Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Latest in the Cheyney Saga

Cheyney faces allegations of misspending in lawsuits by former top administrators

Middle States accreditation decision in November

Shocked that their doors are still open.

Comment

What are you guys talking about? This article said their turnaround is a blueprint for state universities

https://www.penncapital-star.com/com...s-mark-okeefe/
      https://hbcubuzz.com/2019/09/cheyney...-universities/

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
        What are you guys talking about? This article said their turnaround is a blueprint for state universities

Yikes, everybody has been doing cutting costs and new programs for like 10 years - except maybe Cheyney, You can't beat demographics with that, more likely there will be more forced sharing of resources, until the weaker schools become limited to the majors they can support, and with the number of faculty that can be supported. The new contract will be interesting to see as well, should see that sometime this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

The article on 9/22 in HBCU Buzz bylined by Tommy Meade is word-for-word from the 9/3 one. But what a novel concept - cut waste and start programs that can attract new students.

Comment

What a circus and to think they were so close to getting to maintain their accreditation. If there are any truths to the missapproriate use of that scholarship money I can't see how they are able to get an extension on accreditation or secure future funding from the state.

Comment

Nobody seems to want to say it, but unless another institution, WCU, PSU, TEMPLE, chooses to step in and take on a reclamation project, I would strongly urge the Band aid approach. Close the doors and save all the grief and money.

Comment

I hate being one of those guys, but this is sometimes what happens when you insert an outsider at the top. One of the reasons the schools can't pivot as quickly as others is the amount of bureaucratic red tape put on them from Harrisburg. HOWEVER...he probably knew better and did it anyway. They're not going to succeed if they're viewed as a sh*t show.

Comment

I'm going to assume the fired administrator is telling the truth because there seems to be no reason for her not to.

It's cheating. They cheated to try to meet the accreditation requirements. Hopefully, the accreditation agency doesn't find a reason to rationalize this. And if they don't get accredited they are going down. Cheyney will be no more. They should have been absorbed by WCU years ago, retaining their identity and existence in some form.

I guess these latest developments will not be covered by The Philadelphia Tribune (whose CEO is the President of the Board of Directors at CU).

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                    I'm going to assume the fired administrator is telling the truth because there seems to be no reason for her not to.

It's cheating. They cheated to try to meet the accreditation requirements. Hopefully, the accreditation agency doesn't find a reason to rationalize this. And if they don't get accredited they are going down. Cheyney will be no more. They should have been absorbed by WCU years ago, retaining their identity and existence in some form.

I guess these latest developments will not be covered by The Philadelphia Tribune (whose CEO is the President of the Board of Directors at CU).
                    These things are never so black and white and they seem. There is always flexibility in how to award scholarships. There is always a question of tying up a scholarship for a really good student that probably will not attend in the end, vs giving scholarships to weaker students, where the scholarship might make the difference on whether they attend or not. these questions can get quite contentious, but in the end everybody is just guessing. I suppose the president gets the final guess on the topic. It may be that the whistleblowers are disgruntled because they have been held accountable for how scholies were used in the past, and for wasting money with bad decisions. The issue about to bid or not bid is tricky , too. There are certain companies that have a deal with the state to allow sole source purchases and contracts. These change pretty regularly though, so sometimes it is possible to ask for a no bid, thinking there should be no problem, and have purchasing say you can't do it. As long as purchasing agents are doing their job, you can fix it and follow regulations - but if this is what a provost is worried about ? Seems like they're just looking to make trouble. This also happens alot when someone comes in and shakes up a cozy system.

Comment

Why would WCU want that?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Why would WCU want that?
                        Mostly good PR. The school that likely had the most to do with the decline of CHEYNEY, through rapid growth and expansion of curriculum, manages to save an HBCU of some historical significance. Could actually turn it into academic center focused on the history of race relations in the country. The campus exists, use largely WCU faculty and establish endowment from people who claim to care about such things. It's put up or shut up time for the progressive elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Why would WCU want that?
                          I don't know but I think it could have been done in a way that benefitted WCU. Plus, WCU and CU are both part of a system and don't have complete autonomy e.g. WCU and all the other schools didn't really have a choice in sending millions of dollars to Cheyney to "rescue" it. But, I know, it's idealistic and it's not going to happen.
                          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 09-23-2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

These things are never so black and white and they seem. There is always flexibility in how to award scholarships.
                            True. There's a lot we don't know. However, these are not run of the mill scholarships. These scholarships for their Honors Program are straight from the state budget and the money is earmarked for a specific purpose - Honors Program students who meet specific academic criteria - as laid out in the latest agreement with PASSHE and the Middle States accreditation. If they gave the money to unqualified students I would see that as a problem. Further, it doesn't seem hard to prove.

Comment

I don't know but I think it could have been done in a way that benefitted WCU. Plus, WCU and CU are both part of a system and don't have complete autonomy e.g. WCU and all the other schools didn't really have a choice in sending millions of dollars to Cheyney to "rescue" it. But, I know, it's idealistic and it's not going to happen.
                              I would suggest that PASSHE would be responsible for resolving whatever current financial issues the school has. WCU would be responsible for the future direction and funding based on whatever model they have used in becoming an outstanding university. The NEW CHEYNEY would not use the full service model which has clearly not succeeded. It would be an adjunct of WCU with it's curriculum tailored to a a unique mission. I can actually see this as a practical test of possible future actions in scaling down PASSHE as a whole.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X