Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWC Football

Last edited by alumnifan; 05-07-2018, 06:13 AM.

Re: KWC Football

KWC and AB should take pride in the fact that these two programs laid the bare ground necessary for what is going to be a very good football conference. It may seem that I am being critical of the KWC football program, but that is really not the case at all. I am just being honest.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 05-07-2018, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I don't know how many football players are on scholarship, if any. Some players have to be on scholarship, I guess. However with the number of players on the team, many are not on an athletic scholarship. They could be getting other kinds of financial aid. KWC has always done a good job of getting kids financial aid right out of high school in order to bring them to Wesleyan as students if the college wanted them, regardless of whether they are athletes or not.

Comment

Does anyone know what KWC's schedule is? I'm surprised they haven't posted it as of June 5 (neither has Malone, for that matter).
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The 2018 schedule is on the KWC athletic website.

Coach Brent Holsclaw enters his 16th season as head coach at KWC. His combined record in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference is 2-7 with both wins coming over Malone. In 2014, Coach Holsclaw produced a season record of 7-4 with wins over Trinity Bible, Arizona Christian, Faith, Lindenwood Belleville, Limestone, Virginia Lynchburg and Ohio Midwestern. In the 2015 season, Coach Holsclaw went 5-6 with wins over the University of God's Chosen, Central State, Louisiana College, Alfred State, and UNC Pembroke.

The following is his record per season.

2003 - 1-9
          2004 - 4-7
          2005 - 3-7
          2006 - 0-11
          2007 - 3-8
          2008 - 4-6
          2009 - 2-9
          2010 - 5-6
          2011 - 1-10
          2012 - 2-9
          2013 - 0-11
          2014 - 7-4
          2015 - 5-6
          2016 - 3-8
          2017 - 2-8
          Last edited by alumnifan; 07-08-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
            The 2018 schedule is on the KWC athletic website.

Coach Brent Holsclaw enters his 16th season as head coach at KWC. His combined record in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference is 2-7 with both wins coming over Malone. In 2014, Coach Holsclaw produced a season record of 7-4 with wins over Trinity Bible, Arizona Christian, Faith, Lindenwood Belleville, Limestone, Virginia Lynchburg and Ohio Midwestern. In the 2015 season, Coach Holsclaw went 5-6 with wins over the University of God's Chosen, Central State, Louisiana College, Alfred State, and UNC Pembroke.

The following is his record per season.

2003 - 1-9
            2004 - 4-7
            2005 - 3-7
            2006 - 0-11
            2007 - 3-8
            2008 - 4-6
            2009 - 2-9
            2010 - 5-6
            2011 - 1-10
            2012 - 2-9
            2013 - 0-11
            2014 - 7-4
            2015 - 5-6
            2016 - 3-8
            2017 - 2-8
            He still has a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
              He still has a job.
              He is the only employee at KWC who is guaranteed a job for the rest of his life. Apparently, he knows where the bodies are buried.
              Last edited by alumnifan; 07-09-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

He is the only employee at KWC who is guaranteed a job for the rest of his life. Apparently, he knows where the bodies are buried.
                WOW.

Comment

Trinity Bible, Arizona Christian, Faith, Lindenwood Belleville, Limestone, Virginia Lynchburg and Ohio Midwestern. University of God's Chosen, Central State, Louisiana College, Alfred State, and UNC Pembroke.
                  How do these contest count?

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
                    How do these contest count?
                    Trinity Bible College (NCCAA), Arizona Christian (NAIA), Louisiana College (NCAA D3) are all considered as countable opponents by the NCAA. They don't count towards playoff eligibility but do count for statistical purposes.VU-Lynchburg is now a countable opponent because they joined the NCCAA. Faith, Ohio Midwestern and God's Chosen are not countable according to the NCAA.

