Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC WEST

Not a fantastic start for the West. After one week the division went 3-5. IUP got a signature win. Gannon got a signature loss. The rest pretty much went as expected (minus SRU needing to make a dramatic comeback to win). It's too premature to say the West is down this year but this is a pretty big weekend looming.

Cal, despite it being Week 2, is likely now treating this Saturday as must-win. Slippery Rock's defense, while better in the second half, couldn't tackle Air in the opening two quarters -- something to keep an eye on as the competition increases. Edinboro is going to be pretty solid if it can stay healthy. Its Top 22 is pretty stacked. The depth is the concern.

IUP (1-0) - HUGE road win at Ashland ... two gimme games up next. Main goal: pull starters by halftime of each game. No injuries. Go to class.

Cal (0-1) - Tough road loss at Ohio Dominican ... Brutal schedule continues up through The Coal Bowl. Postseason pressure starting to build.

SRU (1-0) - Defeated Kentucky State in a close one ... Big game at Ship this weekend

Edinboro (1-0) - All over Lake Erie College. Competition takes a giant leap this weekend.

Mercyhurst (0-1) - Road loss at Hillsdale with a dismal single-digit scoring performance. Playoff path gets real foggy without a win this Saturday.

Gannon (0-1) - Rather shocking home loss. Doesn't matter, though. They were Lit AF. A trip to West Chester likely sends them to 0-2 and essentially out of the playoff picture.

Seton Hill (0-1) - Close road loss at Virginia Union. Griffins showed some improvement (and life).

Clarion (0-1) - Home (technically) loss to Shippensburg ... game was closer than the final score indicated. Trip to Lock Haven should get them feeling better.

Re: PSAC WEST

I think its still too early to tell what's going on. Non-conference opponents are hard to scout. I heard that Edinboro couldn't even get game film exchanged with Lake Erie and had to go off a YouTube video of their spring game...while knowing that 70% of the roster is new. I expected Slippery Rock to start slow on offense - just three returning starters on offense and two are OL. I believe all but IUP and Mercyhurst are starting new QBs this season. The offense that surprised me the most last week was Seton Hill. I also didn't expect Edinboro's offense to move that effortlessly against Lake Erie.

Its obviously IUP's division to lose with the typical cat and dog fight to finish 2 through 8, especially 2 through 4 (Cal, Edinboro, Rock). Both Mercyhurst and Gannon showed signs of being duds again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      I think its still too early to tell what's going on. Non-conference opponents are hard to scout. I heard that Edinboro couldn't even get game film exchanged with Lake Erie and had to go off a YouTube video of their spring game...while knowing that 70% of the roster is new. I expected Slippery Rock to start slow on offense - just three returning starters on offense and two are OL. I believe all but IUP and Mercyhurst are starting new QBs this season. The offense that surprised me the most last week was Seton Hill. I also didn't expect Edinboro's offense to move that effortlessly against Lake Erie.

Its obviously IUP's division to lose with the typical cat and dog fight to finish 2 through 8, especially 2 through 4 (Cal, Edinboro, Rock). Both Mercyhurst and Gannon showed signs of being duds again.
      I caught the end of the Seton Hill game on the greensburg sports net. - great stream BTW, In OT they looked bad. I think VUU couldn't cover Ardel Brown, as He had 180+ yds and 3 TDs - I think Seton Hill will be as always, a threat to score with Brown, but no real defense or running game. Lots of Sacks too.

Comment

It is early but nonetheless the losses count the same. You only get so many and your season is essentially over (for those with playoff aspirations, anyway).

Most years you better only lose twice. Some years you get a 3-loss team in but you're playing with fire at that point.

Comment

This might be setting up for the type of year where a few two loss teams get into the playoffs, and maybe a three loss team. We're going to know a lot more about Cal, SRU, and Edinboro after this weekend. Also of interest is the Ashland at Ohio Dominican game as both had PSAC West opponents in week one with IUP and Cal respectively. If Cal can get a win and Dominican can handle Ashland (tall order), you have to think that gives them a lot more confidence moving forward. If the opposite happens, uh oh...

Comment

Week 1...to early to make decisions on who's who. From a CAL stand point...a 28-23 lost to ODU is not a bad showing for a very young team.

