Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KWC Football

I assume the coaching staff are at these particular areas recruiting.

Kentucky Wesleyan Football
    ? @kwc_football
    45m45 minutes ago

Panthers on the Prowl...
    @CraigYeast - Indy & Northern KY
    @CoachYoung41 - Grayson & Edmonson Co.
    @CoachDSutton & @MatthewAmburge2 - SWKY
    @CoachMills56 - Shelby Co. & Oldham Co.
    @BrowningAlfonzo - Louisville
    @OLCoach_Ack - Southern IN

#PawsUp #TheWesleyanWay
    0 replies 3 retweets 9 likes
    Last edited by alumnifan; 01-23-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I know this sounds crazy, but when a previous coach was early on in his tenure I messaged him and told him KWC would one day win a D2 National Championship in football. He really didn't know what to say.

If we are allowed to dream here, my dream for the athletic department is to produce a Kentucky Wesleyan football team that scares the snot out of other G-MAC teams. You can laugh now, but Craig Yeast is not laughing. A poster previously noted that he thought Craig Yeast would stay three years, which maybe his contract - IDK. However, if he could produce a team within three years that could compete (I know) for a national championship (I said compete, not win), would he be enticed to extend his contract in order to try and win one. I mean if he wants to really get the type of coaching job that is going to make him money, he is going to need to win big. It is just a thought and a dream.

Comment

I would think the dream would first have a winning record against conference opponents.
        What is the best win in the last 10 years? LEC last year?

Comment

I don't know what their best win would be. I have been hoping for a new KWC football coach for a long time. This is Coach Yeast's first season.

I said "DREAM." Wesleyan will have a winning record against Conference opponents and it would not surprise me if it happens this season.
          Last edited by alumnifan; 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Lots of changes on the way at KWC.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
              My Battlers beat your Panthers today, 51-7. I expected a pretty close game. Great job AB.
              I bet your Battlers will not beat Kentucky Wesleyan this year, unless half of the players break their legs during the course of the season. The roster has been trimmed considerably. The days are over of bringing in as many football players as possible in order for the coach to keep his job. There are 45 players on the roster at present according to the KWC website (It is possible that number could be off a little), and there are no freshmen on the roster. One has to assume that Coach Craig Yeast is going to run the KWC program like a D2 football program should be run. There are also no exhibition games this year. That is good because that means Wesleyan does not need the payout, and the players won't take a beating in their first game. It also gives them a little more time to prepare. It is going to be interesting to see how KWC does this season. I think the attendance is going to be pretty dang good, and there will probably be some sell out games. I don't know how many season tickets have already been sold. I definitely believe the KWC team will be better next season, and could possibly compete for a conference championship in Craig Yeast's third season. That is my take. I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. However, Craig Yeast will definitely put fans in the stands. His name alone will increase attendance. We are probably going to see more kids at the games, possible some high school teams at the games, and more people from Owensboro at the games. I look for Wesleyan to win three to five games this season, and they will compete in every game they play. The coaching staff overall is much improved.

Comment

Kentucky Wesleyan is hosting a 7 on 7 Shootout with 17 high school teams from 5 States. I personally have never seen one, but it is suppose to be really popular in Texas. Here is a list of the High School Teams that will be competing at Steele Stadium on the KWC Campus on Saturday, July 20th. I think that is the date, and this came from a Twitter feed and there is no copy and paste.

Pool A: Louisville Male A, Woodford County, Fairfield, Ohio, Jeffersonville, Indiana
                Pool B: Evansville Harrison, Indiana, Bardstown, Louisville Waggoner, Louisville Male B
                Pool C: Owensboro Catholic A, Louisville Butler, Ohio County, and Roosevelt St. Louis, Missouri
                Pool D: John Hardin, Allen County Scottsville, Hopkins County Central, Owensboro Catholic B, Althoff Catholic, Illinois

With Kentucky Wesleyan having a new Football Coach, this is definitely something that a lot of college coaches would like to attend as well as high school coaches who want to scout. This is really good exposure for KWC as well. Remember KWC has a new turf field. This is a Coach Craig Yeast event, I like it. It sure does introduce a lot of young high school players to the college.

