Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. So most of the sports that some have alledged were cut to start football are being brought back?

Doing some rough math, adding these sports back will add about 100 new students to the WU undergrad roles. Given WU's financial situation, I would presume that all (most?) of these will be non-scholly so will be paying full tuition (minus federal and state provided aid).

My understanding was that wrestling will return next year and I would assume a companion womens sport would also be added which would result in another 75 or so students being added.

That would put them in the 550-600 student range.

Seems like we are seeing the outlining of WU's recovery plan.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 09-04-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Perhaps they had already crossed the rubicon on football and would take a hit on 100 students (out of 375?) who are playing the sport. MEC had a rule about playing football to be in the conference. I see your point of giving the appearance of stability (as long as parents/students don't google WJU and see all of the conditions on their accreditation, which is only until May 2020 and reflect serious concerns about their long-term viability).
      The addition of D&E makes me question if football is still a requirement for membership. For the life of me I can't understand how D&E brings anything to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Interesting. So most of the sports that some have alledged were cut to start football are being brought back?

Doing some rough math, adding these sports back will add about 100 new students to the WU undergrad roles. Given WU's financial situation, I would presume that all (most?) of these will be non-scholly so will be paying full tuition (minus federal and state provided aid).

My understanding was that wrestling will return next year and I would assume a companion womens sport would also be added which would result in another 75 or so students being added.

That would put them in the 550-600 student range.

Seems like we are seeing the outlining of WU's recovery plan.
        the open issue is how many students will enroll and be paying full tuition. In the past heavy discounts were the the rule. But no $ remain to continue practice. $2m gift from diocese kept wu from closing this fall according to HEPC. Have to wait and see.

Comment

The addition of D&E makes me question if football is still a requirement for membership. For the life of me I can't understand how D&E brings anything to the table.
          Yep that was strange. Hybrid decision of D&E for basketball and unc pembroke for football. I could see football being optional but those members who have the sport might grumble that it puts them at a financial disadvantage.

Comment

the open issue is how many students will enroll and be paying full tuition. In the past heavy discounts were the the rule. But no $ remain to continue practice. $2m gift from diocese kept wu from closing this fall according to HEPC. Have to wait and see.
            Answer for this year seems to be 375 undergrads willing to pay the full tuition (minus federal and state aid, academic and athletic schollys).

WU will need to show not just increased enrolement for next year (and beyond) but improvements in their bottom line. If (and that is a big if) they can do that, I would think the HEPC would continue to accredit them. I mean, look at how forgiving they were, and still are, with AB!

I think moving forward WU will need to start adding back some additional academic majors. While athletics can serve as a base for enrolement, long term success will depend on them having viable majors that new students want.

While the WU "situation" only became public over the last year or so, it was a problem born and contributed to over a LONG period of time. It's going to take a LONG time for them to disg themselves out with many opportunities to fail. They aren't going to be "fixed" this year...or next...or the year after that.

Comment

Answer for this year seems to be 375 undergrads willing to pay the full tuition (minus federal and state aid, academic and athletic schollys).

WU will need to show not just increased enrolement for next year (and beyond) but improvements in their bottom line. If (and that is a big if) they can do that, I would think the HEPC would continue to accredit them. I mean, look at how forgiving they were, and still are, with AB!

I think moving forward WU will need to start adding back some additional academic majors. While athletics can serve as a base for enrolement, long term success will depend on them having viable majors that new students want.

While the WU "situation" only became public over the last year or so, it was a problem born and contributed to over a LONG period of time. It's going to take a LONG time for them to disg themselves out with many opportunities to fail. They aren't going to be "fixed" this year...or next...or the year after that.
              Good points Boat. Btw AB was bailed out by $27m loan from dept of agriculture in dec 2018. Sounds like pork barrel pressure to me.
              https://www.wvnews.com/theet/news/ph...6c4bed14d.html

Comment

Good points Boat. Btw AB was bailed out by $27m loan from dept of agriculture in dec 2018. Sounds like pork barrel pressure to me.
                https://www.wvnews.com/theet/news/ph...6c4bed14d.html
                What's kind of scary about the loan from the USDA is the fact that it is a loan...and loans have to be paid back. Short term, having $27M "in the bank" will probably contribute to making the university look financially solvent when they might be on no more firm financial footing than the day before they got the loan. Don't know if that is the case but if it is, AB could be back in the same financial situation in a few years after the $27M is spent and now the USDA expects them to start paying it back.

