Clear All

Re: PSAC Rushing Crown

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Guarantee he is shut down by IUP and Clarion
    and Mercyhurst

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      173 yards and 2 TDs isn't necessarily "never even been close to a factor". I'm not saying he ran you over either.

BTW, you're damning the Cal defense with faint praise of Jones. Edinboro is a much more balanced offense than Gannon so Cal's coaching staff knew they had to plan to defend against the run yet Jones still put 276 on them this year.
      Like everyone is saying Cal's not that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
        At first I was thinking that Jones' numbers were more impressive since he missed the second half against West Chester and the first half against Kutztown. But you make a good point that he has played one less game but has game's worth more carries. 6.3 yards/carry for Fletcher to 5.7 yards/carry for Jones. Jones had big games against the weaker rushing defenses of Seton Hill - 9.4 yards/carry - and Cal - 7.3 yards/carry.
        Jones is not that impressive to me. If you can protect the back side, his game plan is over. Film don't lie, 75 percent of his big yardage comes on the cut back, where containment was not present. He's an average back to me, I want to see vision being used which seldom happen and he has horrible footwork, he's nowhere close to a Jerome Bettis who had vision, footwork, speed, and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
          Jones is not that impressive to me. If you can protect the back side, his game plan is over. Film don't lie, 75 percent of his big yardage comes on the cut back, where containment was not present. He's an average back to me, I want to see vision being used which seldom happen and he has horrible footwork, he's nowhere close to a Jerome Bettis who had vision, footwork, speed, and power.

No kidding? Maybe that's why he's in D2?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            No kidding? Maybe that's why he's in D2?
            Sorry for using JB as an example, maybe I should have said he lacks vision, footwork, and speed.

Comment

I actually think Bullock is the best all around back but the kid just can't stay healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                I actually think Bullock is the best all around back but the kid just can't stay healthy.
                No doubt.

The kid at Cal is underappreciated.

Comment

Everyone talks about Jones...but Walter Fletcher is just 55 yards behind Jones for the PSAC rushing lead.

Should be interesting to see how the schedule plays out. Gannon has Mercyhurst, Slippery Rock, and Lock Haven. While Edinboro has Clarion, IUP, and Kutztown (or Bloomsburg if KU and Rock make the State Game).

Comment

No doubt.

The kid at Cal is underappreciated.
                    Bullock is the IUP back not Cal.

Comment

Sorry for using JB as an example, maybe I should have said he lacks vision, footwork, and speed.
                      I may have been a little to hard on Jones, I'll give better feedback once I see him live Saturday. But my film study is normally correct.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        Bullock is the IUP back not Cal.
                        I think the kid at Cal is underrated. IUP running backs are appropriately appreciated.

Comment

I may have been a little to hard on Jones, I'll give better feedback once I see him live Saturday. But my film study is normally correct.
                          Don't know what the film shows but in person this kid is a beast. I don't know if he is the "best" or not (I am partial to Bullock) but he's in the top 2. He runs hard and keeps churning, if you are going to hit him high prepare to go for a ride. jus sayin

Comment

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
                            Don't know what the film shows but in person this kid is a beast. I don't know if he is the "best" or not (I am partial to Bullock) but he's in the top 2. He runs hard and keeps churning, if you are going to hit him high prepare to go for a ride. jus sayin
                            He hits the secondary ... you got problems. Lot of power. Low to the ground.

Gannon's OL got blown up by IUP much of the day which helped get an initial hit on him, stunt him and wait for the cavalry.

I mentioned yesterday in the game thread ... the key to Gannon is to keep them on long drives. IUP had a horrendous day on kick coverage. All five GU TDs came after short fields. Pin GU deep and they have a completely different (much worse) offense. In a short-field situation, Jones is a monster. They don't really have any threat of going deep but run the dink/dunk stuff fairly well at times.

Mercyhurst will be very patient and conservative. Punch back and GU gets frustrated .. and then self-implodes with stupid penalties.

Comment

I saw Jones in person vs WCU. I wasn't that impressed, he looked slow and the freshman Melvin Blanks definitely had a quicker step.

The last 4 weeks, stats say otherwise. Maybe he just wasn't in "football shape"

Comment

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
                                Never said he did not have power, he's missing the other 3 elements that make up a good runner.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X