Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slippery Rock football since 2016: the cold, hard facts

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
    Thought that before the season based on the schedule; only 8 seniors; thought next year would be the year anyhow

0-2 in Homecoming games as well

Spends more time arguing with the refs during a game; than preparing for the next play.

BUT he is not going anywhere soon; as it has been pointed out many times on this board it is very difficult to fire a PSAC coach. BTW did anybody see Penn State in the shotgun while on their own 2 against Pitt; it is just how offenses are run in the spread, even in the victory formation last week against Kentucky St. they were in the shotgun. The chance to fumble a center/quarterback exchange would probably be the same when you don't practice it.

The loss and the way they lost hurts.. But even more importantly moving forward are the injuries, starting QB, stud running back and best DL went out with injuries and all look significant. Now the perceived winnable games may not be.

The other reality is at any good program a coach is measured in big games. The rest he's just expected to win. Reference Curt Cignetti at IUP. Good tenure, but, ...

Lutz has also been blown out by IUP twice. That doesn't sit well with the (Dr.) Evil Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The other reality is at any good program a coach is measured in big games. The rest he's just expected to win. Reference Curt Cignetti at IUP. Good tenure, but, ...

Lutz has also been blown out by IUP twice. That doesn't sit well with the (Dr.) Evil Empire.
      It was one score game going into the 4th quarter last year; not a blowout.

Comment

Have the now forming Rock Angry Mob contact the dormant IUP Angry Mob for a possible implement of destruction and shed rental. The IUP Angry Mob's implements of destruction and shed are all refurbished and spit shined to perfection because their use within the foreseeable future is not anticipated despite the Homer prophesies. Just make sure said rentals are returned in the condition as originally rented.

Comment

That loss to Edinboro two years ago was a fluke. That was a damn good Rock team and the year almost everything went Edinboro's way. As you may recall, two Rock QBs were knocked out of the game plus Edinboro got almost every call possible including the untimed down that resulted in the game winning touchdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            That loss to Edinboro two years ago was a fluke. That was a damn good Rock team and the year almost everything went Edinboro's way. As you may recall, two Rock QBs were knocked out of the game plus Edinboro got almost every call possible including the untimed down that resulted in the game winning touchdown.
            Unfortunately for Lutz he doesn't get an asterisk for fluke losses. Win or lose. The 'how' or 'why' doesn't really matter. History remembers one stat.

Comment

Unfortunately for Lutz he doesn't get an asterisk for fluke losses. Win or lose. The 'how' or 'why' doesn't really matter. History remembers one stat.
              Agreed - only mentioned that Edinboro game because he included Edinboro in his highlighted results.

To me the only thing that has changed with Lutz is his reliance on transfers. That's a big gamble each year. Some just don't turn out. At the very least you're rebuilding team chemistry every camp.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPAlumn91 View Post
                I won't pretend to know your coach or team better than you do but Slippery Rock was in a position to win that game, would you still be posting this if they didn't fumble that last snap and they won the game? I am not sure you can put that loss on the coach unless you think maybe the qb should have been under center in that situation? It was just a crazy ending...

I don't normally comment on refs but I admit that crew shouldn't even be officiating a high school game let alone a college game, to put it nicely they had a very bad game...
                You can most CERTAINLY lay that loss at Shawn Lutz's feet. Running the shotgun from your 2 rather than a direct-snap victory formation? That was simply begging for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  Agreed - only mentioned that Edinboro game because he included Edinboro in his highlighted results.

To me the only thing that has changed with Lutz is his reliance on transfers. That's a big gamble each year. Some just don't turn out. At the very least you're rebuilding team chemistry every camp.
                  Only Hills has one year of eligibility; all the others have two or more.( Jeff Marx has 4) I think reliance is a bit overstated, in a nirvana world, all your players would be a Shamar Greene or Marcus Martin, (4 yr guys) but kids get ticked they don't play right away and transfer. Look at their recruiting class announced in Feb this year; there was 4 guys that never reported or enrolled. It creates holes and if you want to be competitive you must fill these holes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                    donate some of your bank account and help it get better.
                    I do.

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
                      Thought that before the season based on the schedule; only 8 seniors; thought next year would be the year anyhow

0-2 in Homecoming games as well

Spends more time arguing with the refs during a game; than preparing for the next play.

BUT he is not going anywhere soon; as it has been pointed out many times on this board it is very difficult to fire a PSAC coach. BTW did anybody see Penn State in the shotgun while on their own 2 against Pitt; it is just how offenses are run in the spread, even in the victory formation last week against Kentucky St. they were in the shotgun. The chance to fumble a center/quarterback exchange would probably be the same when you don't practice it.

The loss and the way they lost hurts.. But even more importantly moving forward are the injuries, starting QB, stud running back and best DL went out with injuries and all look significant. Now the perceived winnable games may not be.
                      We should practice it. When I was on the team, we ran a spread offense, but the quarterbacks were able to take a snap under center when needed.

Yes, those injuries are a major concern. Other than rumors, I don't know the severity of them, but we should have two weeks to get healthy and, if those guys aren't coming back, get their replacements more meaningful reps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
                        We should practice it. When I was on the team, we ran a spread offense, but the quarterbacks were able to take a snap under center when needed.

Yes, those injuries are a major concern. Other than rumors, I don't know the severity of them, but we should have two weeks to get healthy and, if those guys aren't coming back, get their replacements more meaningful reps.
                        Who runs a victory formation out of the gun from the 1-2 yard line?

Comment

Who runs a victory formation out of the gun from the 1-2 yard line?
                          Shawn Lutz. We weren't inside our own 5, but we were in the gun to take a knee against Kentucky State last week. And that made me nervous. It's not like we were up by 35 at that point. :bulgy-eyes:

Comment

Qb sneak game over

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                              Qb sneak game over
                              You're not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                                You can most CERTAINLY lay that loss at Shawn Lutz's feet. Running the shotgun from your 2 rather than a direct-snap victory formation? That was simply begging for disaster.
                                Pretty sure I said that...

"not sure you can put that loss on the coach unless you think the qb should have been under center in that situation? It was just a crazy ending..."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X