Comment

Any additional updates on WU's status? Are they expected to stay open past this year? Last I saw, their full time enrollment was down to 375. I believe only Urbana has less full time undergrads.

Also, Davis and Elkins might not be quite as bad of an addition as many thought they would be. I know many were upset because they don't have football and were viewed as a perennial GMAC bottom-dweller. However, they are currently 3rd in volleyball, 2nd in their women's soccer division and middle of the pack in men's soccer.
                  Last edited by Stea1th; 10-14-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                    Any additional updates on WU's status? Are they expected to stay open past this year? Last I saw, their full time enrollment was down to 375. I believe only Urbana has less full time undergrads.

Also, Davis and Elkins might not be quite as bad of an addition as many thought they would be. I know many were upset because they don't have football and were viewed as a perennial GMAC bottom-dweller. However, they are currently 3rd in volleyball, 2nd in their women's soccer division and middle of the pack in men's soccer.
                    MEC needs more, better football teams not less. The rise of FSU has helped to soften the blow of the departure of SHEP, but if the MEC, GMAC and NE10 don't improve their leagues, the likelihood of 4-6 PSAC teams in the SR1 playoff becomes more and more real.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      MEC needs more, better football teams not less. The rise of FSU has helped to soften the blow of the departure of SHEP, but if the MEC, GMAC and NE10 don't improve their leagues, the likelihood of 4-6 PSAC teams in the SR1 playoff becomes more and more real.
                      As we've learned, doesn't really matter how many teams the PSAC get's in, because as a conference they aren't going to win SR1.

Shepherd had begun a downward slide last year after the retirement of their world class HC. Looks like this year will see their continued decline. I'm more than pleased with what Frostburg brings to the table as their replacement. Overall they appear to be a pretty big step up for the conference. Next year brings UNCP to the party and they are also a big step up.

We hear ad nauseum about how GREAT the PSAC is in football and how BAD the MEC is. In the sake of fairness, let's examine the head-to-head between the two conferences. MEC has been around since 2013 and counting the playoffs and regular season, there have been 16 head to head games between the two. Overall head-to-head record stands at 10 victories for MEC squads and 6 for PSAC. For those keeping score at home that is a .625 winning percentage that the MEC holds over the PSAC. Oh but I'm sure the PSAC faithful will say "Yea but when you take SHEPHERD out of the equation, CLEARLY the PSAC is better." Well, OK, MINUS the wins and losses that Shepheard had vs PSAC schools when it was in the MEC, the MEC STILL holds a head to head advantage over the PSAC by a slim 6 games to 5 (.545). Playoffs only head to head? MEC 7 PSAC 3 Regular season only? Tied at 3-3. Playoffs without Shepherd? Tied AGAIN at...2-2.

OK...maybe the PSAC comes out ahead on Regional Championships? Uhhh...nope MEC 4 PSAC 2. Maybe head-to-head in Regional Championship games? Sorry...MEC 4 PSAC 1. SURELY if you subtract Shepherd from the equation the PSAC MUST be ahead in Regional Titles, right? Well, they do TIE the MEC at 2-2 so I guess that is at least something.

ONLY place the PSAC can claim supremacy over the MEC is in total number of teams that have been selected for the playoffs MEC 8 PSAC 17. But here again, MEC team that makes the playoffs has a .500 chance at being crowned Regional Champion...PSAC team making the playoffs has a .178% chance.

Face it, anyway you look at head to head between the two conferences the MEC comes out ahead of the PSAC. OK, that's not 100% accurate, the PSAC is MUCH better getting teams INTO the playoffs...were they are systematically dispatched by the MEC's representative.
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

This is just my guess on Wheeling U. They will stay open if they raise $5m before May. The Diocese gave them $2m at the last minute in August. Prior to that the last President says in lawsuit that he told them they only had funds to stay 1st semester. Goal for fund raising campaign on web site is $5m by May.

