X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: 2017-18 PSAC Scholarships

So you guys actually believe they are operating on 6 scholarships?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    Didn't Matt start this thread with the real numbers? The real point is you could never be convinced. Cool that you acknowledge that West Chester is a powerhouse.
    Its easier to openly speculate that a school is engaged in willful deception when they can easily do a formal or informal FOI request.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Money. Cost. Spent. Invest. Launder. Whatever the end dollar amount is. These reports are meaningless when schools play Where's Waldo with the funding.

End of the day I'd love to see how much real money each conference member has in football -- free meal plans, 'academic' scholarships, tuition discounts, ... whole enchilada.

Just a hunch but the ranking order would be a whole lot different that the report above. The disparity within the conference would be mind-blowing -- far worse than the disparity posted in the 'scholarship' report.

The three privates are showing 92 'scholarships' last season ... which, combined, bought them 11 wins. WCU is showing, what, 6 'scholarships' which bought them 10 wins.

Until you could see the real numbers I could never be convinced WCU has built a powerhouse playing with the equivalent of a kids piggy bank. What's next ... Damien Blair gets 1.2 scholarships a year in basketball?
    Didn't Matt start this thread with the real numbers? The real point is you could never be convinced. Cool that you acknowledge that West Chester is a powerhouse.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

For what it's worth, John Dell of the Winston-Salem Journal wrote this story on CIAA football scholarship levels:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/ws...a37cacc66.html

Makes for an interesting comparison between the PSAC and the CIAA in how programs fundraise scholarship money.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I think we have rather extensively discussed the West Chest scholarship issue in years past. They are NOT operating their quality football program on 6.70 scholies. Rest assured of that.

Wasn't IUP up to something like 29 scholarships at the end of the Curt era?

-

IUP did seem less than expected.

I thought money was pouring in last year?

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    West Chester voodoo accounting.
    I think we have rather extensively discussed the West Chest scholarship issue in years past. They are NOT operating their quality football program on 6.70 scholies. Rest assured of that.

Wasn't IUP up to something like 29 scholarships at the end of the Curt era?

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    West Chester voodoo accounting.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    This obviously doesn't include room & board waivers. FREE room & board, is a 50% scholarship. And this certainly doesn't take BOGs into account
    I've been told (not shown) that this is the deal in the east. Those schools have historically used discounted housing or meal plan waivers to make up for a lack of tuition scholarship revenue. What I don't understand is whether they are counted in that number you're seeing. IMO if the student gets the award because they're an athlete it should be counted.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 07-24-2018, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied

What's next ... Damien Blair gets 1.2 scholarships a year in basketball?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "investing". The biggest problem is that this thread is titled "Scholarships" and it should be "Equivalencies" which includes room and board, something that schools with declining enrollment have plenty to offer.
    Money. Cost. Spent. Invest. Launder. Whatever the end dollar amount is. These reports are meaningless when schools play Where's Waldo with the funding.

End of the day I'd love to see how much real money each conference member has in football -- free meal plans, 'academic' scholarships, tuition discounts, ... whole enchilada.

Just a hunch but the ranking order would be a whole lot different that the report above. The disparity within the conference would be mind-blowing -- far worse than the disparity posted in the 'scholarship' report.

The three privates are showing 92 'scholarships' last season ... which, combined, bought them 11 wins. WCU is showing, what, 6 'scholarships' which bought them 10 wins.

Until you could see the real numbers I could never be convinced WCU has built a powerhouse playing with the equivalent of a kids piggy bank. What's next ... Damien Blair gets 1.2 scholarships a year in basketball?

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Correct.

I mean, nobody on here actually reads the above chart and thinks Clarion is investing more in football than West Chester. I hope not, at least.
    Not sure what you mean by "investing". The biggest problem is that this thread is titled "Scholarships" and it should be "Equivalencies" which includes room and board, something that schools with declining enrollment have plenty to offer.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Correct.

I mean, nobody on here actually reads the above chart and thinks Clarion is investing more in football than West Chester. I hope not, at least.
    Or maybe Clarion's football program is generating that much more revenue than West Chester's, which is possible. Clarion's football alumni are organized and have several events so it wouldn't surprise me. It also matters where football camp revenue goes. Coaches in the PSAC have the option of supplementing their salary or putting the money back into the program for scholarships.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Correct.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

I believe the 'scholarship money' numbers are correct. But, I'll never believe WCU has had all its success with 6.7 scholarships. Wherever the money is flowing from -- academic scholarships, whatever, ... it's still flowing from somewhere. It's just being placed in a different category than 'athletic' scholarships. That's why I'd be interested to see the actual money being pumped in to each program.

p.s. Your co-worker could also be in debt up to his eyeballs. lol.
    The same applies to all of the other schools. And that amount isn't included in the numbers reported in the table above, which I think is athletic equivalencies only.

Leave a comment:

• VoiceOfReason
    replied

This obviously doesn't include room & board waivers. FREE room & board, is a 50% scholarship. And this certainly doesn't take BOGs into account

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X