Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLIAC Fan
    replied
    Ashland does not officially join GMAC until July 1. They could schedule some non conference games against GMAC this spring but right now they are under the GLIAC rules of playing winter and spring sports.

Leave a comment:

• D2Ohio
    replied
    I am surprised that Ashland is not play this spring "non-conference" against the GMAC schools since the Gliac has no schedule for the spring

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    NOVEMBER FOOLS!!!

Leave a comment:

• D2Ohio
    replied
    Maybe this will be the conference (football) in 2022-2023?

1) Ashland
    2) UIndy
    3) Hillsdale
    4) Northwood
    5) Findlay
    6) Tiffin
    7) ODU
    8) NDC
    9) Walsh
    10) LEC

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

According to Massey Ratings.

1. Gulf South
    2. MIAA
    3. GLIAC
    4. Lone Star
    5. SAC
    6. GLVC
    7. RMAC
    8. NSIC
    9. GMAC
    10. PSAC
    11. GNAC
    12. GAC
    13. MEC
    14. SIAC
    15. CIAA
    16. NE10

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    This is great news for SR1. Ashland is a strong program joining a strong conference that is now clearly the PSAC's main competition for region superiority, even more so if/when NDC makes their way. Looking forward to the great battles to come.

Leave a comment:

• D2Ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

I did chart this for KWC:

Campbellsville 2 hrs 6 min 133 miles
    Lindsey Wilson 2 hrs 9 min 142 miles
    Cumberland 2 hrs 14 min 132 miles
    Georgetown 2 hrs 47 min 184 miles
    Thomas More 3 hrs 204 miles
    Univ Cumberlands 3 hrs 51 min 230 miles
    Shawnee 4 hrs 42 min 300 miles
    Pikeville 4 hrs 58 min 330 miles

I realize KWC has a rich tradition in men's basketball in the NCAA D2 ranks. But I wonder if they would ever consider a move to the Mid-South and NAIA which is a very good conference. There are other NAIA schools throughout KY too. Midway, Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Berea, Asbury, etc...come to my mind off the top of my head especially those for OOC olympic sports. I am not advocating it. I am just wondering if they look at that. Or is there a D2 conference in the south that shortens travel?

When Cumberland and Georgetown were denied D2 admission, it really hurt KWC and TNU hard.
    I think that KWC should be at the very least non-football for the GMAC, call themselves independent and play that NAIA schedule plus Kentucky State for football

Leave a comment:

• Inkblot
    replied
    KWC still fits better geographically in the GLVC than in the GMAC.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied
    KWC has it real bad too for travel.

Trevecca Nazarene 2 hours 134 miles
    Cedarville 4 hrs 13 min 273 miles
    Ohio Dominican 4 hrs 43 min 321 miles
    Findlay 5 hrs 22 min 368 miles
    Ashland 5 hrs 48 min 398 miles
    Tiffin 5 hrs 57 min 393 miles
    Hillsdale 6 hrs 12 min 420 miles
    Ohio Valley 6 hrs 17 min 400 miles
    Malone 6 hrs 38 min 458 miles
    Walsh 6 hrs 41 min 455 miles
    Ursuline 6 hrs 43 min 464 miles
    Lake Erie 7 hrs 4 min 486 miles
    ABU 7 hrs 6 min 489 miles

I did chart this for KWC:

Campbellsville 2 hrs 6 min 133 miles
    Lindsey Wilson 2 hrs 9 min 142 miles
    Cumberland 2 hrs 14 min 132 miles
    Georgetown 2 hrs 47 min 184 miles
    Thomas More 3 hrs 204 miles
    Univ Cumberlands 3 hrs 51 min 230 miles
    Shawnee 4 hrs 42 min 300 miles
    Pikeville 4 hrs 58 min 330 miles

I realize KWC has a rich tradition in men's basketball in the NCAA D2 ranks. But I wonder if they would ever consider a move to the Mid-South and NAIA which is a very good conference. There are other NAIA schools throughout KY too. Midway, Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Berea, Asbury, etc...come to my mind off the top of my head especially those for OOC olympic sports. I am not advocating it. I am just wondering if they look at that. Or is there a D2 conference in the south that shortens travel?

When Cumberland and Georgetown were denied D2 admission, it really hurt KWC and TNU hard.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oilerftbll
    replied
    It was only a matter of time, it just came faster than a lot of us thought. Welcome Ashland, it will be nice to carry on the rivalry.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    NDC in the G-MAC

Ursuline 9 minutes; 4 miles
    Lake Erie 31 minutes; 26 miles
    Walsh 51 minutes; 52 miles
    Malone 54 minutes; 54 miles
    Ashland 1 hr 10 min; 72 miles
    ODU 2 hr 16 min; 147 miles
    Findlay 2 hr 25 min; 154 miles
    Ohio Valley 2 hr 39 min; 172 miles
    Cedarville 3 hr 3 min; 202 miles
    Hillsdale 3 hr 4 min; 197 miles
    KWC 6 hr 50 min; 464 miles
    Trevecca 7 hr 44 min; 529 miles

Not horrible. But when you look at scheduling, there are a lot more overnight stays. Like baseball in the MEC plays Saturday-Sunday games. You play UC on Saturday and State on Sunday. That is overnight but not missed class time. But pretty much all conference games in baseball are overnight under that format so they are dishing out some money for food and lodging. They play Glenville one day and Concord the next day....that is no easy road trip on the roads, and quite a bit of mileage.
    ADD: Tiffin 1 hr 54 min; 106 miles

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied
    I did a mileage chart for NDC. They aren't all that bad in the MEC when you look at it. But the way the MEC does their scheduling, they still pretty much have to do a lot of hotel stays. For instance, when they go on the road in basketball to play WV Wesleyan/Glenville State. They play at Wesleyan on a Thursday night and turn around and play Glenville on a Friday afternoon starting at 2PM. There is no way they leave Buckhannon at around 9:30 on a Thursday night, drive 4 hours back to Cleveland, go to class on Friday and turn around Saturday morning and return to Glenville another 4 hours. At least I would not think.