Comment

As we've learned, doesn't really matter how many teams the PSAC get's in, because as a conference they aren't going to win SR1.

We hear ad nauseum about how GREAT the PSAC is in football and how BAD the MEC is. In the sake of fairness, let's examine the head-to-head between the two conferences. MEC has been around since 2013 and counting the playoffs and regular season, there have been 16 head to head games between the two. Overall head-to-head record stands at 10 victories for MEC squads and 6 for PSAC. For those keeping score at home that is a .625 winning percentage that the MEC holds over the PSAC. Oh but I'm sure the PSAC faithful will say "Yea but when you take SHEPHERD out of the equation, CLEARLY the PSAC is better." Well, OK, MINUS the wins and losses that Shepheard had vs PSAC schools when it was in the MEC, the MEC STILL holds a head to head advantage over the PSAC by a slim 6 games to 5 (.545). Playoffs only head to head? MEC 7 PSAC 3 Regular season only? Tied at 3-3. Playoffs without Shepherd? Tied AGAIN at...2-2.

OK...maybe the PSAC comes out ahead on Regional Championships? Uhhh...nope MEC 4 PSAC 2. Maybe head-to-head in Regional Championship games? Sorry...MEC 4 PSAC 1. SURELY if you subtract Shepherd from the equation the PSAC MUST be ahead in Regional Titles, right? Well, they do TIE the MEC at 2-2 so I guess that is at least something.

ONLY place the PSAC can claim supremacy over the MEC is in total number of teams that have been selected for the playoffs MEC 8 PSAC 17. But here again, MEC team that makes the playoffs has a .500 chance at being crowned Regional Champion...PSAC team making the playoffs has a .178% chance.

Face it, anyway you look at head to head between the two conferences the MEC comes out ahead of the PSAC. OK, that's not 100% accurate, the PSAC is MUCH better getting teams INTO the playoffs were they are systematically dispatched by the MEC's representative.
                          That is something that has certainly been true. My question is do you think it will continue to be so ? In the last 10 years MEC-5, PSAC-3 and CIAA-2 were SR1 champions. However if you move the SHEP champions to any future possibilities it may turn out to be PSAC-6, MEC-2, GMAC/NE10-2. I've no idea. Maybe NDC will run them up year after year. Or FSU. But the core of the WVIAC/MEC i.e. WVSU, CHAS, WLU, GSU, WVW, FAIR, and CONCORD don't strike me as a league that will get more than 1-2 teams into the PO. We'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

That is something that has certainly been true. My question is do you think it will continue to be so ? In the last 10 years MEC-5, PSAC-3 and CIAA-2 were SR1 champions. However if you move the SHEP champions to any future possibilities it may turn out to be PSAC-6, MEC-2, GMAC/NE10-2. I've no idea. Maybe NDC will run them up year after year. Or FSU. But the core of the WVIAC/MEC i.e. WVSU, CHAS, WLU, GSU, WVW, FAIR, and CONCORD don't strike me as a league that will get more than 1-2 teams into the PO. We'll see what happens in a few weeks.
                            Frostburg will be the next school poached by the PSAC. Wait and see.

Comment

I dont think so. I havent heard any rumors and you guys make sense for us geographically.

And to add onto this Post. With our Current VP he doesn't like to spend any money so unless the contract ran out i dont see it as a likely scenario.
                              Last edited by Real_FSU_47; 10-16-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Shepherd had begun a downward slide last year after the retirement of their world class HC. Looks like this year will see their continued decline. I'm more than pleased with what Frostburg brings to the table as their replacement. Overall they appear to be a pretty big step up for the conference. Next year brings UNCP to the party and they are also a big step up.

Face it, anyway you look at head to head between the two conferences the MEC comes out ahead of the PSAC. OK, that's not 100% accurate, the PSAC is MUCH better getting teams INTO the playoffs...were they are systematically dispatched by the MEC's representative.

Once again I will chime in towards you. In 2017 your second place team, Fairmont State, lost to my East Stroudsburg Warriors, who finished 2nd to last in the PSAC. Your conference is a one horse pony each year that can't compete with the DEPTH of the PSAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X