Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I don't know if they'll ever realize their basketball potential. I gave up, there is no excuse for them not be better than .500 being so close to the DMV.
    I know full well giving up on a team that has no excuse for were they are. Shepherd and WLU are opposite sides of the same coin...one great in football and 500 in basketball year after year, the other great in basketball but sub 500 in football year after year. I know WLU certainly does not starve it's football team and I would assume Shepherd does not starve it's basketball team so it's not for lack of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
      Several years ago the late Corky Griffith did a study for Salem as to restarting football. His findings were that it wasn’t financially feasible for Salem to restart the program.
      Interesting, I heard it had been kicked around in the early 2000s, but never knew anyone seriously looked into it. The schools seems do be in a little better shape today that the early 2010s, and frankly they really need to build enrollment up over 1000. A big if for Salem would if they had the dorm space for nearly 100 new students, on top of the salaries, equipment, etc. needed to get a program going if you played off site at DCHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
        Back to the original topic, I would say Salem adds a few things to the MEC.

1. Stability to the central WV contingent: DE, AB, and WVWC have all been connected to financial problems in recent years. Adding a school that could aid somewhat in keeping their costs down would be beneficial for them, and the stability of the conference.
        AB plays Salem in every sport other than football multiple times during their respective seasons. There is no sense nor any reason for adding them to the conference. It isn't like they are going to start dropping us. We are as close to them as any one they play so they will keep scheduling as we will keep scheduling them. The conference has enough dead-weight right now in the conference including my school.

It would nice to get all conference members on the same page. I would rather see D&E start football so that all members are on the same footing.

Comment

I don't know if they'll ever realize their basketball potential. I gave up, there is no excuse for them not be better than .500 being so close to the DMV.
          I live right across the river from Shepherd. And I am not flaming here.

But for the life of me, I will never understand how a school located within an hour and 15 minutes of some of the most fertile basketball ground in America can never make a NCAA tournament. Baltimore, DC, Maryland suburbs, northern Virginia are all within easy reach of Shepherd. But they never seem to move the needle in men's basketball year after year after year. The amount of quality ballers in these areas is at another level.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I know full well giving up on a team that has no excuse for were they are. Shepherd and WLU are opposite sides of the same coin...one great in football and 500 in basketball year after year, the other great in basketball but sub 500 in football year after year. I know WLU certainly does not starve it's football team and I would assume Shepherd does not starve it's basketball team so it's not for lack of resources.
            Not sure if they have reallocated the resources, but when I was in school in the mid 2000's the word was they had at least 8 or 9 equivalencies. With the talent available within an hour of campus, it's baffling how they can't ever put 1 team together to get over the hump and really compete regionally.

Comment

Not sure if they have reallocated the resources, but when I was in school in the mid 2000's the word was they had at least 8 or 9 equivalencies. With the talent available within an hour of campus, it's baffling how they can't ever put 1 team together to get over the hump and really compete regionally.
              Yep...Add it to the list of things that just don't make logical sense.

Comment

I've watched them since they joined the PSAC. It's not a lack of talent. They've had plenty of talented players. Look back over the past several years. They show flashes of being very good ... like the night they clobbered East Stroudsburg this year. Then, of course, they turn around and lose to a Mansfield type.

I don't know the coach there from some random dude on the street. But, as stated above, with the proximity to the holy lands of basketball recruiting ... it is baffling.

The Rams are rarely an easy game, but they should be much more.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I've watched them since they joined the PSAC. It's not a lack of talent. They've had plenty of talented players. Look back over the past several years. They show flashes of being very good ... like the night they clobbered East Stroudsburg this year. Then, of course, they turn around and lose to a Mansfield type.

I don't know the coach there from some random dude on the street. But, as stated above, with the proximity to the holy lands of basketball recruiting ... it is baffling.

The Rams are rarely an easy game, but they should be much more.
                  Coach is a nice guy and runs a no frills program. He's got good relationships all over the athletic department. Career record is 162-158. Considering this is year 14, you just have to assume as long as they don't bottom out, they are just fine with an average program. I stopped being frustrated by that thinking about a decade ago.

Comment

Coach is a nice guy and runs a no frills program. He's got good relationships all over the athletic department. Career record is 162-158. Considering this is year 14, you just have to assume as long as they don't bottom out, they are just fine with an average program. I stopped being frustrated by that thinking about a decade ago.
                    Yep. I like Coach Namolik, but the complete lack of any real success has made me pretty apathetic toward the entire program.

Comment

The town of Salem and the University is sub par for being asked to join the MEC. Please go there and see for yourself before being for Salem to join the conference. The town looks like a worn torn Ukrainian city that just been hit by 10 Russian missiles!

Comment

Would D&E ever restart football? I was surprised when the MEC added them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                          Would D&E ever restart football? I was surprised when the MEC added them.
                          You never know but I haven't heard anything to indicate they are even considering starting football.

The only school even mentioned as a possible MEC candidate starting football is WV Tech and that was one press conference over a year ago.

Comment

Any news about WV Tech restarting football since then?

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                              Any news about WV Tech restarting football since then?
                              I haven't seen much. The initial announcement seemed pretty serious, with a home field already outlined, but I have seen nothing since.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X