Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by BlueBlood; 05-22-2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

What I'm thinking is that the MEC, whether they believe it or not, is being slowly picked apart AS A FB LEAGUE. With the PSAC and GMAC as it's two closest competitors, why would a FB school remain in a league that will possibly be overlooked like the NE10 when the time comes for post season decisions. Last season's bracket had 1 MEC team, NDC, now generally regarded as most likely to move to the GMAC next. If that happens which team seems most likely to break through SRU, IUP, KUTZ, WCU, SHEP, SHIP, CAL, TIFFIN, ODU, FINDLAY and now ASHLAND ? IMO, both the NE10 and MEC are reaching the end of the football line unless something radical happens or they give up all aspirations to be competitive regionally. FROSTBURG was a nice pickup but the PSAC could lose UPJ and add FSU at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

Maybe some of the schools like Trevecca, AB and KWC feel they don't need another trip up to Cleveland especially a school that left when times were bleak. Those schools may not be so willing to vote for a school to come in when times are good. I don't know. Just wondering.
        Just my opinion. I can for see the power of the conference with the good traditional football schools: Hillsdale, Findlay, Ashland. I don't think the south should want to block NDC if those schools would allow them in.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

Just my opinion. I can for see the power of the conference with the good traditional football schools: Hillsdale, Findlay, Ashland. I don't think the south should want to block NDC if those schools would allow them in.
          Agreed the the tail, AB, KWU and TNU, should not be allowed to wag the GMAC dog. Make the league as much all Ohio as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            What I'm thinking is that the MEC, whether they believe it or not, is being slowly picked apart AS A FB LEAGUE. With the PSAC and GMAC as it's two closest competitors, why would a FB school remain in a league that will possibly be overlooked like the NE10 when the time comes for post season decisions. Last season's bracket had 1 MEC team, NDC, now generally regarded as most likely to move to the GMAC next. If that happens which team seems most likely to break through SRU, IUP, KUTZ, WCU, SHEP, SHIP, CAL, TIFFIN, ODU, FINDLAY and now ASHLAND ? IMO, both the NE10 and MEC are reaching the end of the football line unless something radical happens or they give up all aspirations to be competitive regionally. FROSTBURG was a nice pickup but the PSAC could lose UPJ and add FSU at any time.
            It's a mistake to look at it as how many teams per conference get picked. If you put the best 10 teams in a conference, only two or three would make it at most. That would still leave seven of the best teams in the country out of the playoffs.

There is no doubt that a huge influence on the decisions of some schools to join or form new leagues is to make postseason access easier. Frostburg State's route to the postseason is easier in the MEC than it would be if they joined the PSAC. Ashland's path is now easier as a member of the GMAC.

In your scenario, Frostburg's chances to break through would be easier than the rest.

It's a flaw of the system, which doesn't find what are truly the best teams in the region.

Comment

No

Take a look at the mileage chart. Likely if NDC goes to the G-MAC, then AB likely goes to the MEC. I made a mileage chart which shows the trip differences for ABU:

MEC

West Virginia Wesleyan 40 minutes 23 miles
              Davis & Elkins 39 minutes 27 miles
              Fairmont State 52 minutes 32 miles
              Glenville State 1 hour 20 min 71 miles
              Frostburg State 1 hr 49 min 101 miles
              Wheeling Jesuit 2 hr 3 min 116 miles
              Charleston 2 hr 10 min 140 miles
              West Liberty 2 hr 12 min 113 miles
              WV State 2 hr 13 min 145 miles
              Concord 2 hr 58 min 184 miles

G-MAC

Ohio Valley 1 hr 58 min 104 miles
              Malone 3 hr 20 min 214 miles
              Walsh 3 hr 28 min 219 miles
              Ohio Dominican 3 hr 38 min 210 miles
              Ursuline 3 hr 47 min 233 miles
              Lake Erie 4 hr 7 min 231 miles
              Ashland 4 hr 8 min 245 miles
              Cedarville 4 hr 19 min 250 miles
              Tiffin 5 hr 17 min; 306 miles
              Findlay 5 hr 9 min 306 miles
              Hillsdale 6 hr 25 min 409 miles
              KWC 7 hr 9 min 487 miles
              Trevecca Nazarene 7 hr 48 min 525 miles

Every trip in the MEC is a same-day trip. No hotel stays. Less gas. Less wear-and-tear on vehicles. Less missed class time. Less meals to feed. More money could be spent on scholarships so that we can get back to being competitive like we were when the WVIAC dissolved. ABU is spending a ton of money right now on sports for travel, food and lodging.
              Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Of course the MEC would have to stop being mad and invite AB.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's a mistake to look at it as how many teams per conference get picked. If you put the best 10 teams in a conference, only two or three would make it at most. That would still leave seven of the best teams in the country out of the playoffs.

