Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the MEC was formed, private charter members of the WVIAC were cast to the side. I am not interested in going down that road again because I know exactly how it will turn out.....the West Liberty Way...which is exactly what you are suggesting. I don't speak for other league members. But I don't think some of the G-MAC schools want to listen to the West Liberty Way. I think a lot are very satisfied with Commissioner Daeger and his way.

I am going to repeat.....no one suggested this four years ago. Every one was a big fan of the MEC and what they were doing. So you should be happy with their course now. Right?

The G-MAC has 13 schools. How many more does it need to survive as a conference? Why is there a need to merge when you have shown in the past four years an ability to expand, expand and expand? I actually believe the G-MAC could add one or two more privates if it wants and when it wants. It actually may before the end of the month of June.

Your first sentence is telling. I seem to think you want to assist state school athletic programs that are in leagues that aren't looking that hot right now. I honestly feel that is your perspective. As I said, I didn't hear this talk 4 years ago. Welp, it is what it is. Isn't that the way the MEC was designed? Hey, we were told that you gotta add UVA-Wise, a public school, to your league. How has that ordeal turned out? UVA-Wise has hopped to their 4th conference in 8 years. But they were this big necessity for the WVIAC. It looks like when the MEC was formed that a lot of the old private WVIAC schools were there to be cast off to the side. But now, according to you, "trust the process of merging with those guys; they will help your league members". I am sorry but maybe you need to clarify your point of view better. I am not trying to be insulting when I say that.

Comment

I can't see how NDC won't be joining the GMAC relatively soon. The only question in my mind is, will AB & MEC put differences aside for finances and geographic sense.

UIndy should be taking a good look at GMAC now, KWU should consider the Morehead State route and play down (NAIA Bluegrass) for football, LEC is suspect for long term sustainability.

Final 2019 CPU rankings of my predicted conference out of 167 D2 schools

1) Ashland-30
      2) UIndy-19
      3) Hillsdale-77 (had 2019 weird schedule results, normally in the 30-40 range)
      4) Findlay-42
      5) Tiffin-35
      6) ODU-18
      7) NDC-13
      8) Walsh-126

7 extremely solid programs, and Walsh who plays at the best facility in all of D2...

Should for their own benefit find other schools to play:
      KyWes-150
      LEC-122

Should be in MEC: AB-151

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
        Your first sentence is telling. I seem to think you want to assist state school athletic programs that are in leagues that aren't looking that hot right now.
        Most people who attended public universities don't think in public/private terms.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
          I can't see how NDC won't be joining the GMAC relatively soon. The only question in my mind is, will AB & MEC put differences aside for finances and geographic sense.

UIndy should be taking a good look at GMAC now, KWU should consider the Morehead State route and play down (NAIA Bluegrass) for football, LEC is suspect for long term sustainability.

Final 2019 CPU rankings of my predicted conference out of 167 D2 schools

1) Ashland-30
          2) UIndy-19
          3) Hillsdale-77 (had 2019 weird schedule results, normally in the 30-40 range)
          4) Findlay-42
          5) Tiffin-35
          6) ODU-18
          7) NDC-13
          8) Walsh-126

7 extremely solid programs, and Walsh who plays at the best facility in all of D2...

Should for their own benefit find other schools to play:
          KyWes-150
          LEC-122

Should be in MEC: AB-151
          Indianapolis should stay right where they are...
          Hillsdale should move back to the GLIAC...
          NDC should move to the GMAC...

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Hillsdale should move back to the GLIAC...
            NDC should move to the GMAC...
            Hillsdale should stay right where they are.
            NDC should move to the GMAC.
            I no longer care what Indianapolis does.

