Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At last it's over!

So your still onboard with keeping the current coaching staff? Sounded like a few posts ago you were starting to flip and thought a change might be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
      So your still onboard with keeping the current coaching staff? Sounded like a few posts ago you were starting to flip and thought a change might be good.

Comment

It's not uncommon for some assistant coaches to hold over when a new coach is brought it but it is also common for the new coach to make a clean sweep. Assuming that Kellar is the new HC at WLU, I'd think as a minimum he keeps Brian Hill who was with him at LR. Other coaches may stay but much would depend on how they meshed with Kellar and Kellar's assessment of how they performed in their particular roles. I think the latter is problematic for almost every one on the current staff.

But who are we kidding...I haven't seen or heard any indication that the current HC is going anywhere any time soon. Us fans and alumni may want it and it may be in the best interest of the program for him to leave, but I don't get the feeling he really cares much about that and is going to stay until he want's to leave.

Any predictions on the win total for next season? I've going to go with THREE.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          It's not uncommon for some assistant coaches to hold over when a new coach is brought it but it is also common for the new coach to make a clean sweep. Assuming that Kellar is the new HC at WLU, I'd think as a minimum he keeps Brian Hill who was with him at LR. Other coaches may stay but much would depend on how they meshed with Kellar and Kellar's assessment of how they performed in their particular roles. I think the latter is problematic for almost every one on the current staff.

But who are we kidding...I haven't seen or heard any indication that the current HC is going anywhere any time soon. Us fans and alumni may want it and it may be in the best interest of the program for him to leave, but I don't get the feeling he really cares much about that and is going to stay until he want's to leave.

Any predictions on the win total for next season? I've going to go with THREE.
          Roger is the AD right? Maybe he just leaves the football program and keeps the AD role? That'd be easy enough, probably wouldn't effect his comp at all too bad either.

Comment

Kellar had a very successful run at California. L-R was a debacle but he's certainly HC material.

DON'T BE SHOCKED IF HE'S THE NEW COACH AT SETON HILL.

Just sayin'

Comment

Well it's certainly appears that WL is the only coaching job in the country that that you can win 30% of your games and still sleep good at night knowing that nothing will happen. For next years prediction, Boat I think you are right on......three.

Comment

If WL wants Kellar as the HC ... best act fast.

He's a head coach and a good one. He's wasting his talents being on a staff -- and won't do it much longer.

He is an ideal fit at Seton Hill. I'd be SHOCKED if he isn't a finalist there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                  Roger is the AD right? Maybe he just leaves the football program and keeps the AD role? That'd be easy enough, probably wouldn't effect his comp at all too bad either.
                  He was the "Acting Co-AD" with Ullum after the previous AD retired. Ullum was selected as the permanent AD about a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    If WL wants Kellar as the HC ... best act fast.

He's a head coach and a good one. He's wasting his talents being on a staff -- and won't do it much longer.

He is an ideal fit at Seton Hill. I'd be SHOCKED if he isn't a finalist there.
                    He has outstanding credentials as a successful HC. Even his two years at LR, while not successful from a W/L standpoint, were not considered bad. He was brought in to change LR from it's previous style to one that was more modern and up tempo. That would be a tall order even with the support of the vocal alumni base...he did NOT have the support of the alumni who were hostilely opposed to changing LR's offensive style.

The rumor on Kellar when he was brought in was that he was to serve as the OC for one year and Waillae would be retiring after the 2018 season. If that doesn't happen, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kellar leaves.

WLU has a chance to get a HC who is FAR better than what a team who has not had a winning season in four years and only two winning seasons in the last eight would typically get. But in true WLU fashion, they will blow it and let Kellar walk. It's just amazing that a school that does so much right when it comes to basketball and even other sports, CONSTANTLY makes the wrong decisions when it comes to football!!!

Comment

I think it comes down to everyone else is just out working WLU in all phases of running a football program. If it were not the case, they would be more competitive and in contention to win the MEC on a yearly basis. Your system should fit your players skill set not players adapting to your scheme, it's just not working.

Comment

https://twitter.com/coach_kellar/sta...641058816?s=21

Comment

I count 28 offers from the Toppers between Nov 1 and yesterday. That is a DRAMATIC departure from how they have recruited in the past (typically only see four or five players proclaiming their offer from WLU at this point in the recruiting cycle). No telling how many of those 21 will ultimately sign with the Toppers as a number of them have multiple offers. Coaches mentioned most prominently by the players in descending order...Kellar, Hill, Hopkins and Monty.

In addition to the four coaches above, looks like Coach McGhee and GA Coach Wells are making some tentative steps into social media recruiting!

Funny how things can change when you bring in coaches from outside who have "new and different" ideas!

Some other "news" from the Hilltop...The dome is almost finished and the weight room is getting a floor to ceiling rebuild.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 12-07-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Comment

I agree...social media in recruting is not the end all. But it is an absolutely indispensible part of the modern process. Do it well and you are at least in the running to sign your most highly prized recruits...dont do it and you are going to lose 9 times out of 10.

WLU is late to the social media recruting game but at least we now appear to be trying!

We also appear to be making offers earlier in the process. Years past most of our offers seemed to be after NSD. Seems to be another change in how WLU is going about recruting.

But at the end of the day, recruting is about player evaluation. If they do that well AND employ more moder recruting methods, we may bring in a high quality class this year.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                I count 28 offers from the Toppers between Nov 1 and yesterday. That is a DRAMATIC departure from how they have recruited in the past (typically only see four or five players proclaiming their offer from WLU at this point in the recruiting cycle). No telling how many of those 21 will ultimately sign with the Toppers as a number of them have multiple offers. Coaches mentioned most prominently by the players in descending order...Kellar, Hill, Hopkins and Monty.

In addition to the four coaches above, looks like Coach McGhee and GA Coach Wells are making some tentative steps into social media recruiting!

Funny how things can change when you bring in coaches from outside who have "new and different" ideas!

Some other "news" from the Hilltop...The dome is almost finished and the weight room is getting a floor to ceiling rebuild.
                                Last edited by HeavenontheHill; 12-11-2018, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X