There is no doubt that a huge influence on the decisions of some schools to join or form new leagues is to make postseason access easier. Frostburg State's route to the postseason is easier in the MEC than it would be if they joined the PSAC. Ashland's path is now easier as a member of the GMAC.

In your scenario, Frostburg's chances to break through would be easier than the rest.

It's a flaw of the system, which doesn't find what are truly the best teams in the region.
                  All I'm really thinking is that if things go against the MEC (NDC leaves, UNCP comes and goes, WHEELING closes) they are looking at a NE10 scenario where they MUST start playing home and away games to make a schedule. If they were in a North/South league with the GMAC including a league championship game ala PSAC, they wouldn't have to worry about scheduling as much. If playing in an easy to win league was the sole criteria, the SHEPHERD RAMS would still be riding the back roads of WV instead of the Interstate in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                    Of course the MEC would have to stop being mad and invite AB.
                    I don't find the "MEC" as the issue. I argue that it is the leadership of the conference, namely Reid Amos of West Liberty, that tends to hold this. I think you have to move beyond MEC message board posters to get the real feel. I will add the admin at ABU that was around at the time of the demise of the WVIAC and formation of the MEC is gone. Rick Creehan was president and his brother Denny Creehan was named AD and head football coach by his brother. We now have a WV girl in Carrie Bodkins who is an AB alum and was a well-respected head coach in the old WVIAC. Our former AD J.D. Long is her assistant and for a fact was well respected in the old WVIAC. Our current president is older and not brash like Creehan was. We made mistakes at ABU. But Wheeling made the same votes.

ABU has played every single MEC in multiple sports in home-and-home games....all but West Liberty. Our athletic site is not a closed book. It is there to verify. If they held such a grudge, then why schedule us. We play Glenville in football for an annual trophy....that started well after the WVIAC dissolved. In men's basketball, I know we have played every MEC school, even Shepherd, in men's basketball over the years except West Liberty. We do pretty much the same in a lot of sports.

I do believe things will change. D&E being admitted makes me believe that. But today the governor of WV says the will have a $500 million revenue shortage. That is a lot of coin for the state of WV. I don't think a lot of the state schools are going to want to take a conference trip to central NC. I don't think the dollars signs are there. Privates are certainly in the same boat. I saw an article where WV Wesleyan recently cut 37 positions. Times are changing. Many of these presidents and ADs can override Mr. Amos' voice pretty quick at this point.
                    Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-22-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

No

Take a look at the mileage chart. Likely if NDC goes to the G-MAC, then AB likely goes to the MEC. I made a mileage chart which shows the trip differences for ABU:

MEC

West Virginia Wesleyan 40 minutes 23 miles
                      Davis & Elkins 39 minutes 27 miles
                      Fairmont State 52 minutes 32 miles
                      Glenville State 1 hour 20 min 71 miles
                      Frostburg State 1 hr 49 min 101 miles
                      Wheeling Jesuit 2 hr 3 min 116 miles
                      Charleston 2 hr 10 min 140 miles
                      West Liberty 2 hr 12 min 113 miles
                      WV State 2 hr 13 min 145 miles
                      Concord 2 hr 58 min 184 miles

G-MAC

Ohio Valley 1 hr 58 min 104 miles
                      Malone 3 hr 20 min 214 miles
                      Walsh 3 hr 28 min 219 miles
                      Ohio Dominican 3 hr 38 min 210 miles
                      Ursuline 3 hr 47 min 233 miles
                      Lake Erie 4 hr 7 min 231 miles
                      Ashland 4 hr 8 min 245 miles
                      Cedarville 4 hr 19 min 250 miles
                      Findlay 5 hr 9 min 306 miles
                      Hillsdale 6 hr 25 min 409 miles
                      KWC 7 hr 9 min 487 miles
                      Trevecca Nazarene 7 hr 48 min 525 miles

Every trip in the MEC is a same-day trip. No hotel stays. Less gas. Less wear-and-tear on vehicles. Less missed class time. Less meals to feed. More money could be spent on scholarships so that we can get back to being competitive like we were when the WVIAC dissolved. ABU is spending a ton of money right now on sports for travel, food and lodging.

Comment

I did a mileage chart for NDC. They aren't all that bad in the MEC when you look at it. But the way the MEC does their scheduling, they still pretty much have to do a lot of hotel stays. For instance, when they go on the road in basketball to play WV Wesleyan/Glenville State. They play at Wesleyan on a Thursday night and turn around and play Glenville on a Friday afternoon starting at 2PM. There is no way they leave Buckhannon at around 9:30 on a Thursday night, drive 4 hours back to Cleveland, go to class on Friday and turn around Saturday morning and return to Glenville another 4 hours. At least I would not think.

