Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: WPIAL

The additional sports available today have a huge impact, too. As mentioned, in the old days at some schools there was football -- and, only football. Now, those extra 30 kids are playing different sports rather than just riding pine on Friday nights. Soccer has poached a lot of great athletes ... many would have been very good high school football players.

It's a generation thing, too. This is a Fort Night world now. Football isn't nearly as glamorous as it once was in the high school universe. I'm only 20 years removed from high school but games used to be the social event of the week for the student body. I attend games now with hardly any students even there.

Football is a tough game. Kids get hit and injured. Kids get yelled at a lot. It's very physical. ... kind of the opposite of society today.

It's not for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The additional sports available today have a huge impact, too. As mentioned, in the old days at some schools there was football -- and, only football. Now, those extra 30 kids are playing different sports rather than just riding pine on Friday nights. Soccer has poached a lot of great athletes ... many would have been very good high school football players.

It's a generation thing, too. This is a Fort Night world now. Football isn't nearly as glamorous as it once was in the high school universe. I'm only 20 years removed from high school but games used to be the social event of the week for the student body. I attend games now with hardly any students even there.

Football is a tough game. Kids get hit and injured. Kids get yelled at a lot. It's very physical. ... kind of the opposite of society today.

It's not for everybody.
      Idk where you guys live or why western PA is so weak now but I can assure you that is not the case everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
        Idk where you guys live or why western PA is so weak now but I can assure you that is not the case everywhere.
        No, it's not 'everywhere'. But it is a nation-wide trend. That's factual.

Comment

No, it's not 'everywhere'. But it is a nation-wide trend. That's factual.
          Football only needs like 5 states to survive majority of NFL players come from Cali, Florida, Texas, GA and Ohio anyways

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
            Football only needs like 5 states to survive majority of NFL players come from Cali, Florida, Texas, GA and Ohio anyways

Interesting ... thought this was a WPIAL conversation?

Comment

Interesting ... thought this was a WPIAL conversation?
              Well from the looks of it the WPIAL has traded in football for badminton and lacrosse sticks lmao

Comment

When you have a 3A school offering football, cross country, soccer and golf simultaneously, everything is going to suffer numbers-wise.

And there is some validity to the point that the WPIAL has seen more of a drop than other areas of the state. We're not really seeing a SHARP decrease in numbers in central Pennsylvania, and I don't think the east is hurting much, either.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X