument the G-MAC is a deeper conference than the GLIAC. After GVSU and Ferris, the other six teams haven't had much overall success in recent years. Wayne State is six years out from the title game appearance, Michigan Tech has been down the past two years, Saginaw and Northwood have been average....plus that leaves the GLIAC with only eight football schools.

Comment

It baffles me how it is only looked at through true eyes of football. Screw the other kids in other sports that have to travel mid week or late on a Thursday to make the trip to NMU or Tech or Lake Superior. That $$$$ ads up real quick

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
          It baffles me how it is only looked at through true eyes of football. Screw the other kids in other sports that have to travel mid week or late on a Thursday to make the trip to NMU or Tech or Lake Superior. That $$$$ ads up real quick
          And, the trips are getting longer. Now there are trips to Wisconsin (all sports) and Minnesota and Iowa (lacrosse). If the AD ever rides along on one of those trips, I'm sure he or she comes home with a whole new perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
            I think that there are a couple of reasons for that. At least here, you are going to find people that are only interested in football. The other reason is that football is typically the revenue generator at most universities. That may not hold true everywhere, particularly in D2, but if it's not the main generator, it is close to the top. I do agree though, that a majority of these decisions are looked at through the prism of football.

Comment

From what I understand there was some pretty passionate pleas from people associated with the athletic department in favor of staying in the GLIAC. There are some long time supporters who will go down swinging on this topic. I don't think it matters. I believe the administration has set its sights on the GMAC and that's what's going to happen.

The Ashland President is concerned about academics and sports teams traveling 12-13 hours by bus and missing extra days of classes is totally against his way of thinking. I'm with the others on this board, I'm hoping Ashland joining the GMAC drives Indy to leave the GLVC. Not only are both schools top 20 football programs, they both have excellent overall athletic programs which will help the stature of the GMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by eagler927 View Post
                From what I understand there was some pretty passionate pleas from people associated with the athletic department in favor of staying in the GLIAC. There are some long time supporters who will go down swinging on this topic. I don't think it matters. I believe the administration has set its sights on the GMAC and that's what's going to happen.

The Ashland President is concerned about academics and sports teams traveling 12-13 hours by bus and missing extra days of classes is totally against his way of thinking. I'm with the others on this board, I'm hoping Ashland joining the GMAC drives Indy to leave the GLVC. Not only are both schools top 20 football programs, they both have excellent overall athletic programs which will help the stature of the GMAC.
                In a way, it's unfortunate that Bellarmine hasn't exactly tipped their hands as to whether or not they're going forward with a football program, as has been rumored for the past couple of years. Because if the GMAC and pluck UIndy and Bellarmine from the GLVC, that could be a game-changer for the GMAC not only in football, but in other sports (read: men's basketball). Granted, I'm sure the smaller schools like Lake Erie might not be too thrilled with that idea - and I am NOT in any way suggesting that Bellarmine is leaving the GLVC for the GMAC, but we've seen crazier things happen...
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  In a way, it's unfortunate that Bellarmine hasn't exactly tipped their hands as to whether or not they're going forward with a football program, as has been rumored for the past couple of years. Because if the GMAC and pluck UIndy and Bellarmine from the GLVC, that could be a game-changer for the GMAC not only in football, but in other sports (read: men's basketball). Granted, I'm sure the smaller schools like Lake Erie might not be too thrilled with that idea - and I am NOT in any way suggesting that Bellarmine is leaving the GLVC for the GMAC, but we've seen crazier things happen...
                  A year or so ago, some of us were theorizing as to who would be the ideal schools to complete the G-MAC. Assuming that 16 schools with men's sports was the cut-off, you only have 3 spots left after Tiffin. Ashland/UIndy/BU was a popular answer. At the time, it felt like a swinging for the fences, very unlikely scenario. It still might be, but it's interesting to see posters from 2 of the 3 schools saying their schools might be at least considering it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                    A year or so ago, some of us were theorizing as to who would be the ideal schools to complete the G-MAC. Assuming that 16 schools with men's sports was the cut-off, you only have 3 spots left after Tiffin. Ashland/UIndy/BU was a popular answer. At the time, it felt like a swinging for the fences, very unlikely scenario. It still might be, but it's interesting to see posters from 2 of the 3 schools saying their schools might be at least considering it.
                    With the closing of St. Joseph's College in Indiana and rumors about the future of Quincy (the truth of those rumors are open to debate), if UIndy is going to make a move, this might end up being the time to do it. Again, not saying it will happen, but UIndy is running out of "local" rivals now that Wisconsin-Parkside is joining the GLIAC. I believe that UIndy and Bellarmine are the only GLVC members in the Eastern Time Zone. Who knows what's going to happen in a year or two at this rate.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The only thing that concerns me from a football standpoint, is silo scheduling. I hope that if the GMAC expands by three additional schools that have football programs, that the conference is split, maybe East and West Divisions. The GMAC should push to have OOC games against the GLIAC and PSAC.

Comment

Originally posted by ODUPantherFan View Post
                        If Ashland and Indy do join - you can make the argument the G-MAC is a deeper conference than the GLIAC. After GVSU and Ferris, the other six teams haven't had much overall success in recent years. Wayne State is six years out from the title game appearance, Michigan Tech has been down the past two years, Saginaw and Northwood have been average....plus that leaves the GLIAC with only eight football schools.
                        with alderson broadas, kentucky wesleyan, walsh, lake erie, and malone????? no

Comment

Ashland would be a huge boost in basketball. That would be a tough conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X