Comment

Ferris State hasn't exactly been chopped liver either. But, outside of Grand Valley, Ferris and Ashland, the GLIAC is slowly turning pretty spare. I wonder where that leaves UIndy as far as their status in the GLVC is concerned. Could they be the next to make a move, either to the GMAC or possibly send all sports to the GLIAC? Because with Bellarmine moving (or at least still planning to move) to D1 and the recent closing of St Joseph College in Western Indiana a few years ago, that pretty much leaves Southern Indiana and, to a lesser extent, Lewis as their remaining travel partners in basketball, etc., and really without a scheduling partner for football, if you want to look at it that way (UIndy, IINM, is the only GLVC school in the Eastern Time Zone; the rest of the league is on Central Time in Illinois and Missouri).
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by CousinRoy View Post
                Who's next Northwood? Indy? Notre Dame?

Who leaves? Ohio Valley? AB? Trevecca?
                Trevecca would seem like the logical candidate to leave the G-MAC, but the only options for the Nashville based school would seem to be either the SAC (too far west from Carson-Newman, Tusculum, etc.) or the GSC (Tennessee based non-football schools in the league including Lee, Union and Christian Brothers, but I have my doubts that the GSC is even interested).

Notre Dame seems like the logical next member of the GMAC expansion, though weren't they one of the charter members of the league before they bolted for the MEC along with Urbana (or am I misremembering)?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  Why...big picture view that doesn't bode well for private colleges and even remote possibilities would suggest considering all options. The GMAC has done a great job in it's growth but this situation is unique in American collegiate history. For many years the PSAC was exclusively PASSHE schools but when they needed to expand for stability, the first four on board were private schools. There really isn't any relationship other than sports in what seems to be a successful partnership. You are correct it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked into.
                  Just because a merger between the GMAC and MEC should happen (at least according to some posters upthread), that doesn't mean either side wants it to happen, nor does it mean that it needs to happen.

The GMAC deserves a lot of credit for building a high quality all-sports conference capped off by the addition of Ashland. I wouldn't be shocked if that ends up being enough for NDC to also make the move into the GMAC within the next year or two, since they're essentially an outpost on Lake Erie compared to the rest of the MEC's footprint in West Virginia/Western Maryland now that the MEC's other Ohio school, Urbana, is permanently closed.

Even with all that said, MEC football rode the Shepherd coattails until they left for the PSAC (a move I never thought would've happened, but the dumpster fire that was Cheyney athletics kinda made that move a necessity for both sides). MEC football then latched on to the success in Cleveland with NDC, and now it wouldn't surprise me if that's gone in a few years, if not sooner.

If/when NDC leaves, who does that leave for the MEC in football? Fairmont? Frostburg? UNC Pembroke? Basketball shouldn't be as badly effected, unless West Liberty and Fairmont decide to shock the world and push their way into the PSAC or something equally ridiculous (and, yes, I'm being sarcastic here).

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Just because a merger between the GMAC and MEC should happen (at least according to some posters upthread), that doesn't mean either side wants it to happen, nor does it mean that it needs to happen.

The GMAC deserves a lot of credit for building a high quality all-sports conference capped off by the addition of Ashland. I wouldn't be shocked if that ends up being enough for NDC to also make the move into the GMAC within the next year or two, since they're essentially an outpost on Lake Erie compared to the rest of the MEC's footprint in West Virginia/Western Maryland now that the MEC's other Ohio school, Urbana, is permanently closed.

Even with all that said, MEC football rode the Shepherd coattails until they left for the PSAC (a move I never thought would've happened, but the dumpster fire that was Cheyney athletics kinda made that move a necessity for both sides). MEC football then latched on to the success in Cleveland with NDC, and now it wouldn't surprise me if that's gone in a few years, if not sooner.

If/when NDC leaves, who does that leave for the MEC in football? Fairmont? Frostburg? UNC Pembroke? Basketball shouldn't be as badly effected, unless West Liberty and Fairmont decide to shock the world and push their way into the PSAC or something equally ridiculous (and, yes, I'm being sarcastic here).
                    I can understand why the GMAC would be cool to the idea. They are thriving. But in '12 the GLIAC had 16 FB members and they will begin '21 with 8. The security a 12-16 team league is you can survive members closing, dropping the sport or moving up or down, without being forced to come up with bizarre solutions, think NE10. If this were to happen I would expect GMAC to ask for unconditional surrender or no deal. They are in the best bargaining position given the exodus, past and future, in the MEC. I don't think the PSAC could realistically take on new members unless someone (SHU) were to leave. As you say it's not going to happen.....yet.

