Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SRU at IUP

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    You think IUP is a more fierce rival than Cal recently? Cal and SRU absolutely do not like eachother
    To our group, yes, IUP is a bigger rival than Cal. Guys who have played more recently might dislike Cal more, but when I was there, Cal was really bad.
    Last edited by Dozsa2; 09-30-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
      To our group, yes, IUP is a bigger rival than Cal. Guys who have played more recently might dislike Cal more, but when I was there, Cal was really bad.

While still a 'rivalry' game, it's been pretty cordial as of late. It's certainly not at the hatred level of the 1990s and early 2000s. The peak of the 'hatred' was when the current players were in diapers (or not even born).

I tend to think it's us who lived it who still push the rivalry thing and the current players follow along.

Those were much different times. Two powerful head coaches. IUP was in its 'bad boy' era. Dr. Evil spoke to the media as if he was running a Sunday School program.

Now, I do agree with you the 'second' IUP rock dance was bush league. The first one, after the playoff game, SRU had coming.

My personal favorite game in the series was (forgive my memory) I believe in 2000 (the night game at IUP). It was a thriller and IUP won late when Tink Stennent broke free on a long run. That was the largest crowd I can remember ever seeing at Miller Stadium. Every seat was filled on both sides and the entire fence (whole way around) was lined. That was the 'loudest' moment I've every heard at an IUP game.

Of course, I also remember the 'Hail Mary' SRU win up at your place.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
        You think IUP is a more fierce rival than Cal recently? Cal and SRU absolutely do not like eachother
        As I stated before Cal/ IUP Respected Rivalry. IUP/Rock Hated rivalry. SRU my guess most hated team in West the way they carry themselves and jack ass coach who is borderline wacko on sideline. Although after seeing the refs Sat at CAL I will no longer begrudge him for roasting PSAC refs because they are BRUTAL....Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          While still a 'rivalry' game, it's been pretty cordial as of late. It's certainly not at the hatred level of the 1990s and early 2000s. The peak of the 'hatred' was when the current players were in diapers (or not even born).

I tend to think it's us who lived it who still push the rivalry thing and the current players follow along.

Those were much different times. Two powerful head coaches. IUP was in its 'bad boy' era. Dr. Evil spoke to the media as if he was running a Sunday School program.

Now, I do agree with you the 'second' IUP rock dance was bush league. The first one, after the playoff game, SRU had coming.

My personal favorite game in the series was (forgive my memory) I believe in 2000 (the night game at IUP). It was a thriller and IUP won late when Tink Stennent broke free on a long run. That was the largest crowd I can remember ever seeing at Miller Stadium. Every seat was filled on both sides and the entire fence (whole way around) was lined. That was the 'loudest' moment I've every heard at an IUP game.

It's a post like this that makes me wish I went to IUP during that era. Still a great program. Still tons of history and success. It just would've been cool to have been around when all that really happened and got started.

I've followed IUP football since stepping foot on campus in the Fall of 2011. It makes me wonder what that "signature" moment was for me as it pertains to IUP football since I have been rooting.

The end of the 2012 Cal game and stands out as the most heartbreaking. Mike Box's pass being knocked away in the end zone on a 4th down play against Winston Salem State also stands out.

I think the biggest single moment or play I can remember is a play against Shepherd in that 2012 playoff game. Midway through the 4th quarter. IUP was up I believe 17-14. Shepherd was driving and was near the red zone deep in IUP territory. The Shepherd quarterback threw off play action and had a tight end open. Carl Flemming stepped in front of the pass and ran it back for a pick-6. That was memorable and certainly stands out. IUP went on to win 24-14.

While of much less significance, I remember that night game against Bloomsburg my freshman year. It was a Thursday night and Bloom was a top 5 team. That game was on national television. I remember Jerrell McFadden running back a kick in the 1st quarter. The energy was electric. It was my first real taste of IUP football. I was hooked on that night even in a loss.

