• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Scenic Stadiums in D2

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...s-dii-football

Comment

Re: Most Scenic Stadiums in D2

Here you go ... interesting topic:

What are the best stadiums in the EAST and WEST? Team performance is irrelevant ... just stadium quality, aesthetic, etc.

West-wise, I'd say:

1. Mercyhurst (no track and nice views)
      2. Slippery Rock
      3. California (visiting side bleachers are putrid which bumps SRU ahead of it)

4-6 (in no order) IUP, Edinboro, Clarion -- all three have potential to be much better

7. Seton Hill (historic local stadium with great backdrop but it feels like the home team is just renting the place)
      8. Gannon (feels too much like a soccer/football/softball/intramural facility ... and parking is awful)

Comment

Lock Haven is by far the best view in the PSAC.

Comment

Guess we can provide a little balance here. PSAC East (in 2019):

1. Shepherd ... I've said before, this is just a gorgeous venue, coming off the MD/WV bridge, the sunken field off the highway.
          2. Lock Haven ... Forget the football; the view is sublime.
          3. Bloomsburg ... Pretty surroundings.
          4. West Chester ... Nice-looking, not an all-timer.
          5. Millersville ... Sugar Bowl.
          6. Shippensburg ... Just a little too antiseptic in that corner of campus. Had they put the stadium where the old one was (the current field hockey/soccer venue), it would have felt more homey.
          7. East Stroudsburg
          8. Kutztown
          Last edited by jrshooter; 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Of those I've attended a game:

1. Slippery Rock: lots of room, great crowds and atmosphere, you feel like you're at a college game
            2. Lock Haven: parking is right there and the view is the best in the conference
            3. Edinboro: away side is large like SR but is usually empty and sits far from the field
            4. California: away side is small and a long walk from parking, restrooms, and food
            5. East Stroudsburg: only downside is parking - can't say much for typical experience because I was only there for a playoff game
            6. Clarion: metal home side is COLD and away side is almost nothing; stadium is on other side of town from campus
            7. IUP: no parking, haven't been back with new away side

Comment

I guess I'll chime in here... Of the places I have seen a game at, here are my favorites (obviously I am a tad biased...)

1) Bloomsburg (bias): the fall views over the mountains are simply sublime. Great atmosphere as well for a game!
              2) West Chester: Views aren't spectacular but the atmosphere is fantastic. Feels like a college game should.
              3) Lock Haven: Views for days!!!
              4) California: Great atmosphere and its just so nice and rustic out there.
              5) Shippensburg: Love the atmosphere but the views are lacking
              6) Kutztown: I love that their stadium is located right on campus. Very college feel to it.
              7) Mercyhurst: Beautiful facilities but it has the atmosphere of a bad HS game.
              8) ESU: PARKING SUCKS HERE
              9) Millersville: Ok, I guess
              It's always sunny in #HuskyNation

Comment

lock haven stadium veiw gets my vote for # 1

Comment

When you say 'scenic' that refers to the natural surroundings, IMO. Some of the stadiums ranked are in great locations. In the PSAC, the only one that fits the bill is LHU. The view is magnificent. That said, I always enjoy the surroundings at Bloom and West Chester. And, of course, IUP. Never been to Shephardstown but it looks great in the pictures.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                      When you say 'scenic' that refers to the natural surroundings, IMO. Some of the stadiums ranked are in great locations. In the PSAC, the only one that fits the bill is LHU. The view is magnificent. That said, I always enjoy the surroundings at Bloom and West Chester. And, of course, IUP. Never been to Shephardstown but it looks great in the pictures.
                      Come on, man. You don't like the crumbling, rust-looking concrete at Miller (that's now not hidden by the old death-trap bleachers)? Fix that up and get rid of the prison fencing around the perimeter and it will be a major improvement. The new bleachers, inside fencing and visitors' restroom were a a good start. But, there's long way to go.

Certainly hard to make a 'scenery' case for Miller although Eberly is a nice-looking building. The Field House has seen better days and needs all new windows, brick work and fresh paint.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Come on, man. You don't like the crumbling, rust-looking concrete at Miller (that's now not hidden by the old death-trap bleachers)? Fix that up and get rid of the prison fencing around the perimeter and it will be a major improvement. The new bleachers, inside fencing and visitors' restroom were a a good start. But, there's long way to go.

Certainly hard to make a 'scenery' case for Miller although Eberly is a nice-looking building. The Field House has seen better days and needs all new windows, brick work and fresh paint.
                          It really is a special place for me, although I haven't been there in several years. It's in Indiana, PA. From the home side you look out to the White's Woods hills. Even from the visitor side looking up to the rolling terrain around Mack Park and the hospital. It's not bad.

I'm not talking about bleachers. I have yet to see scenic bleachers. Or a scenic pressbox.

Comment

Farrell Stadium, great views when the leaves are changing, bonus, you don't have to drive over an hour to find civilization again.

Comment

It'll be the most scenic venue in the PSAC next September. I'll stand behind that.

As far as football goes, dismiss them at your own risk. I hope Mon Valley gets the chance to.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X