I don't know what the gate admission will be, but I am sure they will be selling tickets. This will also sell a lot of concessions since the date will be July 20th and the temperature on the Field will be around 100 degrees or higher. LOL! This will be a fun event. I am sure the players will be encouraged to drink a lot of fluids and there will be 17 High School buses parked somewhere, unless the Owensboro teams encourage their kids to be driven. But, my guess is they will bus all the teams. Man, this could draw a lot of people. I have no idea what the tickets will cost? Surely, there has to be a ticket for this event. I wonder if the high schools will get a small payout, maybe, maybe not. Who Knows?
                Last edited by alumnifan; 07-13-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                  I bet your Battlers will not beat Kentucky Wesleyan this year, unless half of the players break their legs during the course of the season. The roster has been trimmed considerably. The days are over of bringing in as many football players as possible in order for the coach to keep his job. There are 45 players on the roster at present according to the KWC website (It is possible that number could be off a little), and there are no freshmen on the roster. One has to assume that Coach Craig Yeast is going to run the KWC program like a D2 football program should be run. There are also no exhibition games this year. That is good because that means Wesleyan does not need the payout, and the players won't take a beating in their first game. It also gives them a little more time to prepare. It is going to be interesting to see how KWC does this season. I think the attendance is going to be pretty dang good, and there will probably be some sell out games. I don't know how many season tickets have already been sold. I definitely believe the KWC team will be better next season, and could possibly compete for a conference championship in Craig Yeast's third season. That is my take. I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. However, Craig Yeast will definitely put fans in the stands. His name alone will increase attendance. We are probably going to see more kids at the games, possible some high school teams at the games, and more people from Owensboro at the games. I look for Wesleyan to win three to five games this season, and they will compete in every game they play. The coaching staff overall is much improved.
                  Alumnifan,

I am trying to understand what you mean regarding the 2019 roster. If you add the 29 incoming players from the Feb recruiting class, you roughly come up with the same amount of players listed on the 2018 Football Roster. If you are referring to another angle could you please explain it?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                    Alumnifan,

I am trying to understand what you mean regarding the 2019 roster. If you add the 29 incoming players from the Feb recruiting class, you roughly come up with the same amount of players listed on the 2018 Football Roster. If you are referring to another angle could you please explain it?
                    That is correct, but what I really was referring to was the roster for 2017 and other rosters that had between 80 and 90 players. KWC had an interim coach last season. I should have been clearer. If you look at the 2017 roster, you will see how many players were stacked on those teams coached by the former player that stayed at the helm for a long time. His last team won two games against Livingstone College and Malone in 2017. That team had over 80 players on the roster as did most of his rosters. He always brought in a ton of non scholarship players, that was his M O. And, in IMO, how he kept his job as long as he did.

BTW, I am not knocking the Interim Coach for last season. He did a good job considering what he had to do. Coach Smith is a good man, I am sure. Look at the 2016 roster. The 2017 roster had a few less players, but I think the coach then sort of knew what was coming down the pipe line.
                    Last edited by alumnifan; 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                      Let's hope that everything goes great for him. I think they found a WINNER.
                      In all honesty I'm puzzled about the enthusiasm for Coach Yeast. Nice career at UK, 3rd team AA and a 4th round draft pick by the Bengals. 2 years in the NFL and 5 in the CFL. 1 year HS HC, 4 years WR coach at Tiffin, 4 years HS HC leading to KWC. He seems a hard worker and good leader, but which part of that resume leads anyone to believe that an immediate turnaround is coming. Beyond recruiting does he have any experience in distributing scholarships, maintaining academic standing or dealing with alum pressure if things don't turn out as planned. If he had any experience as a college HC or even an OC, this enthusiasm might be warranted, but as it stands KWC seems to have settled for a coach who may or may not have much to offer beyond a good presentation. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        In all honesty I'm puzzled about the enthusiasm for Coach Yeast. Nice career at UK, 3rd team AA and a 4th round draft pick by the Bengals. 2 years in the NFL and 5 in the CFL. 1 year HS HC, 4 years WR coach at Tiffin, 4 years HS HC leading to KWC. He seems a hard worker and good leader, but which part of that resume leads anyone to believe that an immediate turnaround is coming. Beyond recruiting does he have any experience in distributing scholarships, maintaining academic standing or dealing with alum pressure if things don't turn out as planned. If he had any experience as a college HC or even an OC, this enthusiasm might be warranted, but as it stands KWC seems to have settled for a coach who may or may not have much to offer beyond a good presentation. Time will tell.
                        In all honesty, I think you are FOS! Craig Yeast was a brilliant player in the SEC for the University of Kentucky. That alone is going to put thousands of people in the stands over the course of his tenure. He is a FOOTBALL PROFESSIONAL! He has been around the best coaches in the SEC, and the NFL. Give me a break! Craig Yeast will have to have some time in order for him to scope out the competition, but in terms of recruiting good players, my gosh what kid would not want to play for him? He can get the best D2 players in Kentucky - For Sure. On top of that he is just a great guy and a professional. He carries himself as a pro. He is articulate and nothing you say even really makes sense. Are you jealous? That is what it sounds like to me. I think he will become and outstanding Head College Coach. I hope he stays at Wesleyan and becomes a LEGEND like Roy Kidd did at EKU. He is young. He has all the charisma a coach needs, and on top of all of that he is a really nice man. Women will love him. Mothers will love him and Owensboro him. Heck, I love him already. Do you realize what kind of situation Kentucky Wesleyan Football has been in - in the past. NO Sir! Craig Yeast is going to win and he is going to be an ambassador for D2 Football not just for the G-MAC, but for the entire Midwest and portions of the Southeast. I am not expecting a sudden miracle, but you are going to see some quality D2 football in Owensboro. His second season at Wesleyan will prove that. His first season will see his players giving everything they have got for him. He is someone young men can respect.

