Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Thank you for the link. I'm surprised the OP didn't add it. Here's a sports news video clip about it. https://twitter.com/i/status/1269479001170628608
    Last edited by crixus; 06-09-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

This is nice to hear, whatever was in the past can be history and the common sense for geography and footprint helps all.
        I think a new administration in Philippi might have played a role in the easing of tensions between AB and the other MEC schools, especially West Liberty.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

GNAC, the conference where they play each other twice each season in football. They're barely hanging on. I hope Humboldt State brings back football, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
          Even if Humboldt sees the light and restores their football program, they'd still have to play the double round-robin schedule and would still be hanging on by a thread. I could eventually see the GNAC dropping sponsorship of football with Central Washington, Simon Fraser and Western Oregon merging into the RMAC while Azusa gets an associate membership offer with the LSC (mind you this is a prediction, not based on any knowledge of what's going on in D2).

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Even if Humboldt sees the light and restores their football program, they'd still have to play the double round-robin schedule and would still be hanging on by a thread. I could eventually see the GNAC dropping sponsorship of football with Central Washington, Simon Fraser and Western Oregon merging into the RMAC while Azusa gets an associate membership offer with the LSC (mind you this is a prediction, not based on any knowledge of what's going on in D2).
            Azusa Pacific could drop down to D3 and join the SCIAC which consists of 9 teams in SoCal. They'd save a lot of money on travel costs that way. I'm not predicting they will, just throwing out the option in these financially trying times thanks to Covid 19 related problems. BTW, the virus is on the rise again here in California and several other states. Ugh...

https://www.thesciac.org/sports/fball/index

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Azusa Pacific could drop down to D3 and join the SCIAC which consists of 9 teams in SoCal. They'd save a lot of money on travel costs that way. I'm not predicting they will, just throwing out the option in these financially trying times thanks to Covid 19 related problems. BTW, the virus is on the rise again here in California and several other states. Ugh...

https://www.thesciac.org/sports/fball/index
              Personally, I don't think Azusa would drop down to D3 simply to accommodate convenience for football. They're in the PacWest conference for all other sports. Granted, that does involve travel to Hawaii for some non-revenue sports, but they do have rivals within SoCal in basketball, soccer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Personally, I don't think Azusa would drop down to D3 simply to accommodate convenience for football. They're in the PacWest conference for all other sports. Granted, that does involve travel to Hawaii for some non-revenue sports, but they do have rivals within SoCal in basketball, soccer, etc.
                Either way, we agree that GNAC football is hurting. I went to another Cal State U school (San Jose State) and losing Humboldt State football was like a roundhouse kick to the head to the entire Cal State athletics system. We've lost a lot of football programs in the past like Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Fullerton, Chico State, San Francisco State, Sonoma State, etc. None of them have come back, and sadly I doubt Humboldt State will either. :(
                Last edited by crixus; 06-18-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I watched the AB press conference.

A) First of all, the view of the mountains from that room is beautiful.
                  B) Lots of focus on finally "being home" The word "home" was mentioned several times by each speaker.
                  C) Lots of talk about the joy of playing close and familiar rivals again.
                  D) Very nice thank you to G-MAC for giving them a home when they needed it.
                  E) 600+ of 800 full time AB students are student athletes.
                  F) Discussion on saving money and time away from class due to shorter distances to conference foes.
                  G) AB says it will now focus on local recruiting more. President sees a need and desire to identify with Appalachia.
                  H) AB and MEC commish kept it 100% classy - no references to past beefs or slights.

Fare thee well AB. Again, very happy for you guys.

Comment

Oh, one other thing - both parties again emphasized that AB contacted the MEC and that it was AB's request to compete in the MEC right away. Both parties have been emphasizing this at every chance. Its been somewhat awkwardly over-emphasized so much that I'm guessing it must be very important to some contractual detail.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                      Oh, one other thing - both parties again emphasized that AB contacted the MEC and that it was AB's request to compete in the MEC right away. Both parties have been emphasizing this at every chance. Its been somewhat awkwardly over-emphasized so much that I'm guessing it must be very important to some contractual detail.
                      Not surprised. MEC doesn't recruit teams from other conferences. They respond to inquiries and let it be known that they might be looking for another member, but they don't cold call schools from other conferences and try and get them to jump.

MEC generally feels it is better to have good relations with the other conferences in it's region.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Not surprised. MEC doesn't recruit teams from other conferences. They respond to inquiries and let it be known that they might be looking for another member, but they don't cold call schools from other conferences and try and get them to jump.

MEC generally feels it is better to have good relations with the other conferences in it's region.
                        Considering the region of the country the MEC occupies and the conferences around them, that's like being in a fight with both hands tied behind your back.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Considering the region of the country the MEC occupies and the conferences around them, that's like being in a fight with both hands tied behind your back.
                          Yet, the MEC survives and thrives.

Comment

Yet, the MEC survives and thrives.
                            Knock wood.....

Comment

MEC doesn't recruit teams from other conferences. They respond to inquiries and let it be known that they might be looking for another member, but they don't cold call schools from other conferences and try and get them to jump.

Comment

What DII school did they cold call to and make an actual offer to? Back when the conf first started, NDC and Urbana contacted the MEC and basically said what do you have to offer us. Wise did the same with the WVIAC and the membership process continued after the MEC was formed. Clearly now AB contacted the MEC for membership. Only question is was D&E contacted by the MEC first or did the MEC contact them. Going to go out on a sturdy limb here and say that D&E contacted the MEC.

What do we have as far as other conferences actively wooing MEC schools? According to several of the NDC and GMAC faithful on this board, in the early days of the GMAC they contacted NDC and Urbana and made standing offers for them to jump to the GMAC. According to PSAC posters, they had been actively wooing Shepherd for 15 years (according to a source I have who was at Shepherd, he said that this didn't happen). According to people I have talked to, only the SAC "did it right" by contacting the MEC before hand and telling them that they were going to contact Wise.

I have actually suggested that the MEC fight fire with fire and start targeting and actively wooing current members of other conferences, but it doesn't seem like that is in the MEC's DNA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X