Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
    "The days of disciplining are over ".......

I don't buy that at all!

One technique is to tell the players what is and is not acceptable on field conduct. Violate the "not acceptable" threshothre gets the player some face time with position or head coach. Do it again and the player gets benched for a few plays or series. Repeat it more gets more extended bench time.

Most players will "get it" and adjust. Teammate will see it too, and understand it, if done out in the open for all to see. If a player doesn't respond you can try other steps, but chances are the player may never adjust and will be a long term problem. Buy that one a bench seat.

One or two "10 cent head" players are not worth ruining a teams season.
    I didn't say "the days of disciplining are over." I said "The days of running and conditioning as "punishment" are long past when you get to the college game." Which is for the most part pretty true. If you come across as a disciplinarian and make players run like their middle and high school coaches did because they didn't know how to "coach," then you're going to lose your team. And word gets out and players won't want to come play for you.

You can "discipline" players in the manner in which you're suggesting, and I'm for that. But understand that it potentially hurts your team more not having that guy out there is all that I'm saying. There's no perfect solution to this.

This is one of those scenarios where it a lot of responsibility also falls on the players to hold their teammates accountable. Teams with good leadership do that.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I didn't say "the days of disciplining are over." I said "The days of running and conditioning as "punishment" are long past when you get to the college game." Which is for the most part pretty true. If you come across as a disciplinarian and make players run like their middle and high school coaches did because they didn't know how to "coach," then you're going to lose your team. And word gets out and players won't want to come play for you.

You can "discipline" players in the manner in which you're suggesting, and I'm for that. But understand that it potentially hurts your team more not having that guy out there is all that I'm saying. There's no perfect solution to this.

This is one of those scenarios where it a lot of responsibility also falls on the players to hold their teammates accountable. Teams with good leadership do that.
      The other issue is that often the best players at D2 are here because they lack discipline - in a number of areas, that otherwise might have landed them at D1 - good coaching/leadership helps build this in players, but its not like D1 where if you mess up there are 5 guys ready to take your place.

But I think the real question I have is how close do the officials call PFs ? Sure there are certain things they have to call - late hits, punches, but then there is the taunting , pushing, celebration, things like that. There is the new block in the back / blind side block penalties, I've seen a bunch that were blocks in the side, then there is the judgement calls of holding and PI - I suppose my question is are the PSAC officials calling too many of these compared to whats normal. The stats I can access says they probably are, given the fact that the PSAC west teams are all highly penalized relative to national D2 levels. Or the PSAC west teams just play dirtier

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

The other issue is that often the best players at D2 are here because they lack discipline - in a number of areas, that otherwise might have landed them at D1 - good coaching/leadership helps build this in players, but its not like D1 where if you mess up there are 5 guys ready to take your place.

But I think the real question I have is how close do the officials call PFs ? Sure there are certain things they have to call - late hits, punches, but then there is the taunting , pushing, celebration, things like that. There is the new block in the back / blind side block penalties, I've seen a bunch that were blocks in the side, then there is the judgement calls of holding and PI - I suppose my question is are the PSAC officials calling too many of these compared to whats normal. The stats I can access says they probably are, given the fact that the PSAC west teams are all highly penalized relative to national D2 levels. Or the PSAC west teams just play dirtier

The special teams personal fouls, in particular, drive me insane watching IUP. It's nearly every time they cover a kick. Tackle is made. Walk away. Sounds simple. But, without fail, they (IUP) loves to taunt the opponent. Which, of course, leads to more chirping or pushing. And, then, the yellow laundry hits the turf. It's just over and over and over the past three years.

I get the 'kickoff coverage' crew is typically the crazy people on the bench. You have be somewhat of a lunatic to do that job well. IUP24 calls them the more 'LIT-AF' guys on the team. But, man, those 15-yarders hurt.

I think Curt was much more of a disciplinarian than Tort. That said, Curt had mass player departure issues. It's fairly obvious from watching the team the players seem to like playing for Tort more. But, it's a fine line. In the soft interviews they normally say the kids are just fired up and emotional. That's not really a good excuse when those actions are routinely causing hurt to your team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X