Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Once again I will chime in towards you. In 2017 your second place team, Fairmont State, lost to my East Stroudsburg Warriors, who finished 2nd to last in the PSAC. Your conference is a one horse pony each year that can't compete with the DEPTH of the PSAC.

We played their second place team two years in a row in the playoffs (both games in WV). I wish we could do that every year in Round 1. Just sayin'

Of course, it would be nicer to have a home game. But, we were 'seeded' lower.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We played their second place team two years in a row in the playoffs (both games in WV). I wish we could do that every year in Round 1. Just sayin'

Of course, it would be nicer to have a home game. But, we were 'seeded' lower.
      Boat always likes to bring up his own facts, and to quote the great President Trump (Just kidding there IUPNation), it is fake news.

The MEC does produce good teams. Notre Dame proved that last year, as well as Shepherd. But the league is not a deep league, and year in that gets proven in cross overs and playoffs. Eliminate their best team each year, and you have mediocre teams. Yes Notre Dame beat Slippery Rock last year, but the Rock, WC, IUP, Cal, IMO would beat up the next best the MEC has to offer. The problem is it is a dogfight most weeks in the PSAC, and I think Shep is finding that out now, not taking anything away from them because they have a great program.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Boat always likes to bring up his own facts, and to quote the great President Trump (Just kidding there IUPNation), it is fake news.

The MEC does produce good teams. Notre Dame proved that last year, as well as Shepherd. But the league is not a deep league, and year in that gets proven in cross overs and playoffs. Eliminate their best team each year, and you have mediocre teams. Yes Notre Dame beat Slippery Rock last year, but the Rock, WC, IUP, Cal, IMO would beat up the next best the MEC has to offer. The problem is it is a dogfight most weeks in the PSAC, and I think Shep is finding that out now, not taking anything away from them because they have a great program.
        Last edited by boatcapt; 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

There's a couple things I could say about this, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that everything in your post IS valid, and the historical data shows that the two conferences are close top to bottom. The fact remains that the most recent win by a MEC team below 1st over any PSAC team was in 2014. Since then, MEC teams below 1st are 0-4 against the PSAC. Small sample size, maybe. But it doesn't look good.

On top of that, you have to consider that in recent years the PSAC lost Cheyney and added Shepherd, a clear improvement to depth. The MEC lost Shepherd and UVA-Wise, and added Wheeling and Frostburg State. A wash at best. Adding UNC Pembroke next year makes it a little more favorable, but not significantly. These changes matter.

I would argue that recent data should be considered slightly more strongly, as this is more predictive of the conference relationship going forward. Is it possible that the two conferences are close behind the top, yeah, maybe. But I just haven't seen it recently.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
            There's a couple things I could say about this, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that everything in your post IS valid, and the historical data shows that the two conferences are close top to bottom. The fact remains that the most recent win by a MEC team below 1st over any PSAC team was in 2014. Since then, MEC teams below 1st are 0-4 against the PSAC. Small sample size, maybe. But it doesn't look good.

On top of that, you have to consider that in recent years the PSAC lost Cheyney and added Shepherd, a clear improvement to depth. The MEC lost Shepherd and UVA-Wise, and added Wheeling and Frostburg State. A wash at best. Adding UNC Pembroke next year makes it a little more favorable, but not significantly. These changes matter.

I would argue that recent data should be considered slightly more strongly, as this is more predictive of the conference relationship going forward. Is it possible that the two conferences are close behind the top, yeah, maybe. But I just haven't seen it recently.
            All right man...Keep them glasses on to protect your illusion that the PSAC is superior top to bottom!!

I agree with observations on data recency. And I also agree that you can make an argument that the current trend line points in the PSAC favor (provided you throw in the limiters you state...most recent wins by teams below 1st overall. But given the limited amount of data (three games in four/five years??), it's a HUGE leap to say that the PSAC is CLEARLY better top to bottom.

While Shepherd is clearly better than Cheyney and therefore, a big step up for the PSAC, they are a program that seems to be in decline since Catter retired before last season. Early indications are that Frostburg is at least equal to and quite probably a step up from the current version of Shepherd. Wise was nothing more than a lower middle of the pack school who had one winning season as a member of the MEC. Comparatively, UNCP will be much more competitive and a big step up from them. For starters, UNCP has made the NCAA Playoffs twice over the last six years in the ultra competitive SR2. Wheeling, from a football perspective, is basically the MEC's version of Seton Hill. They have some pretty big issues going on at WU and only time will tell if they are even in business next year and beyond. But generally, I note that they are in their first year of college football and there is ample history of new football programs being pretty good by their third or forth season.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 10-17-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              But given the limited amount of data (three games in four/five years??), it's a HUGE leap to say that the PSAC is CLEARLY better top to bottom.
              Don't put words in my mouth. I never said this.

Shepherd could be one tenth of the program it once was and still be a massive upgrade over Cheyney. I do hope that the new programs in the MEC make it stronger, as a stronger MEC means a stronger SR1.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said this.

Shepherd could be one tenth of the program it once was and still be a massive upgrade over Cheyney. I do hope that the new programs in the MEC make it stronger, as a stronger MEC means a stronger SR1.
                That is true. Upgrading over Cheyney is a very low bar that Shepherd should clear with ease.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X