NDC in the G-MAC

Ursuline 9 minutes; 4 miles
                        Lake Erie 31 minutes; 26 miles
                        Walsh 51 minutes; 52 miles
                        Malone 54 minutes; 54 miles
                        Ashland 1 hr 10 min; 72 miles
                        Tiffin 1 hr 54 min; 107 miles
                        ODU 2 hr 16 min; 147 miles
                        Findlay 2 hr 25 min; 154 miles
                        Ohio Valley 2 hr 39 min; 172 miles
                        Cedarville 3 hr 3 min; 202 miles
                        Hillsdale 3 hr 4 min; 197 miles
                        KWC 6 hr 50 min; 464 miles
                        Trevecca 7 hr 44 min; 529 miles

NDC in the MEC

West Liberty 2 hr 31 min; 144 miles
                        Wheeling 2 hr 33 min; 149 miles
                        Fairmont 3 hr 17 min; 211 miles
                        Frostburg St 3 hr 33 min; 222 miles
                        Charleston 3 hr 43 min; 250 miles
                        WV State 3 hr 48 min; 255 miles
                        Glenville State 4 hours; 229 miles
                        WV Wesleyan 4 hr 3 min; 260 miles
                        Davis & Elkins 4 hr 21 min; 283 miles
                        Concord 5 hr 6 min; 338 miles

Not horrible. But when you look at scheduling, there are a lot more overnight stays. Like baseball in the MEC plays Saturday-Sunday games. You play UC on Saturday and State on Sunday. That is overnight but not missed class time. But pretty much all conference games in baseball are overnight under that format so they are dishing out some money for food and lodging. They play Glenville one day and Concord the next day....that is no easy road trip on the roads, and quite a bit of mileage.
                        Last edited by JDonAB92; 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

NDC in the G-MAC

Ursuline 9 minutes; 4 miles
                          Lake Erie 31 minutes; 26 miles
                          Walsh 51 minutes; 52 miles
                          Malone 54 minutes; 54 miles
                          Ashland 1 hr 10 min; 72 miles
                          ODU 2 hr 16 min; 147 miles
                          Findlay 2 hr 25 min; 154 miles
                          Ohio Valley 2 hr 39 min; 172 miles
                          Cedarville 3 hr 3 min; 202 miles
                          Hillsdale 3 hr 4 min; 197 miles
                          KWC 6 hr 50 min; 464 miles
                          Trevecca 7 hr 44 min; 529 miles

Not horrible. But when you look at scheduling, there are a lot more overnight stays. Like baseball in the MEC plays Saturday-Sunday games. You play UC on Saturday and State on Sunday. That is overnight but not missed class time. But pretty much all conference games in baseball are overnight under that format so they are dishing out some money for food and lodging. They play Glenville one day and Concord the next day....that is no easy road trip on the roads, and quite a bit of mileage.
                          ADD: Tiffin 1 hr 54 min; 106 miles
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

It was only a matter of time, it just came faster than a lot of us thought. Welcome Ashland, it will be nice to carry on the rivalry.

Comment

Comment

KWC has it real bad too for travel.

Trevecca Nazarene 2 hours 134 miles
                                Cedarville 4 hrs 13 min 273 miles
                                Ohio Dominican 4 hrs 43 min 321 miles
                                Findlay 5 hrs 22 min 368 miles
                                Ashland 5 hrs 48 min 398 miles
                                Tiffin 5 hrs 57 min 393 miles
                                Hillsdale 6 hrs 12 min 420 miles
                                Ohio Valley 6 hrs 17 min 400 miles
                                Malone 6 hrs 38 min 458 miles
                                Walsh 6 hrs 41 min 455 miles
                                Ursuline 6 hrs 43 min 464 miles
                                Lake Erie 7 hrs 4 min 486 miles
                                ABU 7 hrs 6 min 489 miles

I did chart this for KWC:

Campbellsville 2 hrs 6 min 133 miles
                                Lindsey Wilson 2 hrs 9 min 142 miles
                                Cumberland 2 hrs 14 min 132 miles
                                Georgetown 2 hrs 47 min 184 miles
                                Thomas More 3 hrs 204 miles
                                Univ Cumberlands 3 hrs 51 min 230 miles
                                Shawnee 4 hrs 42 min 300 miles
                                Pikeville 4 hrs 58 min 330 miles

I realize KWC has a rich tradition in men's basketball in the NCAA D2 ranks. But I wonder if they would ever consider a move to the Mid-South and NAIA which is a very good conference. There are other NAIA schools throughout KY too. Midway, Alice Lloyd, Brescia, Berea, Asbury, etc...come to my mind off the top of my head especially those for OOC olympic sports. I am not advocating it. I am just wondering if they look at that. Or is there a D2 conference in the south that shortens travel?

When Cumberland and Georgetown were denied D2 admission, it really hurt KWC and TNU hard.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X