Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: WPIAL

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I believe part of the problem is the organized pee wee leagues. it ends up giving 12 year olds concussions. There was this series called friday night tykes that showed how poorly kids were taught, and how even at that level the better players were taken advantage of to make the coaches look good. At the HS level coaches push kids playing for fun to work at the level for potential P5 recruits. why join a team that is going to work you like a dog, beat you up during practive, but play very little. In my opinion HS and lower level sports have been ruined by over organization. I personally know of one example where a kid's knees were ruined, and they became addicted to opiods because they were pushed way to hard when they were 11,12,13 . . . the other thing this does is force the athletes that are not stars to focus on one sport.
    This statement is the reason. Football is more than just playing time, just because you're not ready now does not mean you can't improve, competition is in our nature. Parents do have responsibility as well concerning the Opiods.

Also, sometimes little Johnny just wants to be a part of something. However, comments like above makes parents and children not want to participate. Played this game from the age of 6 - 24, never had any major injuries, bell rung a few times but even in life you get your bell rung.
    Last edited by Tony33; 10-23-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I believe part of the problem is the organized pee wee leagues. it ends up giving 12 year olds concussions. There was this series called friday night tykes that showed how poorly kids were taught, and how even at that level the better players were taken advantage of to make the coaches look good. At the HS level coaches push kids playing for fun to work at the level for potential P5 recruits. why join a team that is going to work you like a dog, beat you up during practive, but play very little. In my opinion HS and lower level sports have been ruined by over organization. I personally know of one example where a kid's knees were ruined, and they became addicted to opiods because they were pushed way to hard when they were 11,12,13 . . . the other thing this does is force the athletes that are not stars to focus on one sport.
      Friday Night Tykes was also an overly-dramatic, made-for-tv ... essentially reality show. If those shows don't have drama nobody would watch.

What ratings is a show going to draw showing a coach teaching form tackling? Lol ... it would be off the air in a week. That was the male version of Dance Moms. Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Friday Night Tykes was also an overly-dramatic, made-for-tv ... essentially reality show. If those shows don't have drama nobody would watch.

What ratings is a show going to draw showing a coach teaching form tackling? Lol ... it would be off the air in a week. That was the male version of Dance Moms. Nothing more.
        There are coaches that should not be coaching, but as a parent you have the option to pull that child off the team. I recommend Flag Football first, if they like that then move on to bigger and better things. Little Johnny may just want to be a part of something.

Comment

Comment

Not an attempt at showing anyone up, just pointing out that the concussion risks of other sports is as bad if not worse than football. I was surprised wrestling was that high regarding concussions.

Comment

I watched close to a full season of peewee this year. No doubt there are injuries. The league I watched did have a doctor on the sidelines for every game and most games had an ambulance on site. There were some broken fingers, ankle injuries, etc. One game a player failed the concussion test from the sideline doctor and had his helmet taken away. I didn't see anything even resembling the crazy parents. Small sample size but the injuries I saw this year were very few and far between.

I was actually very impressed with the league, coaches, officials, etc. I didn't see anything even in the stratosphere of Friday Night Tykes.

It was really amazing to see the teams (3rd and 4th) and (5th and 6th) progress from opening day to the final game.

Having a few morons 'coached up' to 'act up' on a TV show isn't a reflection of peewee football.

As for the concussion thing ... that's up to an individual parent. Peewee football has existed for a very long time. I played it for four years and it was one of my favorite childhood memories.

I will say peewee is far more structured and safety-oriented than it was 25 years ago.

Sure, you'll get a few weekend warrior type coaches who listen to Glory Days on the way to practice and games ... but they are few and far between. The vast majority volunteer a ton of time and are good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Interesting table. They are going to have to put Girl's Wrestling on there and it will be the fastest growing sport (of course, starting from 0 it has to be). It's sanctioned in several states now. I believe it will be in New Jersey next year. Wrestling has always been considered "un-girl-like" but as it turns out women take to wrestling very well.

Comment

LOL, unathletic genes.