NDC in the G-MAC

Ursuline 9 minutes; 4 miles
    Lake Erie 31 minutes; 26 miles
    Walsh 51 minutes; 52 miles
    Malone 54 minutes; 54 miles
    Ashland 1 hr 10 min; 72 miles
    Tiffin 1 hr 54 min; 107 miles
    ODU 2 hr 16 min; 147 miles
    Findlay 2 hr 25 min; 154 miles
    Ohio Valley 2 hr 39 min; 172 miles
    Cedarville 3 hr 3 min; 202 miles
    Hillsdale 3 hr 4 min; 197 miles
    KWC 6 hr 50 min; 464 miles
    Trevecca 7 hr 44 min; 529 miles

NDC in the MEC

West Liberty 2 hr 31 min; 144 miles
    Wheeling 2 hr 33 min; 149 miles
    Fairmont 3 hr 17 min; 211 miles
    Frostburg St 3 hr 33 min; 222 miles
    Charleston 3 hr 43 min; 250 miles
    WV State 3 hr 48 min; 255 miles
    Glenville State 4 hours; 229 miles
    WV Wesleyan 4 hr 3 min; 260 miles
    Davis & Elkins 4 hr 21 min; 283 miles
    Concord 5 hr 6 min; 338 miles

Not horrible. But when you look at scheduling, there are a lot more overnight stays. Like baseball in the MEC plays Saturday-Sunday games. You play UC on Saturday and State on Sunday. That is overnight but not missed class time. But pretty much all conference games in baseball are overnight under that format so they are dishing out some money for food and lodging. They play Glenville one day and Concord the next day....that is no easy road trip on the roads, and quite a bit of mileage.
    Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

No

Take a look at the mileage chart. Likely if NDC goes to the G-MAC, then AB likely goes to the MEC. I made a mileage chart which shows the trip differences for ABU:

MEC

West Virginia Wesleyan 40 minutes 23 miles
    Davis & Elkins 39 minutes 27 miles
    Fairmont State 52 minutes 32 miles
    Glenville State 1 hour 20 min 71 miles
    Frostburg State 1 hr 49 min 101 miles
    Wheeling Jesuit 2 hr 3 min 116 miles
    Charleston 2 hr 10 min 140 miles
    West Liberty 2 hr 12 min 113 miles
    WV State 2 hr 13 min 145 miles
    Concord 2 hr 58 min 184 miles

G-MAC

Ohio Valley 1 hr 58 min 104 miles
    Malone 3 hr 20 min 214 miles
    Walsh 3 hr 28 min 219 miles
    Ohio Dominican 3 hr 38 min 210 miles
    Ursuline 3 hr 47 min 233 miles
    Lake Erie 4 hr 7 min 231 miles
    Ashland 4 hr 8 min 245 miles
    Cedarville 4 hr 19 min 250 miles
    Findlay 5 hr 9 min 306 miles
    Hillsdale 6 hr 25 min 409 miles
    KWC 7 hr 9 min 487 miles
    Trevecca Nazarene 7 hr 48 min 525 miles

Every trip in the MEC is a same-day trip. No hotel stays. Less gas. Less wear-and-tear on vehicles. Less missed class time. Less meals to feed. More money could be spent on scholarships so that we can get back to being competitive like we were when the WVIAC dissolved. ABU is spending a ton of money right now on sports for travel, food and lodging.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied
    Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Of course the MEC would have to stop being mad and invite AB.
    I don't find the "MEC" as the issue. I argue that it is the leadership of the conference, namely Reid Amos of West Liberty, that tends to hold this. I think you have to move beyond MEC message board posters to get the real feel. I will add the admin at ABU that was around at the time of the demise of the WVIAC and formation of the MEC is gone. Rick Creehan was president and his brother Denny Creehan was named AD and head football coach by his brother. We now have a WV girl in Carrie Bodkins who is an AB alum and was a well-respected head coach in the old WVIAC. Our former AD J.D. Long is her assistant and for a fact was well respected in the old WVIAC. Our current president is older and not brash like Creehan was. We made mistakes at ABU. But Wheeling made the same votes.

ABU has played every single MEC in multiple sports in home-and-home games....all but West Liberty. Our athletic site is not a closed book. It is there to verify. If they held such a grudge, then why schedule us. We play Glenville in football for an annual trophy....that started well after the WVIAC dissolved. In men's basketball, I know we have played every MEC school, even Shepherd, in men's basketball over the years except West Liberty. We do pretty much the same in a lot of sports.

I do believe things will change. D&E being admitted makes me believe that. But today the governor of WV says the will have a $500 million revenue shortage. That is a lot of coin for the state of WV. I don't think a lot of the state schools are going to want to take a conference trip to central NC. I don't think the dollars signs are there. Privates are certainly in the same boat. I saw an article where WV Wesleyan recently cut 37 positions. Times are changing. Many of these presidents and ADs can override Mr. Amos' voice pretty quick at this point.
    Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-22-2020, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X