Comment

Those seasons never mattered anyway. He knew they would never make the playoffs. I doubt they will ever make the playoffs while he's the head coach, and nobody other than the All American Club (boosters) really seems to care - IMO. I am not even sure where the boosters stand with the athletic program now. The sad part about the whole situation is the fact that KWC has a really nice D2 football facility. The field has beautiful new turf laid, state of the art. The boxes are nice. The visitor's section is equivalent to other small stadiums. They have a very adequate weight room. Maybe, Coach Holsclaw was the one that got all that done. I kind of doubt it, though. Anyway, if the college is going to be satisfied with the football program winning one or two games a year in the G-MAC, then that is their prerogative. I don't like the fact and I think the college can do better. Any football coach worth their weight in salt can recruit in a region where there is basically no small college football program in their immediate area other than their own. Southwest Kentucky produces state champions in programs like Mayfield, Paducah Tilghman and even Caldwell County. There are a lot of good high school programs with good players in southern Indiana, southern Illinois and western Kentucky.

Also, if you think his players are shining stars in their academic endeavors, you would be mistaken. I believe he produced four players that were named to the G-MAC all academic team. I am pretty sure that is a lower percentage, given the number of players on the squad, than any of the other athletic teams at the college.
                      Last edited by alumnifan; 07-12-2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Guess not.

Comment

Well, Coach Holsclaw has resigned. "We all wish him well" in his next career. "First and foremost" next up to take over the reigns of the KWC Panther football team is Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator, Taurean Smith. You really need some continuity between this season and next. Coach Smith has been on staff since the 2014 season. In the 2014 season his defense gave up 35 points per game on average. In the 2015 season his defense gave up 29 points per game on average. In the 2016 season his defense gave up 36 points per game on average, and in the 2017 season his defense gave up 48 points per game on average. I rounded those numbers off. So, basically his defense, on average, gave up around 36.5 points per game in the past four seasons. If anyone wants to dispute that statistic, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Overall, I think this is very good news for the athletic department in the long term. However, in the short term I wouldn't bet the farm on any game this upcoming season in favor of the Panthers. Last season was Taurean Smith' worst defensive season since he has been the Defensive Coordinator at KWC. Anytime your defense gives up 47.8 points per game, that's not good. However, I would say that last season was probably the toughest schedule the football team has had in awhile. This upcoming season they will play eight G-MAC teams plus Kentucky State and Quincy. So, who knows? Maybe, they will win some games this season or none. I hope they go undefeated and win the National Championship. However, that is not going to happen to say the least. The article on the KWC athletic website stated there will be a national search after the 2018 season. I'm sure there will be plenty of coaches who are associate head coaches and maybe even head coaches from other NCAA programs that will immediately show interest in some form or another.

The good news is the KWC football team will hopefully improve over the next few years. Any coach that is hired has his work cut out for him. Coach Holsclaw supposedly resigned and his duties will officially end on July 31st. The bad news is there could be defection in the ranks right off the bat this season. One promising note on that subject is Coach Smith has been responsible for much of the recruiting. I would say by the end of the season there will be a coaching short list, and sometime during the Spring semester a new head coach will be in the office at the WHRC. How many players will get the boot is anybody's guess. The new coach will have to put together a new staff and bring in all new recruits and assimilate current players into his system. And, the list is endless if he wants to be successful. God Bless America!
                          Last edited by alumnifan; 07-19-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Wow, effective July 31 and first game is September 1. Interim coach has his work cut out for him. Thanks for the "opportunity"?

Comment

On Saturday, September 27, KWC travels to Hillsdale. Last year's contest with the Chargers didn't end so well for KWC. Also on the agenda is ODU, Findlay and Tiffin. Those are four tough teams. Does anyone believe that the Panthers might be able to beat at least one of these teams? Hillsdale returns QB Chance Stewart, a 6-foot, 5-inch, 245-pound senior (originally a Big 10 recruit). Also returning is pre-season All-American wide-receiver Trey Brock, a 6-foot, 3-inch senior who has caught the eye of NFL scouts. Hillsdale just completed installing a brand new playing field and made some minor improvements to the stadium. One pre-season poll has Hillsdale at number 24 in the nation, primarily based upon the Chargers returning offensive power. I'd like to predict Hillsdale to be the 2018 GMAC champion, but to do that they'll have to beat ODU, Findlay and Tiffin, or at least two of those opponents. So what's the 2018 season going to be for KWC with a new head coach?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X