The answer to all your questions: He will have a coaching staff devoted to him and his players will be devoted to him. AND, the alumni are going to be devoted to him. He is going to bring in all kinds of spectators and visitors to Steele Stadium. Every kid in Owensboro who loves football will want to be around him. There is no down side to Coach Craig Yeast. The kids in Owensboro will love him and kids all over Kentucky will love him. He is the best coaching hire at KWC, in terms of personality and just being a plain good person, since Wayne Chapman.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                          In all honesty, I think you are FOS! Craig Yeast was a brilliant player in the SEC for the University of Kentucky. That alone is going to put thousands of people in the stands over the course of his tenure. He is a FOOTBALL PROFESSIONAL! He has been around the best coaches in the SEC, and the NFL. Give me a break! Craig Yeast will have to have some time in order for him to scope out the competition, but in terms of recruiting good players, my gosh what kid would not want to play for him? He can get the best D2 players in Kentucky - For Sure. On top of that he is just a great guy and a professional. He carries himself as a pro. He is articulate and nothing you say even really makes sense. Are you jealous? That is what it sounds like to me. I think he will become and outstanding Head College Coach. I hope he stays at Wesleyan and becomes a LEGEND like Roy Kidd did at EKU. He is young. He has all the charisma a coach needs, and on top of all of that he is a really nice man. Women will love him. Mothers will love him and Owensboro him. Heck, I love him already. Do you realize what kind of situation Kentucky Wesleyan Football has been in - in the past. NO Sir! Craig Yeast is going to win and he is going to be an ambassador for D2 Football not just for the G-MAC, but for the entire Midwest and portions of the Southeast. I am not expecting a sudden miracle, but you are going to see some quality D2 football in Owensboro. His second season at Wesleyan will prove that. His first season will see his players giving everything they have got for him. He is someone young men can respect.

The answer to all your questions: He will have a coaching staff devoted to him and his players will be devoted to him. AND, the alumni are going to be devoted to him. He is going to bring in all kinds of spectators and visitors to Steele Stadium. Every kid in Owensboro who loves football will want to be around him. There is no down side to Coach Craig Yeast. The kids in Owensboro will love him and kids all over Kentucky will love him. He is the best coaching hire at KWC, in terms of personality and just being a plain good person, since Wayne Chapman.
                          Such language from a grad of KWC ! Rev, Taylor will be turning in his grave. Believe what you wish. But please take a pill.

Comment

Couple of points:

1. A DII HC with no HC track record is not going to put thousands of fans in the stands...Only winning will do that.
                            2. What kids would not want to play for him? I would say many. Again, if he starts winning, he will probably find more willing recruits but not initially.
                            3. KSU new HC's resume is packed with NFL experience which will probably be equally considered by HS players from Kentucky. Lots of things real and perceived go into the decision process of a HS player...Seems to me that the KWU vs KSU DII "recruiting battle" will probably be a wash.

Seems like Yeast is a big step up from what KWC has had and that is a plus. He has a background that hints at potential success as a DII HC and if fulfilled, he will be a great hire for KWC. But he's not the DII version of Nick Saben. What he is is a new DII HC with a good resume taking over a program that has been bad for a number of years. If he wins consistently enough, over an extended period and wins several NC's, he will be worthy of your anointment as an "ambassador for D2 Football for the entire Midwest and portions of the Southeast." Till then he's just another rookie DII HC with a somewhat impressive resume and no HC experience.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              3. KSU new HC's resume is packed with NFL experience which will probably be equally considered by HS players from Kentucky.
                              ?????
                              NFL--35 games with BENGALS and JETS, mostly KR and PR, 27 catchs for 321 yds as receiver in 2 years.
                              CFL--4 years with TIGER-CATS 158 catchs for 2706 yds and 13 TD
                              I have absolutely nothing against this man, but a slightly wider search may have located a long term AC/OC who had a proven track record looking for an opportunity. All time great WILDCAT receiver but as we know that is not THE ball game in Lexington. Good luck to the PANTHERS.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                                ?????
                                NFL--35 games with BENGALS and JETS, mostly KR and PR, 27 catchs for 321 yds as receiver in 2 years.
                                CFL--4 years with TIGER-CATS 158 catchs for 2706 yds and 13 TD
                                I have absolutely nothing against this man, but a slightly wider search may have located a long term AC/OC who had a proven track record looking for an opportunity. All time great WILDCAT receiver but as we know that is not THE ball game in Lexington. Good luck to the PANTHERS.
                                I was talking about the new HC at KSU. He has NFL coaching experience with the Falcons, Green Bay, Denver and St Louis plus D1 coaching experience with UCLA, Buffalo, Utah State and Air Force.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X