Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluefield State effect on MEC future

With the CIAA adding Bluefield State, does that effect the future of the MEC?

I am sure there were some in then MEC footprint that liked having an independent football program right down the road for when/if NDC ever leaves. Salem would be a easy add though but no football.

My thoughts are that simply it could put Conference Carolinas in a more motivated stance to figure out one more affliate somewhere to sponsor. If they do, then the MEC loses out on UNC-pembroke.

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
    I am sure there were some in then MEC footprint that liked having an independent football program right down the road for when/if NDC ever leaves.
    Careful suggesting that NDC might leave, you risk the wrath of boatcapt.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Oh don't worry, I am well aware of that. NDC will move on eventually, especially if the southern GMAC ever shifts. End of the day, someone will do the math and realize that driving to Concord and Charleston all the time is stupid when you could be driving to Lake Erie, Walsh, or Tiffin.

Comment

Oh don't worry, I am well aware of that. NDC will move on eventually, especially if the southern GMAC ever shifts. End of the day, someone will do the math and realize that driving to Concord and Charleston all the time is stupid when you could be driving to Lake Erie, Walsh, or Tiffin.
        Some alternative views...
        1. If travel distance were a major concern for NDC, wouldn't adding Bluefield State possibly be the tipping point?
        2. Bluefield State only has about 950 full time students in 2020. That is dangerously low. Yet they started a football program. Speculation is that it is an attempt to boost enrollment (the Urbana approach of recruiting athletes that eventually failed). Here is link to enrollment data.

https://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/dfr/2021/R...?unitId=237215

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Some alternative views...
          1. If travel distance were a major concern for NDC, wouldn't adding Bluefield State possibly be the tipping point?
          2. Bluefield State only has about 950 full time students in 2020. That is dangerously low. Yet they started a football program. Speculation is that it is an attempt to boost enrollment (the Urbana approach of recruiting athletes that eventually failed). Here is link to enrollment data.

https://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/dfr/2021/R...?unitId=237215
          Bluefield State is joining the CIAA. Non issue for this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Bluefield State is joining the CIAA. Non issue for this discussion.
            Probably should have responded to original post in thread, that bluefield state joining ciaa instead of MEC could possibly affect MEC future, should NDC leave MEC to reduce travel costs.

I have no idea if mec was considered. Given failed attempt by Bluefield State to establish branch in wheeling, that action might have burned some bridges. Good fit for CIAA- HBCU although somewhat unique with less than 30% African-American enrollment.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Probably should have responded to original post in thread, that bluefield state joining ciaa instead of MEC could possibly affect MEC future, should NDC leave MEC to reduce travel costs.

I have no idea if mec was considered. Given failed attempt by Bluefield State to establish branch in wheeling, that action might have burned some bridges. Good fit for CIAA- HBCU although somewhat unique with less than 30% African-American enrollment.
              I think all the former WVIAC schools, Bluefield State included, could always be considered for MEC membership. WV Tech could be interesting a few years down the line if they ever actually get FB off the ground. With BSU making the CIAA move, they seem to be pulling themselves away from the rest of the old WVIAC. I think the future membership of the MEC based on an eventual NDC and UNC-Pembroke exit, potential for adding Salem, WV Tech, or UDC, and someone trying to sweet talk Shepherd back from the PSAC.

Comment

Please don't ever mention Salem again! That place is not even close to MEC standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                  Please don't ever mention Salem again! That place is not even close to MEC standards.
                  Why not? I know they have a long history with all the old WVIAC schools, and (while they are small), they seem at least as competitive as schools in the MEC like Glenville State or WVWC. They practically play a partial MEC schedule in most sports just due to simple travel considerations. I know everyone would prefer another football program, but if the conference considered non-football Davis and Elkins, then they should Salem.

Comment

Why not? I know they have a long history with all the old WVIAC schools, and (while they are small), they seem at least as competitive as schools in the MEC like Glenville State or WVWC. They practically play a partial MEC schedule in most sports just due to simple travel considerations. I know everyone would prefer another football program, but if the conference considered non-football Davis and Elkins, then they should Salem.
                    Salem was all but run out of the GMAC. Why on earth would the MEC even think of giving Salem the time of day?
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Salem was all but run out of the GMAC. Why on earth would the MEC even think of giving Salem the time of day?
                      1. Travel - The majority of the conference is within an 2ish hour drive it seems, especially beneficial for GSU, AB, WVWC, and Fairmont State
                      2. Competitive - By available evidence, Salem seems to be on par with the middle of the MEC in various sports (Basketball, men's soccer, baseball)
                      3. The Davis and Elkins Addition - The D&E addition seemed to open the door for non-football schools into the conference.
                      4. Historical Precedent - Salem was a WVIAC member throughout the conference history, and was very competitive as a football program back in the day. I like to think that history with MEC schools plays some role. Heck, if they brought back football, not very many DIIs anywhere can tout guys like Terry Bowden, Jimbo Fisher, Bill Stewart, and Rich Rodriguez as program alumni/former coaches.

Comment

D & E has a nice campus, buildings and facilities. Elkins is a prosperous small town. Salem University looks like a small Ukrainain town that has just been bombed. The town of Salem appears to be on its last leg. As for keeping your conference image, Salem would be a disaster.

Comment

What was the reason Salem left the WVIAC in 2010? Was it their decision or the conference's?

EDIT: Found the answer in a 2013 article.

"The conference did take action a few years ago to remove Salem from the conference, because we didn't think that their overall athletic situation was as competitive and had the quality we wanted for our athletes who play them," he said. "The conference was beginning to take those actions against West Virginia Tech and then West Virginia Tech withdrew from the conference."So, yes, there has been a raising of the bar. We have expectations about the quality of the experience for schools to participate in the conference."
                          Last edited by Inkblot; 12-10-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

What was the reason Salem left the WVIAC in 2010? Was it their decision or the conference's?

EDIT: Found the answer in a 2013 article.
                            Ummm, when Salem was in the WVIAC, they had a 1st-team all-conference basketball player that it was later found out that the school had no transcripts nor class records of.

Comment

Hahahaha...My issue has been and continues to be that if NDC was interested in changing conferences, they would have done so by now. Fact that they haven't done so speaks volumes about their intentions. Maybe they change conferences in the future. But for now, it seems to be more an issue of the fertile imagination of some posters on this forum.

As for the MEC, pretty clear they are happy with the size they are right now. I don't think that is the right move but you can't argue with the facts.

I've said in the past that the MEC and the GMAC should merge. That would be a very powerful conf across the board. But clearly, that doesn't seem to be in the table.

Same with Conf Carolina and their supposed interest in adding football as a sponsored sport. Maybe CC member Chowin being bounced out of the CIAA for football will finally be the impetus for them to finally pull the trigger but again I would point to history. They could have done so over the past number of years but have chosen not to.

I wonder were Chowin will end up.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 12-11-2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X