Comment

AFCA Division II Coaches' Top 25 (10/1)

1. Minnesota State-Mankato (28) (5-0)
            2. Grand Valley State (1) (5-0)
            3. Ferris State (4) (5-0)
            4. Midwestern State (5-0)
            5. West Georgia (5-0)
            6. Ouachita Baptist (5-0)
            7. Minnesota-Duluth (5-0)
            8. Pittsburg State (5-0)
            9. Texas A&M-Commerce (4-1)
            10. Valdosta State (5-0)
            11. West Florida (4-1)
            12. Colorado School of Mines (5-0)
            13. West Chester (5-0)
            14. Indiana (PA) (4-1)

15. Colorado State-Pueblo (4-1)
            16. Northwest Missouri State (4-1)
            17. Southern Arkansas (5-0)
            18. Fort Hays State (4-1)
            19. Harding (4-1)
            20. Notre Dame (5-0)
            21. Tarleton State (4-0)
            22. Indianapolis (3-1)
            23. Kutztown (4-0)
            24. Azusa Pacific (4-1)
            25. Central Washington (3-2)

Dropped Out
            West Alabama (#21), Colorado Mesa (#24)

Others Receiving Votes
            Sioux Falls, Tiffin, Ohio Dominican, Saginaw Valley State, LIU-Post, Lenoir-Rhyne, Chadron State, West Texas A&M, Bowie State, Central Missouri, Davenport, Florida Tech, Hillsdale, West Alabama, Colorado Mesa, Charleston, Morehouse, Virginia Union

Comment

Longtime lurker, first time poster! (Though some of you may remember me as Captain Obvious - a handle I've long since lost track of and been unable to retrieve a password for.)

While I think it's still the best rivalry in the PSAC, I actually think (or maybe it's just a hope?) the hatred has died down a little. I think the peak of the hate fest - speaking as an observer on the Slippery Rock end of things - was around 1999-2007 or so. It died down some when Tepper became head coach, and though the on-field action heated back up under Curt Cignetti (Mainly, I think, because both teams were really, really good then) I think he kept things focused on the football rather than trying to reignite old off the field hatreds.

Of course, being on the side of all that is good and true :tongue: (Slippery Rock), I'm sure the IUP faithful can, and have correctly, pointed to times when SRU has stoked the fires.

I doubt that SRU is any more, or less hated by other teams in the PSAC than the other "haves" personally. While I don't want to give Homer any press, I can say that while I was there (~2003-2009) I found Cal more loathsome, which probably makes me some kind of a Rock heretic. I still can't fathom the #1 Rock rival being anyone other than IUP there - just too much history.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeinthesky1889 View Post
                Longtime lurker, first time poster! (Though some of you may remember me as Captain Obvious - a handle I've long since lost track of and been unable to retrieve a password for.)

While I think it's still the best rivalry in the PSAC, I actually think (or maybe it's just a hope?) the hatred has died down a little. I think the peak of the hate fest - speaking as an observer on the Slippery Rock end of things - was around 1999-2007 or so. It died down some when Tepper became head coach, and though the on-field action heated back up under Curt Cignetti (Mainly, I think, because both teams were really, really good then) I think he kept things focused on the football rather than trying to reignite old off the field hatreds.

Of course, being on the side of all that is good and true :tongue: (Slippery Rock), I'm sure the IUP faithful can, and have correctly, pointed to times when SRU has stoked the fires.

I doubt that SRU is any more, or less hated by other teams in the PSAC than the other "haves" personally. While I don't want to give Homer any press, I can say that while I was there (~2003-2009) I found Cal more loathsome, which probably makes me some kind of a Rock heretic. I still can't fathom the #1 Rock rival being anyone other than IUP there - just too much history.

Comment

Glad one game fulfills the hopes and dreams of the Mon Valley for an entire season.

We'll see who goes furthest in November. A lot of story yet to be told.

Comment

Glad one game fulfills the hopes and dreams of the Mon Valley for an entire season.

We'll see who goes furthest in November. A lot of story yet to be told.

Comment

Comment

Hey no doubt! My main beef with you guys is when you guys were acting like world beaters in 14 when you won the PSAC by way of Cal forfeiting against Gannon. Just came off as corny front runners.

Comment

The rivalry really started when Slippery Rock (Randy McKavish) hit a prayer hail mary pass to beat IUP and then followed up the following year when Dr. Evil ran up the score on our homecoming then promptly danced on the sideline taunting IUP fans then moved that dancing to the middle of our field!

The rivalry is still there but calmed a little because that idiot Dr. Evil is gone. I still can't believe the NCAA never caught up with that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                            The rivalry really started when Slippery Rock (Randy McKavish) hit a prayer hail mary pass to beat IUP and then followed up the following year when Dr. Evil ran up the score on our homecoming then promptly danced on the sideline taunting IUP fans then moved that dancing to the middle of our field!

The rivalry is still there but calmed a little because that idiot Dr. Evil is gone. I still can't believe the NCAA never caught up with that guy.
                            Are you saying SRU ran a dirty program too?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I forgot that Frank Cignetti was a saint.

And what rule(s) did Mihalik violate that would have caused an NCAA investigation?

Comment

That's why I said earlier he had Rock Dance One coming.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X