Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Why would the MEC not think about expanding to 16? In the past the MEC has refrained from trying to poach members from other conferences while the conferences around them have felt free to poach at will. GMAC has attempted to woo both NDU and Urbana, the SAC has wooed Wise and now the PSAC has blatantly gone after our best football team. Could you blame the MEC for turning the tables and actively recruiting teams from these conferences?
    To be fair, Urbana came from the GMAC and NDC was aligned with those schools previously. Both were wooed by the WV schools to join them in creating the MEC.

My understanding is that NDC has contacted the GMAC regarding possible membership. I'm not sure about Urbana.

Comment

Why would the MEC not think about expanding to 16? In the past the MEC has refrained from trying to poach members from other conferences while the conferences around them have felt free to poach at will. GMAC has attempted to woo both NDU and Urbana, the SAC has wooed Wise and now the PSAC has blatantly gone after our best football team. Could you blame the MEC for turning the tables and actively recruiting teams from these conferences?

You want Seton Hill back?

Comment

Why should they? This is a team that is going to the MEC's primary rival in SR1. Why should they express their gratitude to Shepherd. Shepherd better hope that the PSAC doesn't do to them what the PSAC did to Post. PSAC was happy to have out of state Post as an associate member when they needed them to replace Mansfield but when Seton Hill came calling, the PSAC jettisoned Post without a backwards glance. But unlike Post, I don't see the MEC welcoming Shepherd back with open arms.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
          Now that Shepherd has made their move, I mentioned before about a possible merger between MEC/GMAC which makes perfect sense minus KWU who will more than likely move to D3 or NAIA.
          I think you will see some schools moving between the MEC and GMAC, but a merger is not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
            Yes. The MEC clearly jumped the gun and caught Shepherd and the PSAC off guard
            It was a dick move for sure. Now, I have no idea what went on behind closed doors to lead to that dick move.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
              I think you will see some schools moving between the MEC and GMAC, but a merger is not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                That would probably be the worst possible course to take. It leaves the PSAC and NE-10 free to divide the SR1 spoils while the MEC and GMAC tear each other apart. More stability, not less, would be a better track.
                Then the PSAC should probably quit poaching on our member schools to fill spots for your numerous failed institutions.

Comment

Then the PSAC should probably quit poaching on our member schools to fill spots for your numerous failed institutions.
                  You're right they should.... you're wrong if you think they will. Bullys will bully.

Comment

Originally posted by cneagle99 View Post
                    Wonder if this will cause Frostburg to get cold feet.
                    I would think Frostburg would pretty much "sprint" to the MEC after the leaving of Shepherd. Can someone tell me why it could give them cold feet?

Comment

The cards now lie in Tom Daeger's hands. He has 9 football members in his conference. He has built a solid conference but wants to continue to strengthen the conference by adding some members. Ashland was invited and turned the invitation down. But in declining, they issued a statement in which they said it wasn't the right time now but will be evaluated down the road. So, the G-MAC isn't stopping.

Will he offer a membership to Notre Dame? He could actually lay down the dagger and invite Notre Dame, WV Wesleyan and Urbana. He is a class individual and I don't think he would do that. But considering the MEC had no problem "poaching" the G-MAC when he was trying to get the G-MAC started, I wouldn't blame him. Personally, WV Wesleyan fits the G-MAC profile very well and it would begin to allow the G-MAC to use Pod scheduling in Olympic sports and basketball while still adding a football playing member that is in close proximity to A-B, D&E and Ohio Valley. I just don't see him doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                        I would think Frostburg would pretty much "sprint" to the MEC after the leaving of Shepherd. Can someone tell me why it could give them cold feet?
                        You might be just a bit wary to join a conference that has lost two members including their top FB school. My guess is they'll wait and see how this all plays out. Unless MEC sweetens the offer though I can't see how they could.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCoach View Post
                            Now that Shepherd has made their move, I mentioned before about a possible merger between MEC/GMAC which makes perfect sense minus KWU who will more than likely move to D3 or NAIA.
                            Makes sense? To who? The MEC schools which now need schools that are actually D2? If those G-MAC schools wanted that, then they would have certainly joined the MEC after leaving the GLIAC. I can't see the G-MAC schools in Ohio and Michigan going for this at all. I remind those that Findlay just went on the road this past season and knocked off the MEC's football darling Shepherd.

I can't see Hillsdale, Findlay, Tiffin and Ohio Dominican wanting to follow along the Robin Capehart gameplan and taking orders from Reid Amos. Sorry. We are talking about private, conservative schools that seem to have athletic departments that flourish. These schools seem to have bought into what Tom Daeger offered and like the progress the G-MAC is obtaining.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                              The cards now lie in Tom Daeger's hands. He has 9 football members in his conference. He has built a solid conference but wants to continue to strengthen the conference by adding some members. Ashland was invited and turned the invitation down. But in declining, they issued a statement in which they said it wasn't the right time now but will be evaluated down the road. So, the G-MAC isn't stopping.

Will he offer a membership to Notre Dame? He could actually lay down the dagger and invite Notre Dame, WV Wesleyan and Urbana. He is a class individual and I don't think he would do that. But considering the MEC had no problem "poaching" the G-MAC when he was trying to get the G-MAC started, I wouldn't blame him. Personally, WV Wesleyan fits the G-MAC profile very well and it would begin to allow the G-MAC to use Pod scheduling in Olympic sports and basketball while still adding a football playing member that is in close proximity to A-B, D&E and Ohio Valley. I just don't see him doing it.
                              My understanding is that NDC has recently inquired. I expect movement. Time will tell.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X