Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NE10Fan View Post
    Have they implemented the "proposed" rule?

My gut feeling is that if SOS comes into play, NE10 teams will be out. Assumption will be the hardest hit, having to play Franklin Pierce (new D2 team) once and St. A's twice, (one in conference and one OOC game). That, along with being blown out by Kutztown, they may need to run the table to have a chance. This league is up for grabs, depends on who is home. I haven't done the math on it but seems like the champion could easily have 2 or 3 losses. 3 ain't getting in.
    I think that the real significance of SOS is the seeding of the 1-4 teams. #5-7 are all border line especially if the new rules come into play in any particular SR. SR1 is not likely to be affected this season because of the number of teams who will have good records.
    For more details see below and click on 2019-20 BRACKETING INITIATIVE

www.ncaa.org/championships/division-ii-football

Comment

There are going to be seven teams from SR1 in the playoffs. Whether they're all in the SR1 bracket is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
        There are going to be seven teams from SR1 in the playoffs. Whether they're all in the SR1 bracket is another matter.
        Sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          Check the General Discussion thread " Proposed New Bracket Structure for 2019" for details. Long and short of it is if any SR has an abundance of excellent teams, and the specified criteria (don't ask me) are met one of their teams may end up in another SR. I actually asked if this meant that it was possible for the members of a particular SR to be shut out of the semis if the interloper team won that region, the answer is yes.
          Very complicated rules change supposedly done to save travel $$$, but IMO this is a way for leagues like GLIAC and MIAA to get more of their teams into the PLAYOFFS. I have no idea what the largest league, PSAC, thinks about it but would be interested if anyone knows.
          Gotcha. I misinterpreted your post as a team from another region being put into SR1 and a SR1/NE10 team being completely bumped from the playoff field, not just into another region.

I agree that it's highly doubtful that the new playoff format would effect SR1 due to density.

Comment

The NCAA is trying to rank the teams from 1 to 28 easily overall instead of by region. But each region will still get 7 teams in the playoffs.

It is more geared for the western part of the country where travel is longer for playoff games. SR1 will most likely not be affected by the new rules except that some of the teams will be the lower ranked schools so if the overall # 1 seed is closer to the Northeast, then something might change.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Falewicz View Post
              The NCAA is trying to rank the teams from 1 to 28 easily overall instead of by region. But each region will still get 7 teams in the playoffs.
              Is that something that's planned for future years? Because the changes made this year don't seem to have any connection to national seedings.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Falewicz View Post

It is more geared for the western part of the country where travel is longer for playoff games. SR1 will most likely not be affected by the new rules except that some of the teams will be the lower ranked schools so if the overall # 1 seed is closer to the Northeast, then something might change.
                Is that their not too subtle hint that they'd like to scrap the SR system sooner rather than later ?

Comment

Is that their not too subtle hint that they'd like to scrap the SR system sooner rather than later ?
                  For D2 sports, it is about travel and time away from the classroom. They would need to overhaul all of the regions and I don't see them doing that. For sports like basketball and baseball and softball, it works perfectly to play regionally and then make it to the national stage. Football has an advantage as it is a once a week game and the playoffs are easier to travel further to play games.

There is never going to be a perfect system.

Comment

Almost halfway through the season, SR1 looks tight for NE10. PSAC has five 5-0 teams. MEC has one 5-0 and three 4-1 teams. NE10 has ASSUMPTION 4-1 and STONEHILL 3-1. Considering possibly two of the undefeateds will finish 11-0, several of the others will be 10-1 and several more will be 9-2,. is there any chance a two loss team can get in from the league ?
                    After week 6, one less undefeated as IUP drops a very close one to SRU. Now three 6-0 and two 5-1 left in PSAC.
                    MEC has one 6-0 and two 5-1. FSU and WVSU both have a shot at NDC. If either of them are able to pull off an upset, MEC may get two spots in the PO.
                    GMAC will likely get one spot from among 5-1 TIFFIN, 4-2 FINDLAY and 4-2 HILLSDALE
                    Which leaves with NE10 with 4-1 STONEHILL, 4-2 ASSUMPTION and 4-2 PACE all with very tough games left. STONEHILL can afford to lose one and perhaps still make the PO. IMO the other two have no losses to give. Quite a down year for the league.

Comment

After week 6, one less undefeated as IUP drops a very close one to SRU. Now three 6-0 and two 5-1 left in PSAC.
                      MEC has one 6-0 and two 5-1. FSU and WVSU both have a shot at NDC. If either of them are able to pull off an upset, MEC may get two spots in the PO.
                      GMAC will likely get one spot from among 5-1 TIFFIN, 4-2 FINDLAY and 4-2 HILLSDALE
                      Which leaves with NE10 with 4-1 STONEHILL, 4-2 ASSUMPTION and 4-2 PACE all with very tough games left. STONEHILL can afford to lose one and perhaps still make the PO. IMO the other two have no losses to give. Quite a down year for the league.
                      CALUPA69,
                      Does WVa St's lost to FCS school SE Mo St counts against them when it comes to selecting playoffs teams?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

CALUPA69,
                        Does WVa St's lost to FCS school SE Mo St counts against them when it comes to selecting playoffs teams?
                        Not sure, but that's why I feel MEC may get two spots. NDC is highly likely plus one of the other two. I'm sure we'll get an answer soon.

Comment

Don't forget that Frostburg State isn't playoff-eligible until 2022...

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                            Don't forget that Frostburg State isn't playoff-eligible until 2022...
                            What would I do without people who know what's going on !!! But it still seems likely that the MEC will get two spots unless WVSU falls apart.

Comment

What would I do without people who know what's going on !!! But it still seems likely that the MEC will get two spots unless WVSU falls apart.
                              I agree, since West Va St is undefeated in D-II play I think they get in, unless they lose to Urbana or Charleston before the season finale against Notre Dame College.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

CALUPA69,
                                I believe only D2 games count toward the selection, unless those rules changed as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X