X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP412
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

As you may recall, they were mad Lock Haven hired away a sitting D2 head coach and had the nerve to pay him a competitive salary.
    LH Job no hope, winning season would be only happen if they played in a bad league so rule that out just got tougher with SU replacing Cheyney...Boro job there is hope, can get NY kids and most of PA and dip into Maryland..dont forget Tepper won there and he was an awful Coach...just sayin

Leave a comment:

• IUP412
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yep. No big uglies and no wins. That simple.
    Yes IUP has had a laundry list of great backs and receivers, but the great years can be traced to dominating OL and DL years 2012 and 2017 for sure....just sayin

Leave a comment:

• IUP412
    replied

If Slippery Rock can be as good as they are with just 18 full scholarships then Lock Haven could be fairly competitive with 10-12.

I don't think your statement is fair to the rest of the conference - plus the schedule is made two years at a time two years ahead of schedule. I'm not sure PSU's schedule is that concrete. I think Lock Haven could do themselves a small favor and adjust start times based on Penn State's.
    18 come again, they had that amount 10 years ago, way ahead of that now...
    just sayin

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Gregory to Boro would be a great hire....would not be surprised at all....just sayin
    After Saturday can he take Jim with him?

Leave a comment:

• IUP412
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Smith I could see. Gregory, not even close.
    Gregory to Boro would be a great hire....would not be surprised at all....just sayin

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    I don't know anything about anything, but if I was Lock Haven, this is what I'd do:
    • Hire someone who has been a head coach before and who has a defensive background.
    • Have him hire an OC who has a background in the Triple Option or something of that nature.
    • Have your HC be your DC.
    • Take your limited scholarship money and put it into the best QB you can find who ran your offense in high school. If he's out of state, get him anyway. Money shouldn't be a consideration on this.
    • Put a few dollars into a serviceable backup because your QB is going to take a beating.
    • Put the rest of your money into linemen on both sides of the ball. You can get all the 5-10, 180-pound RBs and 5-11, 200-pound LBs you need locally.
    • On defense, don't do anything risky. Play a simple base and try to keep things in front of you. Be competitive on the line of scrimmage. Stress fundamentals like tackling and leverage.
    • Basic philosophy should be to run the ball and eat the clock on offense and limit the big plays on defense. Don't let games get out of hand.
    Funny. Realistic, but funny.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's certainly a good idea. In theory, the Triple Option also eats up a lot of clock -- so long as you can keep the chains moving. The more you're on offense the less you're on defense.

Lock Haven reminds me a lot of Moneyball (movie or book). You'd have to think differently to win there. As stated above you have to find the players overlooked for one reason or another.

The Triple Option or Veer helps even the odds. It gives you an offense nobody ever sees in the PSAC. Teams can't prepare for it in a week -- well, it's very difficult, anyway.

As is, Lock Haven is the last dog to the recruiting bowl.

It's worth a shot. Nobody is going to win there trying to play the big boys straight up.
    I agree though with throwing big money at unique opportunities for skill positions. Go find some guys who want to study a unique major to Lock Haven. I used to have a coworker who went to Lock Haven from suburban Pittsburgh. She said its a much better student experience than we'd assume.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I agree with you EdinboroFB - but what would be the plan on defense? Lean and mean doesn't work well most other offenses are recruiting hogs to support air raid and spread offenses.

It's certainly a good idea. In theory, the Triple Option also eats up a lot of clock -- so long as you can keep the chains moving. The more you're on offense the less you're on defense.

Lock Haven reminds me a lot of Moneyball (movie or book). You'd have to think differently to win there. As stated above you have to find the players overlooked for one reason or another.

The Triple Option or Veer helps even the odds. It gives you an offense nobody ever sees in the PSAC. Teams can't prepare for it in a week -- well, it's very difficult, anyway.

As is, Lock Haven is the last dog to the recruiting bowl.

It's worth a shot. Nobody is going to win there trying to play the big boys straight up.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I agree with you EdinboroFB - but what would be the plan on defense? Lean and mean doesn't work well most other offenses are recruiting hogs to support air raid and spread offenses.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    I bet Navy has most if not all guys not even Pitt "wanted"

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    The point of the running the triple option....is because you cant win recruiting battles. So you have to recruit guys that fit the system that you can get. That's why the service academies run it. And the point if LH were to do it.

And even the spread option eveining the playing field was because it's not going against 4 and 5 star lineman in a phone booth anymore.

Too much ball control and not enough speed gets you mercyhurst and Bloom offensive production.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

If nobody else wants them, why would you?

I can't disagree more with this. Take a look around at any level of football and find a team that wins consistently without a good OL or DL or both. That's why they should put their money into that. If you have a good OL and a good DL, you have a chance. If you don't ... you don't.
    Yep. No big uglies and no wins. That simple.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied

I can't disagree more with this. Take a look around at any level of football and find a team that wins consistently without a good OL or DL or both. That's why they should put their money into that. If you have a good OL and a good DL, you have a chance. If you don't ... you don't.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    I would maybe change is put most of the money into speed skill players and recruit all the 5-11 to 6-1 230 to 260 lb strongest quickest lineman that nobody else wants.

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    Playmakers can win with average players in a lot of spots. IMO.

Leave a comment:

• LHUEaglez
    replied
    CONGRATS! To LHU for getting rid of former "Coach" Taynor... By any measure by which a coach can be measured he failed to measure up:
    Wins and Losses... Obvious Fail
    Ability to retain players... Obvious Fail
    Ability to hire and retain good Assistant Coaches... Obvious Fail
    ETC...
    The only thing consistent was lopsided loses and more than numerous excuses as to why he couldn't field a more competitive team, excuses that never demonstrated any level of his ownership in the fact that he was hired to run and develop the program! Instead it was: I don't have the funding, the Asistant Coaches or Players to be competitive... ALL Things that a "Head Coach" is responsible for controlling and developing! There all listed in the Damn Job Description and Responsibilities of the position!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X