Comment

Sad to be leaving the GLIAC as my 4 years of ball consisted of regular trips to the Rapids and Upper P. Competition was great and those games were always extremely hard hitting games. Excited though for what the future holds in the GMAC. It just makes too much sense to make the move especially with this more severe version of the flu wreaking havoc on everything. Also excited to renew the rivalries with Findlay, Tiffin, Hillsdale and ODU. Hopefully my Eagles can go out on top in their final GLIAC season!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I don't follow non-football and understand that there are other sports to consider, but I feel geographically and competition wise, GMAC make more sense.
                        With St Joe and Bellarmine gone, that was the two closest schools. Could you expand slightly on why (I value this as I would consider you an "expert" on D2 matters)

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I can understand why the GMAC would be cool to the idea. They are thriving. But in '12 the GLIAC had 16 FB members and they will begin '21 with 8. The security a 12-16 team league is you can survive members closing, dropping the sport or moving up or down, without being forced to come up with bizarre solutions, think NE10. If this were to happen I would expect GMAC to ask for unconditional surrender or no deal. They are in the best bargaining position given the exodus, past and future, in the MEC. I don't think the PSAC could realistically take on new members unless someone (SHU) were to leave. As you say it's not going to happen.....yet.
                          But schools like Hillsdale, Findlay, ODU, Lake Erie, Walsh, Malone just left a large conference where they were with a lot of large, public Michigan schools. Why would they now want to merge with a conference in another neighboring state where that conference is run by a life-long public person in Reid Amos, formed by a life-long public employee in the former West Lib president Robin Capehart and the initial committee that selected conference members was made up of only two guys.....the current commissioner (a loyal and dedicated public employee to that West Lib president) and the athletic director at the time at Shepherd....both public school guys? The MEC schools aren't going to go for any thing from a leadership perspective that the G-MAC has. And the G-MAC schools just aren't going to do things the way the MEC does. You have to realize when the MEC was first formed, the president of the University of Charleston (a private school) led an effort to preserve the WVIAC. Schools that were with him were WV Wesleyan, Wheeling Jesuit, AB, D&E, Ohio Valley and WV State. He just didn't have enough football schools at the time and there was fear that they would not have enough football schools at the time. But that might tell you something there. There was an article in the Charleston Daily Mail WV at the time. I could probably research and find that.
                          Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-22-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Whether it be the WVIAC or the MEC, basketball is where those members had the most success. Yes, football has had some moments here and there, but basketball is where most of the success has always been. You have so many small schools in WV. It is easier to field a championship caliber team with 8 to 10 quality guys than trying to find 44 for football.

Comment

Notre Dame seems like the logical next member of the GMAC expansion, though weren't they one of the charter members of the league before they bolted for the MEC along with Urbana (or am I misremembering)?
                              I am just wondering out loud. But I wonder if the commissioner of the G-MAC and some of the member schools from the first few years of the G-MAC aren't interested in offering Notre Dame. Some guys don't like to look in the rear-view mirror. Maybe Daeger felt Notre Dame bolted on the conference and he doesn't want to offer membership to a school that didn't trust the process the first time. I am not faulting Notre Dame for leaving. The grass certainly looked greener at the time in the MEC. But some guys feel they got spurred and don't want to go back there. Maybe some of the schools like Trevecca, AB and KWC feel they don't need another trip up to Cleveland especially a school that left when times were bleak. Those schools may not be so willing to vote for a school to come in when times are good. I don't know. Just wondering.

It isn't a knock on NDC. They have an excellent school and an excellent athletic program. Maybe they like where they are at and are willing to pay the extra expenses. I find that part hard to believe in this day and age of private school economics. But to each his own. I just don't know if they have been offered membership. Time will tell.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X