Comment

I watched close to a full season of peewee this year. No doubt there are injuries. The league I watched did have a doctor on the sidelines for every game and most games had an ambulance on site. There were some broken fingers, ankle injuries, etc. One game a player failed the concussion test from the sideline doctor and had his helmet taken away. I didn't see anything even resembling the crazy parents. Small sample size but the injuries I saw this year were very few and far between.

I was actually very impressed with the league, coaches, officials, etc. I didn't see anything even in the stratosphere of Friday Night Tykes.

It was really amazing to see the teams (3rd and 4th) and (5th and 6th) progress from opening day to the final game.

Having a few morons 'coached up' to 'act up' on a TV show isn't a reflection of peewee football.

As for the concussion thing ... that's up to an individual parent. Peewee football has existed for a very long time. I played it for four years and it was one of my favorite childhood memories.

I will say peewee is far more structured and safety-oriented than it was 25 years ago.

Sure, you'll get a few weekend warrior type coaches who listen to Glory Days on the way to practice and games ... but they are few and far between. The vast majority volunteer a ton of time and are good people.

Comment

Every year my kid was involved, ( and in basketball too - probably worse there) there were always some way over zealous parents. definitely a minority, but always damaging to their kids. Its true if the parents are sensible, it can be a fun time for the kids. The size differentials at the young ages can be mitigated, but I just don't see the necessity - seems better to show the kids a few things, give them the ball and let them play, be around to break up the fights. The idea that they have to do Pee Wee to know enough football in 9th grade is nonsense, it ain't rocket science and if you are a decent athlete you will be fine. I suppose you can make a mediocre HS athlete competitive with someone much better in the 9th grade, if they have alot of experience from Pee Wee, but by senior year it won't matter.

Comment

Every year my kid was involved, ( and in basketball too - probably worse there) there were always some way over zealous parents. definitely a minority, but always damaging to their kids. Its true if the parents are sensible, it can be a fun time for the kids. The size differentials at the young ages can be mitigated, but I just don't see the necessity - seems better to show the kids a few things, give them the ball and let them play, be around to break up the fights. The idea that they have to do Pee Wee to know enough football in 9th grade is nonsense, it ain't rocket science and if you are a decent athlete you will be fine. I suppose you can make a mediocre HS athlete competitive with someone much better in the 9th grade, if they have alot of experience from Pee Wee, but by senior year it won't matter.

My original post you responded to ... I said about the kid waiting until 11th grade (not 9th grade). There is a significant development difference in 9th grade as opposed to 11th grade. No doubt. Football is as much mentality as anything. On every high school team you see kids who are great athletes but don't have the mentality to play football. It's not for everybody. You need to be kind of nutty, actually. The vast majority of kids not starting until 11th grade just won't develop that mentality.

Peewee really isn't violent. Most of the tackling is kids falling in to each other. I think all year there may have been 5-6 big hits.

Comment

My original post you responded to ... I said about the kid waiting until 11th grade (not 9th grade). There is a significant development difference in 9th grade as opposed to 11th grade. No doubt. Football is as much mentality as anything. On every high school team you see kids who are great athletes but don't have the mentality to play football. It's not for everybody. You need to be kind of nutty, actually. The vast majority of kids not starting until 11th grade just won't develop that mentality.

Peewee really isn't violent. Most of the tackling is kids falling in to each other. I think all year there may have been 5-6 big hits.

Comment

Maybe this is the difference, in the past, just day to day living as a kid usually gave you the "football mentality" - sandlot games, fights, playground life. By 9th grade, you new where you stood, and would play or not depending.

Comment

This is a great point, and one which is really telling in high school ball.

The next-level kids, the ones who "loom" over a high school game, are the ones you could identify early. They were playing as freshmen, sophomores because they were football players. If you're moving into a starting role in 11th or 12th grade, especially at smaller schools, chances are you're a program kid who is getting his chance because there's nobody better at that time.

Comment

Maybe this is the difference, in the past, just day to day living as a kid usually gave you the "football mentality" - sandlot games, fights, playground life. By 9th grade, you new where you stood, and would play or not depending.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X