Comment

Originally posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
              Week 1...to early to make decisions on who's who. From a CAL stand point...a 28-23 lost to ODU is not a bad showing for a very young team.
              I don't disagree at all. It looks even better if ODU topples Ashland, and Cal comes out on top of Kutztown, which just beat Assumption on the road, which isn't easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                I don't disagree at all. It looks even better if ODU topples Ashland, and Cal comes out on top of Kutztown, which just beat Assumption on the road, which isn't easy to do.
                No doubt. Way early.

However, to your point, if Ashland beats ODU and Kutztown beats Cal ... then you have an 0-2 Vulcan team that is yet to play IUP, SRU or Edinboro. That's why I was implying that despite it only being Week 2 ... things get real in a real hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  No doubt. Way early.

However, to your point, if Ashland beats ODU and Kutztown beats Cal ... then you have an 0-2 Vulcan team that is yet to play IUP, SRU or Edinboro. That's why I was implying that despite it only being Week 2 ... things get real in a real hurry.
                  As PSAC fans its never to early to start looking at the playoffs and the two games in the GMAC this week are huge for that. ODU and Ashland as well as Findlay and Ferris State. I think it would be very helpful to the PSAC if both of these teams take hits this weekend.
                  @zsimpson_d2

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                    I caught the end of the Seton Hill game on the greensburg sports net. - great stream BTW, In OT they looked bad. I think VUU couldn't cover Ardel Brown, as He had 180+ yds and 3 TDs - I think Seton Hill will be as always, a threat to score with Brown, but no real defense or running game. Lots of Sacks too.

Comment

Originally posted by jcjs2118 View Post
                      but this bus ride home will be with the W.

There's smack talk coming out of Greensburg. I like it.

Just toss some accidental squib kicks at Denny. They love them.

Comment

There's smack talk coming out of Greensburg. I like it.

Just toss some accidental squib kicks at Denny. They love them.

The Griffins were dancing on their sideline after taking a 2 TD lead in the 2nd half, but ESU had the final dance of the night...I loved THAT!!!

Comment

Another 3-5 weekend for the West. That gives the division a 6-10 overall record.

Notes:

* Hard to say what's going on in Erie. Both teams are winless. Mercyhurst has lost two close games but nonetheless. Gannon just looked lifeless at West Chester. With a legit star running back and 18 returning starters, this 0-2 start is hard to figure. Kutztown coming to town this Saturday likely sends the Knights to 0-3 and ends what some saw as a promising season.

* Cal's trip to Shippensburg is now without doubt must-win. An 0-3 start, regardless of how close the games were, would likely end any postseason hopes. Ship is still hard to get a read on ... somebody had to win that SRU game last week. Neither team played real well.

* Slippery Rock is very fortunate it is heading to Millersviille for several reasons. It's probably good for the HC to get 6 hours off campus and away from the angry mob. The Marauders will also be a good opponent for a suddenly injury-riddled team to get re-adjusted. That said, Millersville's dink-n-dunk offense should move the ball on SRU's suspect defense. The victory formation meltdown of a week ago could have very big implications down the road -- for both teams.

* IUP should have another similar one-half type of game. Edinboro should also have no issues and head in to Adamson next week undefeated. Both just need to come out healthy.

* Clarion will get Win 2 heading in to West play

* Seton Hill is showing life but continues to rack up the losses. West Chester coming to Greensburg isn't going to end well.

Comment

Another 3-5 weekend for the West. That gives the division a 6-10 overall record.

* Slippery Rock is very fortunate it is heading to Millersviille for several reasons. It's probably good for the HC to get 6 hours off campus and away from the angry mob. The Marauders will also be a good opponent for a suddenly injury-riddled team to get re-adjusted. That said, Millersville's dink-n-dunk offense should move the ball on SRU's suspect defense. The victory formation meltdown of a week ago could have very big implications down the road -- for both teams.
                            Millersville isn't quite Cheyney. Some of their guys can play. The wideout, Shank, Dinkins on D.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                              Millersville isn't quite Cheyney. Some of their guys can play. The wideout, Shank, Dinkins on D.
                              No. They'll move the ball some on SRU. But, SRU is still a big favorite in this game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X